Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three loads of laundry washed, dried, folded.

Went to IGA expecting to pick up semi-defrosted and cut apart duck for Thanksgobble. No. It is coming in after the store closes today. Frozen. Sara the butcher said she could leave it out to thaw and she'd cut it apart (I want breasts off, legs off, but keep carcass and wings that I'll use for stock.) I'll have to go back tomorrow. Not happy. Will shove it in my freezer ear-marked for Christmas. Took some venison out to slow thaw for Thursday.

Needed brandy for fruitcake. Went to one local liquor store where they had either more expensive brandy or something labeled - I kid you not - Immature Brandy. It is apparently un-aged, with added essences/extracts. I think not. Went to second liquor store. Amiable manager, had the E&J brandy I can use. I said it was for fruitcake and he reached down a small bottle. "No," I said, "I bake a lot of fruitcake." He agreed I would need the larger bottle and fetched one down for me. Between what I had from last year and this bottle it has all been decanted in three jars. One each with dark raisins, yellow raisins, dried Zante "currants." Care to guess what I will be baking tomorrow?

Dishwasher now running. So nice to have assistance with washing clothes and dishes.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH!!!
Was expecting a nice quiet day home with Geoffrey... nope!!! ugh
My friend called. She said she had 'something' for me as a T-day Gift! UGHGHGHGH! She wanted to know when I would be home, just to hand ti to me!!! ugh.

It is nice she thought of me, but..... I did not plan on this! Me, being me, I cannot accept a gift without reciprocating.

*So, Up early, not as early as yesterday-- back to TJ's.. She loves pomegranates. TJ's has there's enormous pomegranates, only for T-day.. I got her one last year. She said it was awesome. I saw them there yesterday, almost bought her a couple! Dam.. should have gone with my instincts!
and I will get something small for her husband~ sweet tooth...
*late morning stuff, again....
*Kathy
*several phone calls, with T-day wishes...

nothing else...

Really upset.. I have been feeding Geoffrey Royal Canid Rabbit food. Ordered a new case and a new dry bag... They changed their labeling and formula!! ugh.. confirmed with RC !!!!!:livid:

Since I opened the new bag, Geoffrey has been slowly not eating his dry food.. dam
I have also noticed an increase in his water intake.. ugh..

I wonder if they added extra sodium to the mix.. They said they did not..but who can you trust??
Geoffrey is now refusing his dry food! I have a 7 pound bag of it! not cheap..

Tried going back to the W/D food.. he was eating it, so I mixed some in the the rabbit.. nope..

I guess he will come around. This is the point where I usually cave in, trying all different kinds of food. I have to be strong.. and stick to one... being a BAD momma... I did not do that with Artie, and created a monster. I have to trust the Vets opinion on this..

It is just my gut feeling, but I do not want to give him a variety of flavors, or food My gut feeling is that he does have some IBD. I am trying to stay away from all chicken; Artie was allergic to chicken. Just my gut feeling from previous experience.

UGH.. and he vomited yesterday!! ugh.. again..
I really need to give him a good brushing.. but I do not want to stress him out... He needs it.. sigh..

Oh well.. Happy day before T-day...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First batch of fruitcake - six small loaves - is in the slow oven at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 1/2 hours. I hope to make and bake a second batch today. But dough for a no knead, slow rise loaf of bread that was started yesterday before dinner is going to require a 450 degree F. oven in the early afternoon. Timing, timing will be everything.

Since I have to pick up the frozen duck at the IGA I will also stop at the farm and feed for wild bird seed. And grit my teeth and go to the farm stand for apple cider donuts and cider. I am not really anticipating a joyful time in the stores.

