Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Our windows do not work with window units for AC. In most, rooms now, we don't have double-hung windows. We still do in the bedroom, but one window is right at the foot of our bed and the other window has the cats' pillow, so no. We do put a fan in the window around the foot of the bed when it gets really steamy and that seems to work OK. We still do in the computer room, too, but I'm just too leery of window units now. Several years ago, in our area, kids were getting into homes by pushing window units in. They were doing a lot of damage; what they didn't steal, they ruined. It really made me wary, largely because of the cats. We're OK. Thank you.

Boy, that woman is putting you through the wringer. I'm really sorry she moved in. Your best bet might be to just stay away from her, not to go near her, don't talk to her. Just stay away.

C catapault , I planted a bunch of cannas and elephant ears by the fence by the pool the other day. I see one coming up so far.

Rick got up with the girls this morning. I lounged with Molli until 9:00, then we both got out of bed. He's up working in the veggie garden now, while I finish with laundry and such.
  • Did three loads of laundry, scooped the boxes, and did a quick vacuum.
  • Worked on finding a desktop for my co-worker who wants a new computer. He doesn't have internet, so he'll have to deal with finding a provider.
  • Made a mayo/apple cider vinegar/seasoning marinade for chicken quarters and got that in the fridge for dinner tonight.
  • Hit the shed for some tv tonight.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Installed the greenhouse shade cloth, all 9 sections. Took all morning.

Found out why wrens kept coming in. There was a nest, tucked in a plastic box holding pots, up on a high shelf. Six eggs, probably not viable considering how the birds were in and out.

Cut back a huge multiflora rose and dragged it all to the upper discard pile at the rear of the property. Treated stumps with brush killer.

Himself cut the back and side lawns. I took clippings down to compost heap.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet's secretary to give an update on the cats.

Quick trip to the independent market for some groceries. Hopefully there isn't a line or not a too long one to get into the market. I need to pop into the supervisors' Zoom meeting to discuss the unacceptable issues from the weekend :cringe:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Septic tank pumped this morning. We have it done every year there is a presidential election.
Kinda like politics....getting rid of the old poop and preparing for the new! :)

I'm up with the girls this morning and Rick is sleeping in for a bit.
I had a very difficult time with the outdoor grill last night when I was trying to grill the chicken. It was so windy that every time I opened the grill to baste the meat, the grill temp would drop down to around 250. Til I got the temp back up to where I wanted it, it would be time to open the grill again to baste. Chicken that should take about 45 minutes took me well over an hour to finish. Really getting tired of the wind here. It's causing grilling problems and it's really drying out our garden as well as our newly planted flowers.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • We're going to hit Lowes today to look for the patio stone that I want for the shed; I'm thinking that I may have to order it online and have it delivered. And then off to the nursery for garden shopping. We still need the strawberries (and am hoping it's not too late to get any) and we need squash plants: zucchini, yellow squash, and a few butternuts. We have another couple of rows of corn to put in, too. Our green beans are growing like crazy and the peppers are developing flowers. :hyper:
  • Work outside a bit. It's going to be a nice day, sunny and cool. And quite breezy.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday=laundry day. Whites washing now. Darks up next. Then bed sheets, which I want to hang outdoors.

Have a morning appointment with opthamologist. I think vision in left eye is not as acute as when I had the cataract surgery a few years ago. Want to have him check it out. Himself will drive since my eyes will be dilated and today is another beautifully sunny, low humidity day.

We finally did find someone - an unemployed young man recommended by a friend - who will come this afternoon to start swapping screens for storm glass on two pairs of doors, put screen doors up on two more pairs of doors, and go up on roof to put shade cloth over skylights. Himself said he'll go up on the roof to help with the shade cloth. A) I don't want him up there and B) if I go up I can wash many windows. But I no longer like either one of us up on the roof.

And I'd like to get the front and back water taps turned on. As Pam mentioned, this lovely weather is drying out potted plants as quickly as I turn around.

Pam, if the wind is an issue with the grill - could you install a decorative slatted fence that would reduce the force of the wind. Slatted works better than solid to reduce wind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Wowza, Pam, that marmalade sounds amazing!! Sorry about that pesky wind.

