Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
An extra added to my three things today. Homeownership is not always fun. Went down to do the laundry and heard the water softener beeping that it was low on salt but I knew it shouldn’t be. What I found was that about half the softener space had solidified into this solid chunk, blocking the salt from going down. Started with a hammer, moved on to my biggest crowbar and finally reached the point where there was so much loose stuff on top of the hardened stuff I couldn’t reach it.

At this point I would just normally call my son or a repairman but figured I needed to at least try to get this done myself. I knew had to take out salt, and a lot of it, to get to the chunk that still needed breaking up. So out to the garage for a paper yard waste bag and the wet vac and started sucking up the salt. Had to empty the vac twice before I could see the remaining mass and then spent another half hour breaking it apart, transferring the salt from the bag back into the softener and cleaning the vac.

I am exhausted and hoping that nothing else in my house decides to clog, break or drip in the next few weeks. My leaky wash tub drain fix of last week did work, by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 You amaze me with your capabilities to repair things on your own!
Winchester Winchester I'd try again with Mollipop. Let her sniff around. Maybe bring out a few
pieces of your clothing that have't been washed and place them where she can sniff them
and she;ll know you've been there by the scent. Act naturally, put the tv on and munch on
peanut M&Ms, chips, and Pepsi.;):hugs:
C catapault I hope you have a good time today.
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm sure the toys will be appreciated

Boxes, tea, gathering the clothes that need washed. Rain again today, groan. What's that saying about May flowers? Cal is beside me snoring and making her sweet sounds. She went out for her look-about and took a short walk. When she came in her sweet head was wet so, it's begun.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying with her. We were out again yesterday and it lasted all of five minutes. All she did was wander around, sniff, and cry. I felt so bad for her. We'll keep working on it. I really miss her when I'm out here.
I'm in the shed this morning. My turn to get up with the girls, so I came out to make my coffee and hang out here for a while.
It is to rain most of the morning and afternoon today.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting with my coffee. Rick will scoop when he gets up.
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer about the house. Wipe down kitchen and bathroom.
  • Work out side if the weather permits. If not, I may do some "window" shopping on the internet for a while. And I have some recipes to add to my new cookbook.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Since somehow the cats no longer love me and something broke that bond this is going to be a very difficult day:

1. Still looking for shelters that will take the cat items for when they open up again
2. Since the cats are now gone clean and sweep the area they slept on and played around of food droppings
3. Get to much needed housework

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started pulled pork in the slow cooker before we left home.

Then back from this morning's excursion. So exciting! First time I was out of the house for 9 days, even longer for Himself.

Precis of the outing:

1) the family health center is well set up. Usual entrance to waiting room is for respiratory patients only. All wellness checks go around to a back door. They're also trying to handle what can be managed over the telephone rather than have people come in. Himself went in, I stayed in car.

2) got almost everything I wanted at the IGA and the owner very kindly told me that if I wanted to use their new-this-week Tuesday & Thursday curbside pickup I should feel free to do so. I thought it was supposed to be for people who cannot / should not leave home. I may qualify as high risk due to age but feel I can take sufficient care - mask up, disposable glove, bleachy cloth etc. I went in, Himself stayed in car. As an aside - on a community Facebook page one local sanitation company said that if discarded gloves and masks are not tied in a bag it will be considered hazardous medical water and the entire can will not be picked up.

