Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Got up at 10:00pm last night, couldn't sleep, drama from neighbor she called June thinking I had called her about having a man over at 2:30am.the other night. Since the Battered Women shelter is paying her rent and utilities, they have the right to have her not have any contact with men while they are paying her bills. So she told on herself, hee, hee. June told her she must be quiet and not disturb me, as she told her when she moved in. She told June that she gives me things to ea, blah, blah. June told her Mia is family and if you don't like the rules then move, also told her to get a job. The woman whose been threatening her was here yesterday causing all kinds of commotion.So very stressful. Make a list for Kaylee, wash some throws, need to sleep as I backslided on that.
  • Love my chair, sat out a lot on Saturday and read.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i'll wash the dishes, and scoop the litter boxes. make liters of soda. thin-slice some cabbage, and grate some carrot -- for use in tossed salads.

i got the load of firewood stacked, 10 face cords. it took me 2 1/2 days, during very hot weather. i got some serious enough sunburn, which is calming down now.

Winchester Winchester -- i recently came across 50 lb bags of King Arthur Sir Lancelot Hi-Gluten Flour at a really good price...$21.25 per bag. i bought two bags, since there's been some shortages on bread and all purpose flours. i also bought two 50 lb bags of carob powder there (the same brand i usually buy online), for $24 each -- current price online is $91.93 per. i invested now, the savings will happen over time.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom How do you store 100 pounds of flour and 100 pounds of carob powder? I know Winchester Winchester repacks into sturdy plastic bags and keeps in the freezer - ideal but I don't have room in freezer. Or refrigerator for that matter, what with jars of powdered milk, dry buttermilk, etc plus groceries. I bought a 25 pound bag of KA AP flour and have what will not soon be used, still in its sturdy paper bag in a Tidy Cat kitty litter tub in the basement where it is cool. Of course another option would be to step up my baking.

Yesterday I cut down spicebush, using loppers and hand saw. Limbed up and dragged off to a brush heap - four trips. Then we used my battery powered little chain saw to cut down two oversized sapling trees that were impacting a magnolia. Today I need to limb them up and dispose of the branches. The main stems are large enough to be small firewood.

Since it is Monday there are bedsheets to wash. It's another gorgeous day so I'll hang them outside.

Finish setting another pallet to serve as a potted plant display stand. Mostly done repotting. Which means I'm getting closer and closer to moving everything plant-related out of my garage bay, sweeping it out and moving my car back in. And THAT"S what I should be doing instead of being here on TCS. Bye for now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom What bargains you found! I know you have a huge freezer! That's simply awesome. Is the hi-gluten the same as their bread flour? Probably is. I should get a large bag of bread flour because I use it more than I thought and have been out now for a while. Although we have been seeing more flour in the grocery store now, especially since the counties are opening up. Maybe people got tired of baking.

artiemom artiemom We haven't subscribed to CBS All Access yet. Rick is watching movies on Prime and I'm still working my way through Elementary on Hulu. I'd like to finish that before switching to something else. We'll watch Picard and then I'll try Discovery, too. We're only going to do the 7-day trial for now as we're still paying for Hulu, Disney, etc. I got rid of Starz as soon as Outlander was done; I'll re-subscribe when it comes back. What we should do is drop the cable and just stream. Rick doesn't want to do that....at least for now. That may change.
  • Sitting back here with my coffee. Will scoop in a few minutes. Rick got up with the girls and then left for a walk. He just now got back.
  • More outside work. Will get the last of the corn planted today (hopefully). Will get the patio finished today (hopefully). We have border installed under the weigela at the pool fence. It's all askew, so I need to get in the there, clear it out, and then reset the border.
  • Still shocking the pool to get things to drop to the bottom. Then I can vacuum.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
After today, the humidity will start creeping back in. T-storms and rain coming tomorrow (Wednesday).