• Regular am stuff, boxes, ouch!, tea. Raining a bit now, supposed to be in the mid 80s again today. Yesterday was a perfect day. Low 70s, all day sun, low humidity, amazing.Wonder what the weather is like on Nantucket and Martha's Vineyards' Islands?Would love a little cottage on one of them.....need to make a grocery list for Kaylee...wash a few throws, clean Cal's private areas, wash some smalls as well.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , that chicken marinade? It's actually good stuff! I found the recipe online and I think it's a keeper. Mayo, apple cider vinegar, a bit of vegetable oil, and some different seasoning throw in. I am out of apple cider vinegar and couldn't find any at the store (some of the things our store is out of boggles my mind sometimes), so I played around with white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and white and red wine vinegars to get the two cups I needed. It worked. That chicken is good.

I could barely move last night. I planted 11 hosta plants and 6 Palace Purple coral bells at the northern end of the shed yesterday. Dug up huge hosta plants from in the other gardens, carried them over to the shed, divided them up, and then replanted them. I still have more to dig up. It doesn't sound like much, but it took me pretty much all afternoon, moving plants around. More to do today, although it looks like rain. I stood up from watching TV last night and every muscle yelled at me. A good shower and the electric blanket helped and, although I hurt a bit this morning, it's not bad. Exercise is good! (I think)

Oh, and we got pavers, gravel, and sand for the little patio outside the shed. Rick will straighten the area out and make it level, then I'll get in there and figure out which pavers go where. Those pavers are heavy! I don't know that we'll get that done (or even started) today. Maybe this weekend.
  • Rick did the morning thing with the girls. Molli and I slept in until 9:00. I didn't sleep well at all last night, so I lounged. I'm up and drinking my coffee. I'll scoop in a few.
  • A quick vacuum about the house
  • If it doesn't rain, we'll be outside working in the veggie garden this afternoon.
  • Trash night tonight.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Wowza, Pam you did a lot! Chicken sounds so good. Maybe it was using so many flavors of vinegar that made it so good and the fact you are an amazing chef! I bet your recipe is better than the original

• 75 degrees when I got up, gross and very humid. Cal would only stay out for a short minute. Didn't do her walkabout She's now on the kitchen rug wanting to drink tuna juice but she only likes it cold do I have some chilling for my princess. Kaylee will do a bit of shopping, go to bank, etc. I'll try to catch up on sleep which may be easy as we're supposed to have storms so sprogs won't be out.
    Boy, that woman is putting you through the wringer. I'm really sorry she moved in. Your best bet might be to just stay away from her, not to go near her, don't talk to her. Just stay away.
  • I'm trying but she keeps bugging me. She has an appt with her shrink next week and she said hopefully he will put her back on ADD med and sleeping med. She seems to not sleep. She got into it with another neighbor over his kids putting silly string in our yard. She made him have the kids clean it up, then told him the kids were way too loud, which is true but she was yelling.saying "my neighbor is sick" meaning me! I am not sick, I just have a condition.I'm going to haw a talk with June, the landlord. I don't need the stress. She's been nothing but trouble since she moved in. Want it peaceful.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tired this morning. I didn't sleep well at all again last night. A t-storm rolled through around 2:00, but I was already awake. Got up to shut the windows and went back to bed. I don't remember seeing 3:00, so I must have finally dropped off. But then the girls had me awake, starting around 4:30. I'm pooped and could easily go back to bed.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. Will scoop in a bit.
  • Dear Richard informed me that it's time for some cookies, so I'm baking Vanilla Dreams and Chocolate Chip cookies this morning. Both recipes are from King Arthur.
  • And speaking of Dear Richard, he (nicely) kicked me out of the garden yesterday. He said he needed some "me" time and the garden is good for peace. I know what that's like and the veggie garden has always been his thing more so than mine. He planted everything but the butternuts yesterday and I'll do them today.
C catapault The grill is inside the pool fence right off the deck, so no fence. Most of the time, I can deal with it; we always have some wind or breeze or something here on the hill. When it's too bad, I use the indoor grill. This time, it was just ridiculous and since I was grilling chicken, I was more worried about temperatures.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Usual morning stuff. Kaylee will do some shopping as I only had her go to bank yesterday..too much to do here and now she works 4 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She didn't get much sleep Tuesday night and it was difficult to get her going. Quilt needs washed again.more ice cream spillage, groan. Had a huge salad that lasted me 2 days, great in the heat and humidity