Bye for now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick got up with the girls this morning, so the M & Ms and I lounged until about 8:00. Got up, enjoyed my coffee while talking to Rick about politics; yeah, we're still talking about politics. Chewy just came with the girls' cat food order; I've started ordering from Chewy again, this time for the regular canned food. I want to get a good canned cat food stash for them for the winter and Chewy is the best way to do it. Turns out, it's cheaper than the grocery store. Looks like we won't be ordering anything from PetSmart on BF.
  • I had put butter in the microwave overnight to soften for the sugar cookies. Will be making sugar cookies today. I must also bake a butternut squash and puree the thing, so I can make a "pumpkin" pie tonight. It's supposed to be cold enough throughout the night that we should be able to brine the turkey in the basement with lots of ice. I also will bake a batch of cornbread for stuffing for tomorrow. Must get the sausage out of the freezer today, also for the stuffing tomorrow.
  • Take some cranberry relish to my sister's for her Thanksgiving dinner. They're going to be visiting with their son and his family in Maryland. While over there, I need to put gas into Clarence. I haven't put him away for the winter yet; we're not due for any snow for a while.
  • A quick vacuum, wipe down the bathroom. Even if it is just Rick and me, I still like things to look halfway decent anyway.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take spare set of keys to husband's work because he locked his in the car. :rolleyes:

Take youngest to get Learner's Permit finally. Appointment has been canceled due to Covid at least 3 times

Stop by Bob Evans to pick up Thanksgiving dinner for tomorrow.

Make out grocery list for Friday.

Go through Christmas decorations to see what I will use and what I can give away.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
regular stuff

My ginger gang is not coming as often and they're turning up their noses at the dry food. They look well fed.

Fresh bedding, throws, blankets. K dried at the launderette on Wednesday but I didn't want to disturb Cal
by putting it on.so waited till yesterday

Staying home today. I didn't think it was safe to go to Nicole's because there will be other family members there
that I haven't been around lately..They'll bring food for me. It's not a big deal, I've spent lots of holidays alone.
Last Christmas Eve, I could only make it about 20 mins at Nicole's and had to go home because of pain.
AMC used to to air The Godfather 1 and 2 ever Thanksgiving but I no longer have tv so I don't know if they still
do it.

C catapault I don't normally like fruit cake but yours sounds so good. Do you put nuts in it?
Winchester Winchester What does your stuffing consist of?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Our stuffing is done in the crockpot. White bread, whole wheat bread, cornbread, onions and celery, sauteed sausage, chopped apples, seasonings, eggs, broth. Alton Brown used to say "Stuffing is evil!" and while I don't believe that, I did stop stuffing birds for the most part. And Dear Richard just loves the crockpot stuffing, so it works. (My mother stuffed poultry for years, as did I, and we survived quite well.)

Crockpot Stuffing

1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
1/4 parsley, minced
12-13 cups slightly dry bread cubes
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1-1/2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2 to 2-1/2 c. chicken or turkey broth
2 eggs, beaten

Melt butter in skillet and sauté onion, celery, and parsley. Pour over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Add all seasonings and toss well. Pour in enough broth to moisten; add beaten eggs and mix well. Grease crock pot with butter. Pack lightly into crock pot. Cover; cook on high 45 minutes; then reduce to low 4 to 8 hours. Makes 6 servings.

RECIPE NOTE: Two 7-ounce packages seasoned stuffing mix may be substituted for bread cubes. Use 3 to 3½ cups chicken broth; omit herbs and salt.

What I do: Don't use the butter. Instead brown 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of bulk sausage. Add the onion, celery, and parsley to the skillet and saute. I also add two Granny Smith apples (peeled and chopped) to the skillet. I like to use a combination of white, whole wheat, and cornbread cubes instead of just one kind of bread. I use a bit more of the herbs than what the recipe specifies. I do not use all of the broth. I take the lid off the crock pot for the last 45 minutes and only cook the stuffing for about 4 hours.

We received beautiful flowers yesterday, from Chewy. I had received a "We miss you" card from Chewy, along with a code for $15 off our next order. Since I am stocking up on canned cat food for the girls (and PetSmart isn't doing a BF event that we can use), I took advantage of the coupon. Somebody from Chewy actually emailed me to ask why we hadn't ordered our prescription food for Jackie and Ms. Pepe. I explained that they had passed away back in the spring. And they sent flowers! Awesome company!

