Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
regular stuff

put in a load of dark smalls

make a list for Kaylee

Will probably read today if pain lets up, I'm way behind. Part of gang was here. I went back to bed for awhile and
3 of them were waiting for brekkie. They all 3 ate with me sitting on the deck. They never do that Cal saw them
and now her nose is out of joint, so she went on the bed where she knows they won't be, jealous girl.

I have to go to the Pain Clinic on the 7th of October instead of having a Zoom visit. I am not looking forward to it
because of the distance involved. My b.i.l. is taking me so it will be better than riding in one the vehicles the insurance
provides. The have a Jeep Cherokee. It has heated leather seats but the suspension, struts and shocks are not very
smooth so I'll have a pillow behind me and I'll sit on a soft throw.

Winchester Winchester Miss Monroe, so your girl likes being outside, hee, hee. My Vincie girl so adored the outdoors. I bet
she'll want to go out a few times a day now.
artiemom artiemom Are you having a flareup? Hope you're feeling better xxx
klunick klunick What did you have for your dinner?
Thanks Mia6 Mia6 Not a flare, just bad stuff happening... Today was a better day, because I decided to ignore things, and went out..

I have a ton of stuff to do in here, and it keeps multiplying; even though I am doing things, something else comes up.... Just busy, and aggravating... more and more things for me to deal with... the list keeps getting longer... sigh... and most of them involve spending money.. a lot of it... and brainwork...

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom :hugs: :hearthrob::redheartpump:

regular stuff

put in a load of sheets

Will read on deck until it gets too hot. Wash some smalls.and pj bottoms.

Of course the Ginger gang, rest awhile.....lots of loud partying on my street last night, groan

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up at 7am.. turned over, tried to nap a bit. Geoffrey was not having it. Oh no! He kept walking up to me, Meowing in my ear, wanting me up!!! HE has SPOKEN!!!

All he wanted to do was PLAY!! OMG.... crazy cat!!

Plans for today are up in the air. It is a very foggy and cool morning. I could barely see the shore line (beach). Still foggy 2.5 hrs later. They say the fog will burn off this afternoon, and be sunny and warmer.

*Regular morning stuff.
*Call to renew prescriptions
*Have to do at least one project in here. I have too many to ignore. The mountain keeps getting higher and higher.

** If up to it, dump and clean out of litter box... and then wash bathroom... especially tub... yuck .. an exhausting job.

*Supper will be easy: a repeat of last night. A really soft, Italian bread roll, filled with very rare roast beef, cheese; along with chips and pickles.

Cup of tea in afternoon...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Some good thoughts, please? We're taking Amber, Tabby, and Mollipop to the vet this afternoon. They all have some kind of discharge out of their noses. Started with Amber, then went to Tabby, then to Molli. So far, Muffin doesn't have it. Whatever it is, cats tend to eat what they smell....if a cat has trouble smelling food, they won't eat it. And that's what's going on. Amber hasn't eaten much at all in two days and Rick said Molli threw up this morning. We tried to get into the vet yesterday, but no luck. We got an emergency appt for this afternoon. We're more than a little worried as we've had cats for almost 50 years and we've never seen this with any of our kids. Thanks!
  • Molli and I lounged until 8:00, then started our day. I scooped boxes.
  • Talked with my co-worker this morning for about an hour. He and I stay in contact since I retired and usually talk 2-3 times a week about all kinds of stuff.
  • Emergency vet appt for the girls at 1:30 and we have no idea how long that will last.
  • Work on the Kitchen Kittens puzzle. We actually got quite a bit done yesterday.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Thanks so much!