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I think we're going to take it easy today. Rick has a horrid sinus headache. He took Advil Cold and Sinus and now he's feeling spaced out a bit. I'll go out and work in the yard a bit....there's always yard work to be done. It's already sticky this morning.
  • Rick did the breakfast thing with the girls. I'm drinking my coffee. I'll scoop in a bit.
  • A quick vacuum about the house.
  • I want to take some pictures of what we've gotten done so far in the veggie garden and around the yard.
  • I'm going to shoot some birds!! Well, not really, but they need to stop pooping on the cars! I'm going to have to wash both cars again, just to get rid of all the bird poop. The vehicles look like they're dive-pooping!
I emailed Chris (Sheds Unlimited) and asked if we could set something up around the end of the June for the video shoot. Hopefully that will give us time to work on landscaping, the little patio, staining, etc. He said that was fine and they'll call me.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We (or I should say "he") started on the little patio yesterday afternoon. The deal was that he would prepare the ground, do the stones, etc. and then I would take over. Well, he decided that he could get it done quicker than I could, so he's doing it. He got side-tracked by t-storms; it's probably a muddy mess over there this morning. We got the t-storms, but we also got soaking rains in between storms, so hopefully that will help the corn germinate. More storms due this afternoon. While he was working on the patio, I vacuumed the shed, did a quick swiffer, and tended to the shed plants. I really need to wash the shed windows again. The umbrella tree is sprouting two more leaves and the prayer plant is also sprouting two more leaves. They must like "living" together in the same planter. All the violets are now blooming idiots again. The violet leaves that I'm trying to root aren't doing much that I can see, BUT a gentle tug gives resistance, so I'm hoping roots are forming. The leaves look good, if nothing else. I put the Christmas cactus out on the deck yesterday for an hour or so; once it acclimates a bit, I'll keep it outside (barring t-storms, winds, etc.)
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am enjoying my morning coffee
  • Separated laundry and threw the first of three loads into the washer
  • Work outside

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Regular morning stuff. Will make a list for Kaylee, have a hot bath, and hopefully read for a bit on the deck. I've been playing catch-up on sleep and I finally feel like I have half a brain Yesterday I dumped out a new bottle of milk thinking it was old, also instilled eye drops for allergies twice when it's only supposed to be once. New otc med, Patadine, works great but 2 drops caused intense burning and a headache came on. Must get more sleep and I'll be ok. Wash throws and smalls

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think today will be a kind of lazy day... somewhat

Regular morning things... late start on them.
Have to clean and dump Litter Genie debris
vacuum again, after cleaning the Genie
Get trash together--trash day
Write out a couple of cards, pay a bill
See if I can give Geoffrey a good brushing---wish me luck. He is shedding so much.
Cuddle with Geoffrey... also play with him, when he demands it.
Binge watch some programs on TV.

It is a very humid day, with occasional showers. Right now it is 68 degrees with humidity at 92%... yuck!
A bit foggy also. I am going to stay inside most of the day. I think I may go out briefly, to run my car. I really do not care for todays weather... I get hot and cold... I have the AC on. but, I really have a difficult time when it is on. Wish we had central air, but never will, due to construction of the building.

Yesterday, I did a 2 mile walk, on the beach, before the temp really got hot. Today is a resting day.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Regular morning stuff, tea and boxes.

Will attempt to repair Cal's haircut as it is scandalous but she had so many knots
and I am not able to brush her well enough. I cut her back half, but not her tail,
the front is still long so I'll cut that today. She's all fuzzy where I cut and I love to
kiss that area. She purrs when I do.

Going to relax and read on the deck if it's not too humid.

Wash a few throws, dry them outside.