I spent yesterday up in the garden. We haven't had a garden for 2-3 years, so the grass and weeds took it over. And we didn't get a rototiller in there back in the spring because we didn't want to go in town. So we're re-claiming our garden. By hand. Using a cultivator and me using a hand-held cultivator. It's a big job, but we're almost done. I have a small stool that I sit on while I work. Meanwhile the corn rows are full; corn is shooting up! Peppers and tomatoes have little flowers, as do the pepper plants that I put in planters on the back deck. And so does a strawberry; they're also making runners. We're not expecting anything from the strawberries. I also cleaned out the asparagus bed and found asparagus shoots. We're going to let them frond out now to produce for next year. We were talking about getting the fence up; with the corn shooting up, it won't be long til the critters find them. I kicked a baby bunny out of the garden yesterday. Called Rick and we got him trapped and I took him down to the coolness of the flower bed in the back yard; he would have died from heat, I'm sure.

Shed patio is almost finished; the tiles are laid. Rick wants to finish the grading and move the dirt up to the garden. He got lattice for me to stain; the lattice is for under the deck to prevent critters (groundhogs) from getting under there. He had told me yesterday that that was my job for today. I thought that was my job for yesterday, but it didn't happen.

I was up in the garden yesterday and one of the neighbors came over to talk to me. He's looking at sheds and wanted to know what we thought of the we-shed (quality, construction, price, etc). He may build his equipment shed, but, for the price, he's going to check the company out. His wife would like to have a small craft shed. She does a lot of crafting and her supplies are taking over the house.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher and am sitting back here with my coffee. Rick will scoop in a few.
  • I have one load of laundry in the washer.
  • Hopefully get some staining done (and pray the birds don't poop on the boards!)
  • Started season 5 of Elementary last night.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Try to get an answer on how to take a photo that is 4 Mb in size from my iPhone 11 Pro so I can make money. (Infuriating)
2. Try and hogtie and drag Sopdet back so Treasure will shut up yowling and I can get rest, sleep and do stuff
3. Make little WyzeCam Shelters. Haha

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes, got a new plus-sized box in pink for my Cal. She wouldn't go near it at first but this morning there were 2 pees and a poop, her poops look like a medium sized dog's, ha!! I'll get another one for upstairs. Kaylee won't be in today as she is maid of honor for her late best friend'a sister who is having a tiny ceremony. She found a pretty dress and pumps at Goodwill for a total of $5.00!! Supposed to hit 90 today with very high dew points so I'm not going to spend much time outside. K called from Lowe's yesterday asking if I wanted some Succulents, on sale. One had been $20.00 on sale for 3, the others 10 on sale for a.buck. The large one is in a heart-shaped planter. She was there to get me a watering can but they were out. She found a really nice one, brand new at Goodwill when she was shopping for her dress and shoes after work. She stopped by for a few. It's so hot now, going to turn ac down so it won't have to struggle so much as the temp rises. Will dry some smalls outside and get caught up on sleep if possible.
Landlord doesn't know about the latest drama with my neighbor but it's getting to the point where I think I must tell her She asked me to let her know if there was trouble. Police have been here about every day for the last week,,,so embarrassing.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Busy morning. Much accomplished. Nothing I really wanted to do.
1) Washed a load of laundry and put in dryer. Now need to fold.
2) Ran dishwasher. Now need to unload.
3) Mowed front and both side lawns. Emptied grass catcher. Now need to get full, large tub of clippings down to compost heap.
4) Moved 4 small diameter but still firewood size tree trunks out of the woods, from what was cut down yesterday. Now need to haul trimmed off branches down to brush heap.

Need to make tuna and macaroni salad for dinner.
Will see about doing some gardening that I want to do but think it may be too warm this afternoon.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Kaylee sounds like an absolute gem! She does the work you need / want her to do. She thinks of you - asking do you want her to get these succulents she found at a good price when it would be so easy to just say nothing. And from what you say she's a nice conversationalist. You must be very happy.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Kaylee sounds like an absolute gem! She does the work you need / want her to do. She thinks of you - asking do you want her to get these succulents she found at a good price when it would be so easy to just say nothing. And from what you say she's a nice conversationalist. You must be very happy.
Yes, I am very happy wih her. She is becoming a daughter to me. 💖

I love tuna macaroni salad! What do you put in yours?

Keep cool
Work on Cal's haircut
Get caught up on sleep

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I think we should go to C catapault for dinner. I really like macaroni and tuna salad, too.