The vet is not sure exactly what's wrong, but she's treating it as an upper respiratory infection. It might be some kind of allergic reaction, too, but we have no idea to what. Each girl got an antibiotics shot and they took a nose/discharge swab from all 3. Whatever it is, it's the same thing. We have had cats now for almost 50 years and we've never seen this in any of our clans. We're trying to figure out any changes in the house and we haven't a clue, unless it's something Rick and/or I dragged into the house on our shoes? We don't know. (We don't use any chemicals in the garden or in the flowerbeds. We use Home Defense around the perimeter of the house and shed for ants and such, but we've been using it for years. And that's pretty much it.) They didn't get as much of a swab from Mollipop as they did Tabby and Amber; the vet told Rick that Molli has some serious attitude going on. :) That's my girl! And when they brought her out, they had her in the carrier in one hand and were carrying her pillow in the other hand; she wouldn't let them put the pillow back in the carrier. When they handed the carrier to me, Molli gave them one last hiss and then started telling me her tale (tail?) of woe.

Amber Louse is going to be 19 in October. She is in kidney failure; we don't think we're going to do anything for her as she is elderly and it's hard to deal with it in an elderly kitty. We put Ms. Pepe on canned food for kidneys and she ate well and lived for another few years (she was 23 when she died). But Amber is very, very fussy when it comes to food. And all the planets have to be in perfect alignment for her to eat much of anything. Ok, while that's an exaggeration, it's not by much; everything has to be absolutely perfect or she gets weird. She finally started eating again yesterday. She has some ulcerations in her mouth that the vet says is caused by the kidneys, so that's why she wasn't eating. The antibiotics shot should help with that and they want to see her in ten days for another look at her mouth. We already set up the appt for that and will take her back in.

Our vet bill was $500. BUT the hospital charged us over $100 for an emergency visit for EACH cat. I wasn't particularly amused by that and Rick's thinking of complaining. I know, I know, but I do think that was pretty high. Maybe it's just us. But my sister even said, "You know, maybe it's time you need to start looking for another vet!" We paid over $600 for Muffin's dental a few weeks ago. Since they opened their new hospital, it seems that their fees have pretty much doubled for everything. It's frustrating. We tried to get in during normal hours, but they just don't have the time available anymore. And to get in for a normal visit during normal hours? Well, that takes a good 6 to 8 weeks.

And it's frustrating, too, that I cannot go in while they're examining the girls. Oh, I know, it's because of COVID and I get that. But I hate that they come out to the car, pick up the cats and they can do anything and we're not there. It really bothers me. They call us in the car to tell us what's going on and tell us how much the bill is. When they brought the girls back out to us, they gave me the bill and Rick gave them the check.

All of the girls ate breakfast this morning, although Molli only ate about half of hers. But at least Amber is eating again. I microwave her food, so she can smell it better. I'll have to start doing with Molli's food, too, so she'll start eating again. Strangely enough, Muffin hasn't gotten it (yet), which could be because she had the antibiotics shot when she had her dental. I don't know. Anyway, that's where we're at right now.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. I'll need to scoop boxes.
  • I have the first of two loads of laundry in the washer. When Rick gets out of bed, he'll strip it down, and I'll wash the sheets.
  • I took butter out of the fridge to make pumpkin bars later on this morning.
  • Vacuum and swiffer out in the shed this afternoon. Sweep the deck and patio; tis the season for lots and lots of leaves! Check the plants and water.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go for walk
Vacuum the bedrooms and living room
Do a couple loads of laundry

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester OUChie!!

The poor babies. I wonder how they picked up a URI... They are indoors..Weird....
I wonder if there was something in the food.. I always seem to be questioning the food.
But anything from the food, should not affect them this way.

Could it be an allergy?

Poor babies :hugs: You and Rick, will probably be playing nurse to them for a while.. poor things...
:nurse:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

That is quite an expense; but for the 3 kitties, it is not a bad deal. I mean it. I took Artie to an Emergency Room Vet Hospital, and I think I was charged an emergency fee. All I can remember his that the bill was very high; for not much of anything.

The cost seems to be in the range of what I would expect, up here. I have found that there are some local vets who charge less, but I am wary of their practices. I know... but after being a medical worker my entire life, I want the same quality of care for my babies.

Some of them are like Dr Pol: who does not use sterile procedures during surgeries. So you kind of get what you pay for.