3) got gas - only down half a tank but as long as I was out . . . Are all of you also getting three weeks to a gallon of gas? and in these days of covid-19 I especially appreciate NJ's do-not-pump-your-own-gas rules.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A blast from the past, Furballsmom Furballsmom In New Jersey you are not allowed to pump your own gas. All gas stations have people who do it for you. They do not check the oil, clean your windshield, etc. But especially in not-nice wet / snowy / cold weather it is such a luxury to stay in the car. And in these hazardous to your health times too.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes, tea, the usual morning stuff. It wasn't until this morning that I realized Easter was this Sunday, thought it was next week, ha!! Will be strange being here alone but everything is strange now, yeah? Woke up to a bit of snow and in the 20s, yikes! Crazy Ohio weather!! Chatted online with my Oz friend this morning She loves cold weather and snow, said to send it down, hee. Going to have another cuppa.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We have horrible wind, both yesterday and today. And we lost yet another Colorado blue spruce tree yesterday afternoon. Saturated ground + 55 mph winds = downed trees. Never fails. All those trees we planted over 30 years ago and most of them are gone. We used to enjoy quite a bit of privacy at our western property line; it's all gone. What really scares me is that that was one of the locations we had thought about putting the she shed. When we first thought about it, we had lovely trees there. There's only one tree left and Rick thinks he may have to take it down as it's really started to lean now without the other trees.
  • Rick's turn to get up with the girls this morning. He gave them breakfast and emptied the dishwasher. I got up later, we chatted about the state of the world and now I'm back here on the computer. Rick will scoop boxes later on.
  • I want to work on cleaning out the hutch.
  • Clean out the cabinet on top of the fridge.
And well, we're not planning on doing much of anything today. The wind is gusting and, although it is sunny, it's cold, only 40F with a wind chill of 33F. Seems like a good day to hang out with a book or two.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester have you tried offering your Mollipop some of her favorite treats, when you bring her out to the she-shed with you? or a blanket or throw that she's been on/has her scent on it, from the main house?

today i've done some printing, and have kept the wood stove going. i'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, and make a loaf of bread machine bread.

after that, i'll watch some tv. maybe play some computer games, too.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, those winds sound horrible and losing a tree? I love the privacy that trees can give. There was a huge Maple that came down during a bad storm in 2008. My landlord used a chainsaw and was able to cut it up in about 7 hours. The stump is still there but I miss that tree. Maybe next rime you bring Mollipop to the shed, bring her litter box, a dish of food and water? Kind of ease her into being comfortable there?
C catapault When I lived in Columbus we took one of our cars to be repaired. They had one gas pump and they still pumped your gas. cleaned your windows, etc. After I discovered it, I almost always got gas there. It was a Marathon station and we had a credit card so it was convenient. If weather was freezing cold I'd go out of my way to go there.

• Boxes, tea. So cold! I'm rugged up like it's January. I'm going to wash my quilt and shams. Caylee talked me into trying Tide with Febreeze, Botanical something or other. It smells so good and I don't itch! I'm wearing my new sneakers, the first pair in five years. I still have a pair of Reebok's from 10 years ago and various ones I bought from Walmart for $5.00 but they're not good for my feet as I have high arches. These are so comfortable and they're pink. I have a new neighbor on the other side of the duplex. The landlord told me she had been living in a battered women's shelter, her husband is in jail, and she had nowhere to go. She looked at it about 3 weeks ago. She received help from the government so she could move in. and they'll be helping her till she gets on her feet again. She is a cook and works two jobs. She doesn't have a car. I was in my bedroom yesterday and someone stopped by with pillows and sheets for her as I could hear the voice of the woman who came by. Wowza, what a time to be moving. I don't think she has many possessions or maybe they're in storage. June said she's about 50. Her name is Nicole, same as my sis. With social distancing I may just write a note and put it on her door.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I take a little container of treats with us when we go out. And I take her pink blankie. She won't eat, she does nothing but walk around and cry. Rick told me to try it with Muffin, but I really want Mollipop to be out there. We'll keep trying, although now when I pick her up to go out there, she starts shaking. She loves to go outside, but she really hates the shed. And thank you.
Mia6 Mia6 I take a litter box out there and it's one that she uses. She has food and water out there, too, but she's not interested in anything, but getting out of there! We've lost so many trees during the last 3-4 years, it's really sad. We liked them for privacy and now we can see our neighbors and everything they're doing. We have planted new trees, but it will take forever for them to grow. I think it would be lovely to put a note on your new neighbor's door, just to say Hi and welcome her. That's such a nice idea.