My three things for today:
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee
  • The apple and raisin pie is in the oven; will make a bit of caramel sauce to top the pie. Did the pumpkin pie last night as well as made the sugar cookies and baked the cornbread. Cornbread was out overnight in the microwave to dry a bit.
  • It will be a cooking day today!
I told Bob (co-worker) to come over around 4:00 to pick up his Turkey Day dinner. He's all excited. I hope everything is as good as what he thinks it will be! Rick was furious; he misunderstood me and thought Bob was actually coming in the house for dinner. When I explained that he was just coming over to pick up food and wouldn't even be coming into the house, he calmed down and was fine with that. He likes Bob a lot, too, but he doesn't want anybody in the house right now.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
M mia ---((HUGS))) to you and Cal for a peaceful, enjoyable T-day... and to all my friends here!

Winchester Winchester OMG.. your stuffing sounds delicious! I could make a meal of that, gravy, and cranberry sauce---I am with Rick on this.. The canned Jelly type..

I am doing my untraditional T-day meal today. A friend gave me 2 lobs of Italian cookies!! unexpected! .. I also have a pumpkin pie...

Got a phone call last night from the Rabbi, in the building.. I am not Jewish, but the parent company is, and the building was originally, 42 years ago, only open to Jewish people. Now, they are in the minority. The Rabbi, female. does a lot for the tenants in here.

The staff is coming round, between 9-12, distributing pies to all of us.. They will be knocking on the door, and probably just giving us a slice of pie.. but it is a nice gesture, which they have not done before...
Sweet of them..

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch the Macy's Day parade

Relax after a busy day yesterday

Have a nice Thanksgiving meal with my husband and two sons

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second batch of fruitcake is in the oven, with less than an hour to go.

Venison round bone steak is marinating with crushed juniper berries, crushed allspice, crushed black peppercorns, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, and red vermouth.

Made a relish of thinly sliced red onion sauteed in butter, added cranberries, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, simmered until thick. I'll like it, Himself - probably not.

Moving along on countdown to dinnertime.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go grocery shopping

Clean litter boxes

Wait for roofer to come give an estimate

Decorate outside for Christmas

Decorate inside for Winter/Christmas

Pick up dinner

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
With Thanksgiving behind us, we're going to be busy this weekend decorating the house for Christmas.
  • Rick got up with the girls. And after breakfast, one by one, the girls came back to the bedroom and hopped on the bed. Tabby came first, followed by Molli, and then Muffin. (We don't let Amber in the bedroom because she's a pee-er and she'll pee in the bed). So when I awakened, there were the three girls, all cuddled up next to me. (Tabby has only recently started coming to bed in the morning. Usually it's just the M & Ms. Evidently, she has decided that she likes the warmth of the bed, too.)
  • The oven is on self-clean and I have a load of wash in the washer.
  • I'll need to scoop this morning; Rick has done it for the past two days because I was busy in the kitchen both Wednesday and Thursday.
  • I've asked Dear Richard to put up the Tacky White Tree, either in the kitchen or in the shed. He opted for the shed. After he gets the thing together, I'll decorate it. And while I'm doing that, he'll put the living room tree up in the house.
It's going to be a fairly nice weekend around here. I'd like for us to get outside and do some lights and decorating.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Slowly starting the day

reg morning stuff
Put things away, from yesterday
Perhaps take fall things down.
have to dust before Christmas goes up

leftovers for supper. Without wine.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Need to bake the third and last batch of fruitcakes. But I forgot to take butter out of the refrigerator last night to soften so I could bake in the morning. Oh well. As long as it is today it will be mission accomplished.

2) But I need to carefully plan the timing so I'm not preparing or cakes coming out of the oven at 3:00 p.m. That's when we're Zooming with family in NYC, MA, and Texas

3) And I'm putting out the last of the seasonal decorations. Some are going in their always places. Others are in new ones. Which of course means adaptations. Maybe I'll show you pictures when it's done.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I'd love to see pictures. Please share.
artiemom artiemom Beautiful pictures of your table.
Mia6 Mia6 Are you OK?