Had another phone call, this time from the 60s. They wanted their page boy back. Hair is growing so fast...going
to keep it long but have a trim and Kaylee will color it some afternoon and I'll pay her.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Laughing at the page boy phone call. :lol: I've decided to just let mine go. It's really getting white and well, so be it. The county where I get my hair done went Green and they're allowed to do hair (with precautions), but I'm not ready to step into a salon yet. And I'm not coloring it myself. I'm letting it go. The only one who really sees it is Rick and he's all for it anyway. I do feel weird at the grocery store when we go, but that feeling doesn't really last very long. And, after almost 50 years of coloring my hair and worrying about "the greys" it feels rather freeing, in a way, to say, "Nope! Not going there!" I also haven't touched a blow dryer in months. I wash my hair and then let it air-dry, scrunching it, so the waves come out. It's OK. I may change my mind later on and scoot back into the salon, but for now, it's OK.
  • I had such a good sleeping night last night. Finally fell asleep around midnight or so and stayed asleep until Amber started in at 5:00. Rick got up at 6:00, told me to stay in bed, and I fell back asleep and slept until 9:00. I awakened with Mollipop snuggled up against me, sound asleep. And I feel really good today. Drinking my coffee right now and I'll scoop in a few.
  • Rick will be working on the little patio this afternoon and I'm going up to the garden to do some cultivating around tomato plants and work on weeding and such. We saw little corn plants shooting up last night! Yay! The rain really helped the corn decide what it wanted to do.
  • Hit the shed for some Elementary tonight. I'm almost finished with season 4.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam I wanted to go to Farmer's Market, only 3 blocks from here but I wouldn't go
because of my hair. It will be here till the end of September, every Saturday, so I'll try and have it
done by next week.There is produce of course, flowers, music, food, booths with people selling
candles, etc, it's fun.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I love farmers' markets. I don't know if ours is open yet; I know our county is going Green this coming Friday. We won't hit the market yet anyway. There's absolutely no way you can social distance there; the place is even packed on a bad day.
We finally got the pool opened; the water is a lovely shade of green. Those hot days really did a number on the algae. We'll get it under control. I also got the yard mowed yesterday and cultivated around the tomatoes and peppers planted in the garden and weeded the raised beds.
  • I'm up with the girls this morning. Breakfast, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee. I'll scoop the boxes in a bit.
  • I have a load of towels in the washer.
  • More work outside. The patio is coming along, but we need more sand to finish laying the tiles. A trip to Lowes at some point this morning for sand and for some lattice to close the deck in. I will stain the lattice this afternoon. I think Rick is going to power-wash the shed deck, so it has time to dry for me to stain in a few days. While he's washing the deck, he's also going to power-wash that Adirondack chair and our cement lions on the front stoop. I'll give everything a good brushing, followed by another wash, and then do some painting (hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is another lazy day:

Not in any order:
Regular mourning stuff: play with Geoffrey, breakfast for both of us, dishes, put bed together, quick vacuum, shower,
Watch Sunday Mass on Zoom
Read newspaper
Put clean laundry away
Try to get around to washing and changing out the filters in the Brita pitcher and the Keurig Machine.
and I think that will be it.
Probably a couple of phone calls

Supper: A thick pork chop on the tiny indoor Foreman grill. May try some Garlic seasoned olive oil with it, S and P... just plain.. I think perhaps some roasted carrots, and some roasted potatoes along with it. I may just cook the pork chop plain, with some kind of Penzy's seasoning, and put the garlic flavored EVOO on the veggies... and an orange for dessert...
Another cup of tea, and perhaps green tea, during the day.

The weather is cooler, still hu dish, damp. No walk today. I tried yesterday, but it was too humid for me. I found it harder to breathe--asthma-ish; I did try but unsuccessful.

I did subscribe to CBS All Access, last night. I had been itching for some new Star Trek episodes~~withdrawal.. I got the commercial plane: 5.99 a month. I discontinued Starz-- at least until Outlander returns.

Winchester Winchester I know you are a Star Trek fan. Did you catch "Picard" ? I stayed up late, watching the first 2 episodes! I loved it. I am hooked. Did you or anyone else happen to watch Star Trek "Discovery" ? I am planning on watching that next.

There is a lot of the Star Trek Universe that I cannot remember, eventhough I watched all episodes of all series, years ago. So this is a good opportunity to read up on what I forgot or missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.