Many years ago, With Artie, one of the newest and best vets in the practice; explained to me, when I asked, about how/why she chose to work at this particular vets office. She was honest, and told me it was because of their quality control. She said she interviewed at many practices, and like the cleanliness, sterile quality during procedures. She also admitted that I would be appalled at some of the things she saw, in the back rooms. I also saw the procedure rooms.. and the recovery kennel. So clean...

Many of them will not treat certain things, and snd you directly into a speciality hospital.. many do not have overnight monitoring, suggesting a speciality hospital~~~ which is expensive.

I did notice quite a hefty increase in price, since Covid. A steep increase. I am glad I have a CareCredit card, just for Geoffrey and my own dental work.

The $600 for dental, seems a nominal price to me. Geoffrey had a dental, along with 4 teeth extracted, in January. The bill was about $700.
~~~
I, also, do not care for the set-up at the Vets during this Pandemic. I think this is what is recommended through the American Veterinary Association. My Vets office posted the guidelines on their facebook and website. I would rather be with my guy when he is examined, and see the Vet, so I can talk face-to-face...
But, I guess we have to just 'go with the flow", during this non-year... the year that shouldn't have been....
~~
*regular morning things
*watch Mass on Zoom
* Run to Rite Aid for prescriptions And Walgreens, for a few things
* Read newspaper.
* wash down toilet

That is about it.

Yesterday, I did too much:
*regular morning stuff
*did some caulking around the windows
* dumped and cleaned out litter box
* washed tub and BR sink....
* went to trash room 3 times

Knee, shoulder and back were beginning to 'talk' to me, so I called it a day.. therefore, I need to do the toilet, today......

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I'm so sorry about your girls!! I hope they heal quickly. I feel $100.00 er fee for each kitty is too
high but what can you do? My Kirsten had kidney disease and lasted for another 3 years, :hugs: :redheartpump: :hearthrob:
artiemom artiemom Hope, knee, shoulder and back have stopped talking to you.

regular stuff

washed a few throws just put them in dryer

make a list for Kaylee

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting on Friday morning I had momentary dizziness when getting up out of bed. Not any other time, all day. Bend over to clean litter pan - no issues. An anomaly? Nope. Happened again on Saturday so went to doctor. "Grit" in middle ear is shifting. Need to try cannalith repositioning exercise. O.K. Did exercise on Saturday evening. Dizziness again on Sunday, but lessened. Will do again today and see how it goes. What a nuisance.

Rained last night. That's good because I transplanted about 20 colchicums on Saturday. That's bad, because the greenhouse roof is scheduled for replacement today. If it's overcast they can work. If it rains, I would imagine not. Time will tell.

Striped bed, sheets swishing around in washer. Fed cats. Made coffee, which I am imbibing. Need to get two hanging baskets out of greenhouse. Philodendron 'Brasil' - and both have grown so that they trail to the floor. Himself will move my car to the bottom of the driveway so the men can use the whole garage bay for entry to greenhouse, which may only be entered through door in garage.

Let's see, what else to catch you up with . . . I dropped my camera when camera bag (I have a couple of camera bags. This was my smallest "day trip" bag) twisted as I was taking camera out to take a picture end of last week. Broke filter. I mean broke - it fragmented. Drove an hour away to a real camera store. They even process film! He removed filter ring, meticulously cleaned camera, sold me a new filter. And a new camera bag. Yesterday I Scotch Guarded the new camera bag.

Yesterday I baked cranberry walnut muffins. With streusel topping, as Winchester Winchester suggested. chicken cacciatore for dinner. Moved plants from greenhouse to garage, moved plants in greenhouse to lower shelves so upper shelves are clear, moved greenhouse plants under greenhouse benches. All this so if men come they'll have better working area. Someone came and picked up 10 summer shirts I had put on Freecycle. I mean, I didn't wear them all summer so why put into winter storage to repeat again next summer.

Are you following this lengthy diatribe? I'm not sure I am. Wish me luck with the greenhouse today.

THEY'RE HERE!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're gone. The dimensions I had been given and passed on to Sunworks for the length of the panels are incorrect. Not too long. Oh no. That would be too easy. They are too short. Have to order new polycarbonate twin wall, no idea when they can get it. Days? A week? Longer? Meanwhile plants are sitting in garage with not much light. And the weather is going to get cold.

I am most definitely unhappy.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Work
Call Evergreen Disposal to get a new trash can. Ours is almost split in half from them banging it on the truck
Call DirecTV and ask about returning 3 receivers that aren't being used. Boys and I don't watch TV in our rooms.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I hope you're feeling better. My back has a tendency to yell at me from time to time, as do my hips and knees. It's a bugger.
Mia6 Mia6 Thanks for the good wishes for our girls!
C catapault I'm so sorry about everything. I know you were counting on it being finished, so you could move your plants in there. I hope they can get their act together. How were your cranberry walnut muffins with the streusel?

The girls' noses seem to be a little better this morning. Rick said that everybody ate a good breakfast, even Amber Louise, and they ate their after-breakfast breakfast with me, too, even though it was just kibble. That's wonderful, IMO; it may mean that the worst is over. Molli cuddled with me for a long time last night before moving up to "her" pillow in bed. And then came back to me several times during the night. She had been kind of distant; I thought it was because she simply wasn't feeling well and wanted to be alone. She stayed on "her" pillow and I kept my hand on her throughout the last two nights. She didn't move or shrug me off, so I'm thinking she was OK with that. Anyway, they seem to be doing better. Tabby's and Amber's noses are definitely the worst.