My turn to get up with the girls. I've been getting this sore throat, along with a low headache, so for the past two nights, Rick has been afraid to sleep with me; he's been on the couch. He says that if I am sick, somebody has to take care of me. I really think the sore throat is from the air in the house and the headache is.....just another headache. Last night, I was so tired and cold, I went to bed around 7, turned the electric blanket on High, and pretty much slept straight thru the night until 6 this morning. I feel pretty good today, although I'm still yawning like crazy.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am enjoying my coffee. I'll scoop boxes in a little while and raise the shed blinds. My umbrella tree is getting two new shoots again and the prayer plant just opened some more new leaves. The violets seem to be doing a little better. I was out there yesterday afternoon for a little while and it was so cold, I couldn't warm back up last night. I had turned the heat off and I shouldn't have; it was too soon.
  • I'm making 6 pickled (red beet) eggs to enjoy with our Easter dinner tomorrow. And our dessert tomorrow is a simple hot milk sponge cake with chocolate frosting. I need to make the cake today, too.
  • A couple loads of laundry at some point

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himself set me up an Excel spread sheet for my prepps. Of course he had all sorts of "improvements" to how I did it - food for us, non-food items, supplies for cats should be separate pages. The columns should fit on one page in case I ever want to print it. Etc. At least he didn't suggest food items be alphabetized. They are organized by baking items, cereals, canned vegetables. And no, I don't want sub-headings.

Anyhow, it disturbs me that I thought I had pulled pork and / or chili in the downstairs freezer, but did not. Want to do something before I pack up all the pulled pork and chili I just made. I used to have a little notebook, back from decades ago when we got our first freezer. Somehow that organization fell by the wayside. Aha, I'll make another Excel spread sheet! Last time I defrosted the downstairs freezer, which was before this whole meshugas started, I wrote everything onto multiple sheets of paper, chicken here, venison there, pitted sour cherries on another - you get the idea. Organized by page, sloppy because I was rushing to pack things in coolers and my fingers were cold. Think I can find them? Nope. I was looking here, looking there . . . Himself inquired what I was looking for. Told him. Easy he said, it's somewhere on your desk. Which is about 5 layers deep with stuff. I shall make an appeal to St Jude, as I finish my coffee. because I really want to do this, and am not defrosting the freezer at this time.

So today I need to clean bathrooms and kitchen.

Pack up chili and pulled pork and see if it all fits in the freezer.

Find the crude, raw data sheets and start another Excel spread sheet. St Jude, know you are probably busy, what with Easter coming tomorrow, but I sure would appreciate your help with this search.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes, tea, going to wash my quilt as I didn't get to it yesterday. Will be strange not going to Nicole's today but what's not strange these days? Jigsaw is on it's way but it said that yesterday. It's coming on a FedX truck from Groveport, Ohio which is only about 2 hours from here. Maybe a lot of people ordered jigsaws?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Amber Louise started yelling this morning at 2:30. And kept yelling. She wanted breakfast. If she thought she was getting breakfast at 2:30 in the morning, she was sadly mistaken. Around 4:00 this morning, Muffin and Molli started fighting with much hissing, spitting and yowling and, of course, the whole time, Amber is still screaming for breakfast. I finally got up, said the heck with it all, got dressed, and went out to the shed and collapsed on the couch. Rick, who can sleep through anything, got up around 7:00 and gave the brats breakfast. I stumbled back into the house around 8:00 with a mug of coffee. Rick looked at me, started laughing, and said, "Dear, you look a little rough around the edges!" To which I replied, "Oh, shut up, you." We don't have cats; we have brats. Very loud brats. I don't know what the heck sets that woman off, but some mornings, she's a real piece of work.
  • I need to scoop the boxes at some point this morning. Rick fed the brats and then emptied the dishwasher.
  • Do some outside work; since we had that windstorm, I'll gather up sticks around the yard and do some weeding. Rick is chainsawing our downed tree. He started it yesterday and will finish it today. One of our raised beds is finished for the garden and he'll work on the second one. He wants to do a third (smaller) one for our strawberry patch.
  • Outlander comes back tonight.
Mia6 Mia6 We needed a filter for our fridge water line. Ordered it and it said that the information was sent and we'd get an update when the shipment started to travel. And that was it for two weeks. The filter arrived here, while it still said that we'd get an update when it started to travel. Your puzzle may get to you before you get an update.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Thanks, Pam. I hope so. Sounds like you had quite the morning with your girls, hee hee. Maybe you can sneak a nap in before you start preparing Easter dinner. :hugs:

EDIT: I just googled FedEx and found out they deliver on Sundays! Maybe today!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.