My turn to get up with the girls. Amber started yelling at 5:15. At 5:45, Tabby presented me with a hairball. That's when I decided to just get out of bed.
  • Cleaned said hairball, gave the girls their breakfast, emptied the dishwasher, threw a load of wash into the washer, washed my hair, and am sitting back here with my coffee. I need to scoop this morning.
  • I'll be working on holiday decorating today.
  • During the week of the election, Bob told me that PA would go for Biden; I just had to be patient. We made a deal: If PA did go for Biden, I'd make him a pan of mac and cheese. Well, we all know what happened. And when I received a text saying, "Mac and Cheese 2020!" I knew that PA was Biden's. I'm making Bob's mac and cheese today and he'll pick it up on his way home from work. He's working on a Saturday to get a few things done in the office.
  • Followed by more decorating.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I'm ok, Pam. Foot still needs to heal, I didn't wear a bandage on it last night and it broke open so I cleaned it
and put more antibiotic on and put another bandage on.. Doc upped one of my meds for depression but it will take awhile to kick in.
So sweet if Chewy's to send flowers for your loss.

Thanksgiving meal.
@LTS3chicken thighs with cranberries— doubled sauce
Rice pilaf
Fresh green beans.
Your table looks so beautiful!! Did you and LT eat together?

slowly doing regular stuff
more bedding and throws
going to take it easy today

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I'm ok, Pam. Foot still needs to heal, I didn't wear a bandage on it last night and it broke open so I cleaned it
and put more antibiotic on and put another bandage on.. Doc upped one of my meds for depression but it will take awhile to kick in.
So sweet if Chewy's to send flowers for your loss.

Your table looks so beautiful!! Did you and LT eat together?

slowly doing regular stuff
more bedding and throws
going to take it easy today
Oh Mia, I ams o sorry you are going through this with your food...

Many years ago, long story, but I ended up with a bad cut on my heel.. kind of on the side hedge of it only the bottom, sole.. It was so painful to heal.

I was vacationing, and on my way home from Cape Cod. It was the right foot--I was driving. I did not dare go to the hospital down there. If I had stitches, I had no way of getting back home.. it was horrible. I was with my dad, and he could not drive, 2+ hours in stop and go traffic, load up the car, etc..

So I bandaged up my heal as best I could, stopping to change it every hour or so--bleeding through.
By the time I got home, it was hours later.. about 2, after I unpacked the car, it was still bleeding. I ended up having my dad drive me to the ER. At that point it was over 3 hours .. stupid, local, ER...

They said it was too long to stitch it up!! Had to be there within 2- 3 hours; otherwise a chance of severe infection was possible.. All they did was shake it, clean it, bandage it, and give me crutches.

Bottom line: I had to stay off of it.. It had to heal from within.. instead of being aided by stitches!!
It took weeks, and I mean weeks to heal... and to stop oozing. Each time I stepped down with it, it broke the healing process...

Then I ended up with plantar fasciitis.. I had a ton of pain, each time after I put weight on that foot. Nothing would stop it.. I was out of work for a couple months.

Finally, got to see an orthopedic doc... He ordered PT for me. The therapist decided to use therapeutic ultrasound treatments to see if it would speed healing. That, along with slow short walks with a cane, and a heel support/cup.. helped so much..

I feel for you.. I really do...
I wish you well....and speedy recovery..
~~~~~~~~~
No, LTS3 and myself did not eat together. It was just the recipe she posted.. and it was delish!! quick, easy.. festive... so good...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went to take butter out of the refrigerator last night, to prepare chocolate chip cookies, I discovered I had used it all for the three batches of fruitcake! Three X 3/4 lb. Trundled downstairs to freezer, took a pound of butter out. Put one stick/8 Tablespoons into microwave to thaw overnight and put the rest of the package in the refrigerator. Which obviously will have to be emptied, cleaned, and rearranged today.

So this morning I prepared the cookie dough, scooped, and refrigerated the spheres for baking this afternoon.

Finish seasonal decorating. Now that Mrs Tiggywinkle et al are not goingwherever they used to go but are instead in the downstairs bathroom where I will see them more frequently . . . anyhow the assemblage will go on a wire cart so some figurines cannot balance. Asked Himself for thin piece of plywood on which to set them. Ended up with two thin pieces of wood, one of which needed to be stained. And I wanted to be sure it was completely dry before setting anything on it. Sigh. Complications, everything seems to have complications these days.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
wake up slowly because i slept all night and only got up once
put away the clean laundry and get another batch of dirty clothes ready for laundry day ( tomorrow)
get some mail ready to mailed out ... i have dozens of christmas cards to mail lol

Status
Not open for further replies.