artiemom artiemom We don't how they got whatever it is they got. Believe me, we've been wracking our brains, trying to come with something, anything, that would explain it. Yeah, they are purely indoor.

My three things for today:
  • Molli and I lounged until 10:00 this morning. I told Rick that I'm making up for all those sleep-deprived years when I was working at the paper plant and going to college. I was awake at 5:00 when Amber started yelling, but after Rick got up to feed the girls, I dropped back off. Then after breakfast, Molli wanted back in the bedroom, so Rick opened the door for her. She walked up to me and we cuddled as we dropped back off to sleep. Fortunately Rick doesn't say anything when we get up so late. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Part of the joys of being retired, I guess.
  • I have to do tomatoes today. I came in from the she shed last night, walked out in the kitchen, and stopped dead. Rick just started laughing. We have PLATES of tomatoes! Not much in the way of peppers, but PLATES of tomatoes! Oy! Even Rick said the kitchen is going to look very empty once the garden has been put to bed for the winter without all those tomatoes all over the place. I might be able to let them go til tomorrow, but I'd rather do them today.
  • Vacuum the kitchen and living room.
Thank you for your wishes about our girls. They are feeling better. It is very much appreciated.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester So glad to hear you girls are doing batter!! If Amber Louise is squawking for her brekkie. she must ideed feel better.
C catapault How is the dizziness?

Regular stuff

Deck is a mess as it rained last night and I didn' tbring in the cushions or throws so I'm washing throws now and
letting the cushions dry inside.

GInger gang was here and white cat.

Cal was out but white cat frightens her, my poor bashful baby.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We are supposed to get some rain late this afternoon into tomorrow, about an inch or so. I swear I'll be able to hear the grass moaning in relief. It is official; we are in a drought. And we are to start cooling down again; by Saturday, our highs will only be in the 50s. Ouch! Not looking forward to that. That cold front is blowing in here like a hurricane. We lost a smallish branch from the silver maple yesterday. And the air is swimming in leaves.

The girls all have their appetites back....for canned food anyway. Not so much dry kibble yet. But they're eating something, even Amber. Noses are starting to look a bit better.

I added two more quarts of marinara to the freezer yesterday.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee. I need to order coffee as we have just enough for another week.
  • Must get the grape tomatoes in the dehydrator this afternoon. And Rick brought down peppers, so I can get them in the freezer.
  • Three loads of laundry
  • Sweep the shed, the deck, and patio. I mentioned how windy it was. Well, every time we open the shed door yesterday, we blew in more leaves.
We were out working on that puzzle yesterday. I came in to make dinner and later, when Rick came in, he said, "You know, it's going to be really cozy out there this winter working on puzzles. It's nice. We can work on a puzzle and watch it snow." Even though he's not out there as much as I am, I'm glad that he likes the shed.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester The streusel on the muffins is nice. Messy to add it if muffins are in pan, ready to go into oven. I ended up holding one liner filled with batter (question - do you call it batter? or dough?) over a plate, add streusel, place in muffin pan and on to the next one. Is there another way?

Mia6 Mia6 The dizziness was / is only momentary when first arising. Did it once. Next morning was better but not completely gone. Following morning dizziness was somewhat back. Did the brief exercises again last night and this morning was good. So I'll try them a couple of days in a row and see if that takes care of it. Followup doctor visit this Saturday and can discuss it with her then.

Sunworks cannot quickly obtain the polycarbonate for greenhouse roof. At this point John has no idea when he can get the material and come back to replace the roof. I have to decide what to do with all the plants that are in the garage, under the greenhouse benches, etc. Any suggestions? Stay tuned for future developments.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester so happy the girls are feeling better.
That is a monumental relief!

The past few days have been so humid, with highs in the upper 70's. I had to put the AC on yesterday afternoon; as I could not stand it anymore.

Yesterday was:
*regular morning chores.
*Played with Geoffrey twice in the morning.
*took all the stuff out of the cabinet under the bathroom sink. Cleaned it out, new liner, and replaced.
*Washed a bigg window in living room.
* took that screen down; along with one from the wall of windows, and washed them down.
*Then I attacked the blinds in the window which was cleaned. I wiped down the blinds, the header, etc....

Wanted to attack the wall of windows, but by that time (2 hours of non-stop work); my bad shoulder was screaming at me.. along with my knee from going up and down step stools...no kneeling, but just going up and down them.

Man, I used to be able to go all day~~~ several hours without stopping, multi-tasking. Now, I cannot do it.

I ended up putting the AC on: stretched out on the recliner, a pillow under my knee, a pillow under my forearm, an ice pack on knee and shoulder, with a blanket covering me.... and a combo of Tylenol and advil. UGH... and later on, had to out both wrist splints on... ugh.. arthritis, and stuff is not good.

My friends and I were all discussing that we cannot do what we used to do. We are at an age where we have to pace ourselves and are not happy with this situation, at all.
~~~~~~
Today:
* regular morning stuff
* out AC on---too humid and will be warm, with rain late this afternoon, night and tomorrow morning.
*Pay a bill
*write out a check, pick up a package which was delivered yesterday.
* absolutely nothing the rest of the day...