We're both up this morning. I'm finally going to start staining the deck. Rick got the power washer out yesterday to clean the winter pool cover, so while he was at it, he also cleaned the back of the house (the back faces the north and doesn't get a lot of sun and so it gets funky after a year or so). And then he gave Rupert a bath before going over to clean the shed deck. I need a four-hour clearance between finishing the stain and any rain that falls, so we're up early. Not supposed to rain until tonight, but you never know.

Something (bug) bit me yesterday while I was up in the garden. It left a huge swelling on my arm and it itches like crazy. I've been putting anti-itch stuff on it. I also think I got into some poison....that's on my right leg. Got the calamine out, too. I never used to have an effect from poison; I could pull it out with my bare hands and be fine. Evidently, that's changed.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee
  • Start staining the deck
  • Work outside

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I thought I said what's in my tuna and macaroni salad. Maybe it was a different thread. No biggie. It has macarroni and tuna fish, of course. This time the pasta is indeed elbow macaroni but sometimes I prefer to use small shells.

Plus cut carrot cooked in with the pasta for the last few minutes until cooked with still a little crunch. Green peas. Sliced celery - I use a vegetable peeler to de-string them. Sliced black olives, from a can. Capers. Bind everything with mayonnaise - not too much. You want things to hold together but not sloppy. And some dried oregano, folded in for flavor.

We like it.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Mia6 Mia6 I think we should go to C catapault C catapault for dinner. I really like macaroni and tuna salad, too.
I think so too, Pam! Do you think you were bitten by a spider? That and poison ivy, oh no. Maybe squeeze the swollen
area and remove any venom that may be there. I use both Calamine and Witch Hazel for bug bites. Hope you're not
itchy today.

C catapault I'm sorry, I remember you posted the recipe in What's for Dinner but I get excited when I read the words macaroni tuna salad.
My mother used to make it for me as one of many comfort foods. Also orange-aid. Kaylee bought the club soda but I forgot the
oranges, ha!!

Laundry
Get caught up on sleep
Read

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It could have been a spider; I saw it, but wasn't really paying attention and just flicked it off. Whatever it was got me three times before I got it off of me. Rick says it's not poison on my leg; he thinks I got hammered there with bug bites, too. A series of little bites from my sock area to about halfway up my calf. Lots of peroxide and lots of anti-itch stuff. I'm like a deli to bugs, I swear.
That's pretty much how I do macaroni salad with tuna, too. I like using the shells moreso than elbows. Onion, celery, diced red pepper, a bit of minced carrot, the pasta and the tuna. Frozen green peas. Hard-boiled eggs. (I started putting more veggies in the salad because it was a good way to get our son to eat some veggies.) The dressing is mayo, a bit of mustard and red wine vinegar, some pepper, and drained zucchini relish (my version of hot dog relish). And now I'm REALLY hungry for macaroni-tuna salad. I may make just macaroni salad on Saturday.
  • Rick got up with the girls and I slept in until 7:00. Sitting back here with my coffee.
  • The deck is stained with the darker grey; we're taking the spindles off today and I'll stain them with the lighter grey. Rick is putting another coat of stain on the deck floor because that will take the brunt of weather and all the foot traffic. It looks nice, I think, although that dark grey color looks more blue sometimes than it does grey! It'll be OK.
  • Need to get some things done in the house this afternoon.
  • Vacuum the pool tonight

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
got birthday presents wrapped
moved some items in the basement off the floor to shelving that was emptied after we gave away candle making supplies
fed cat, fed fishies

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Call a vet to schedule a neuter
2. Find Cooper on street I know he is
3. Find material to give this person on the importance of spaying and neutering