Think I will end up finishing the last season of "This is Us"... love that show.. and then on to
"Call the Midwife".... I had taped a ton of shows last year.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We finally did get some beautiful rain; it misted and spritzed pretty much all morning and afternoon yesterday, before turning into rain last night. Showers overnight. More supposedly coming on Friday.
We were going to visit Hyner View State Park tomorrow. Pack a picnic lunch, leave in the morning, do some walking, take in the leaves, all that good stuff. But then I remembered Dear Richard has a dentist appt tomorrow. Bummer. Maybe some day next week. It's really pretty there. Hyner View State Park It would be a nice place to visit without a lot of people around.
  • Mollipop and I slept in until not quite 8:00 this morning. Rick got up with the girls at 6:30. When Molli and I got up, I gave them all their after-breakfast breakfast and I'm sitting back here with my coffee. I'll scoop the boxes once the trash-weenies have come and I can bring the can back up to the house.
  • Making the dough for garlic-parm yeast rolls today. I'll throw the dough in the fridge overnight and make the rolls tomorrow. I also have a few grape tomatoes that really do need to go into the dehydrator (to add to my stash of tomato powder) today. I need to feed my sourdough starter today. And after that travesty of a debate last night, I need some calmness today. Puttering around in the kitchen will help.
And that will probably be pretty much it for my Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.