I just found out that Cooper fathered this person's female cat. He (the human) refuses to fix her. And I was going to fix Cooper when this pandemic broke out and he went missing. I hope this horrible human does not just dump this kittens in someone's yard when they reach 5 months old like a lot of the idiots in my neighborhood do but that's what I'm afraid will happen, adding to the stray feral cat population.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Headache this morning. Not a migraine, just a headache. It started last night and I still have it. Amber started yelling at 4:30, Molli went after Muffin around 5:00 or so. I put Molli out in the living room and shut the bedroom door. Opened door when Tabby wanted in, opened door when Tabby wanted out. Opened door when Muffin wanted in. Finally fell back asleep and slept til 7:30 when Muffin pawed me said, "Mom! Breakfast! C'mon now!" And I got up, threw some clothes on, and stumbled out to the kitchen.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. Will scoop in a few.
  • Finish staining the deck. I'm working on spindles now. Rick takes them off, I stain them, and he re-attaches them. I also have to stain the lattice and the boards for the frame around the lattice; shouldn't take long.
  • Start moving that dirt fill from the patio up to the garden. Bring the Adirondack chair up from the basement and take a gander at it. Rick thinks it looks fine as I had just painted it two years ago and we didn't even bring it out of the basement last year.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Already started warming milk in InstantPot to make yogurt today.

A friend with fabulous vegetable garden emailed and said to come today for strawberries and lettuce, but bring my own containers

It is sunny so I need to get out in the garden and apply weed killer to certain things. If only plants we want would grow as well as those we don't

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
cataholic07 cataholic07
That's pretty much how I do macaroni salad with tuna, too. I like using the shells moreso than elbows. Onion, celery, diced red pepper, a bit of minced carrot, the pasta and the tuna. Frozen green peas. Hard-boiled eggs. (I started putting more veggies in the salad because it was a good way to get our son to eat some veggies.) The dressing is mayo, a bit of mustard and red wine vinegar, some pepper, and drained zucchini relish (my version of hot dog relish). And now I'm REALLY hungry for macaroni-tuna salad. I may make just macaroni salad on Saturday.
Yum!!! Hope headache has quelled and bites as well.

Regular morning stuff. Will trim Small Cal, again, ha!! She looks like a non-plus sized girl with her new 'do, darling baby girl.
She loves having short hair. Attempt to catch up on sleep, don't know if that will happen with my neighbor making noise and watching 5 kids who live up the street I have asked and asked this week to please keep the noise down but she just doesn't get it. No social distancing with the kids, no masks etc. She tries to suck up by bringing food over but I dump it. Had a storm a few hours ago and with it came cool, refreshing air. Poor Cal hid for two hours, just came downstairs now. Will wash some throws but that will be about it.
Nice day to read on the deck. Will tell her to please keep the noise down,

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom How do you store 100 pounds of flour and 100 pounds of carob powder? I know Winchester Winchester repacks into sturdy plastic bags and keeps in the freezer - ideal but I don't have room in freezer. Or refrigerator for that matter, what with jars of powdered milk, dry buttermilk, etc plus groceries. I bought a 25 pound bag of KA AP flour and have what will not soon be used, still in its sturdy paper bag in a Tidy Cat kitty litter tub in the basement where it is cool. Of course another option would be to step up my baking.
<snip>
what i do with any type of flour (that i buy in bulk) is to break it down into gallon zipper bags, then place the bags in the freezer for 24 hours. this kills any possible bugs/eggs/larvae. then i move it to store long term in plastic storage bins/totes. i cut the label off the bulk bag, and set that on top of the bags in the storage bin. the carob powder is usually put into gallon zipper bags too (though no need to cycle through the freezer), but i did leave one 50 lb bag of it in the bag it came in -- which is 'poly-lined', in a thick plastic bag inside the thick paper bag. and it's also in a plastic storage bin.

Oh wow, micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom What bargains you found! I know you have a huge freezer! That's simply awesome. Is the hi-gluten the same as their bread flour? Probably is. I should get a large bag of bread flour because I use it more than I thought and have been out now for a while. Although we have been seeing more flour in the grocery store now, especially since the counties are opening up. Maybe people got tired of baking.

<snip>
i really just happened upon those bargains, and knew that i should invest in them. i do have quite a bit of freezer space, though at this time of year free space is quite limited. i've got all my cooking and baking for the hot summer months put up in the freezers.

the KA Sir Lancelot Hi-Gluten Flour is one of their bread flours.

today i'll wash the dishes, and scoop the litter boxes. i'll lay a fire in the wood stove ahead of time, to get going this evening. it's forecast to get into the 40's again tonight, so i'll need to 'take the chill off the house' -- so i don't wake up in the middle of the night shivering under the blankets.

Status
Not open for further replies.