Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Setting aside the usual get up / get dressed / feed cats and Himself / etc so far today I

1) went to every Wednesday morning knitting group, always pleasant
2) went to IGA and did a small shopping. Perused the meat case where I noticed packages of meat pork neck bones (inexpensive, not to say cheap) Bought two packages which I will rub with salt, black pepper, thyme etc, let sit overnight, then braise with dried beans - perhaps in Instant Pot? need to think about this
and now will
3) go outdoors and play pick up sticks with all the twiggy stuff that has been falling from the trees

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Setting aside the usual get up / get dressed / feed cats and Himself / etc so far today I

1) went to every Wednesday morning knitting group, always pleasant
2) went to IGA and did a small shopping. Perused the meat case where I noticed packages of meat pork neck bones (inexpensive, not to say cheap) Bought two packages which I will rub with salt, black pepper, thyme etc, let sit overnight, then braise with dried beans - perhaps in Instant Pot? need to think about this
and now will
3) go outdoors and play pick up sticks with all the twiggy stuff that has been falling from the trees

I don’t know about the bean dish in the Instant Pot. I would check online and in their directions. I know with old fashioned pressure cookers you couldn’t cook beans because they could clog the steam release and then the lid would go flying. Might be improvements on the Instant Pot though.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 The bean recipes in the Complete Instant Pot Cookbook for Two that I reviewed on my web site has bean recipes and notes that dry beans still need to be soaked overnight. On-line recipes say no soaking needed.

Plus, the quantity of beans and how much liquid etc to leave space in the inner pot should be scrupulously followed for much the same reason you so correctly pointed out to avoid foaming.

If I do use the Instant Pot I will report back. The one problem I have with it - the deliciously tantalizing smells that permeate the house as I slowly braise a winter day's dinner are absent. As here, last February: BelleWood-Gardens - Diary

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They think he might have lymphoma. We went down to his regular vet, they admitted the cat and will do more tests; the cat will stay there overnight tonight for IV fluids. We should know something tonight. I asked Bob to please call me as soon as he hears anything from the vet. He's taking the day off work because he's worried about his other cat being alone all day. Those cats are his babies and he'd do anything for them.
Sending thoughts and prayers!

Got all the things for the cat and the fish done this AM along with a couple other things in a hurry, so that I could...
get to the dentist
Then finally got the paperwork off my desk, sorted and filed. whew!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I hope Bob's cat is ok but cat's do amazingly well wih chemo. I'll sending healing thoughts and prayers:grouphug::vibes::alright:
  • Boxes
  • Tea
  • Going to put some throws in and attempt to cut hair from Callie's private areas. She's a bit smelly back there. Her first mom and dad gave her baths frequently but that is something I would need help with. Sherry cannot help because she has severe allergies. She gets injections weekly. Being around one cat is ok but more than one is not..She has severe allergies to molds, dust, ragweed, etc.If it's not too cold I'm going walk to the new gelato shoppe and pig out.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! We're worried about Jasper. Bob called me last night to say that the vet couldn't do the ultrasound yesterday and will do it at noon today, then Bob can take Jasper home. He's taking a vacation day today, so he can get him home as soon as he can. The vet also said that it will take a couple days before they know the results of the blood work, other tests, etc. She told him that she would call him over the weekend. Jasper is a gorgeous Maine Coon; everyone kept calling him "she" because he was just way too pretty to be a boy.

Mia6 Mia6 Banshee would get like that from time to time; she'd get cling-ons and need to have them washed out. I would hold her and Rick would wash her bottom with her warm washcloth. A quick dry with her towel and she was off and running. The whole time that I'd be holding her, she'd just lay there and purr; she knew we were trying to help. She had her own washcloths and towels we used for her bottom.
  • Breakfast for the girls, walked 2 miles, and will empty the dishwasher after it's finished its cycle. I also need to scoop boxes (it was my turn yesterday, but Rick did it since I was at the vet with Bob).
  • My friend is coming over today to pick up the fourth season of Outlander. She ripped through those DVDs and says she's anxiously waiting now for season 5 to start.
  • We're going to watch our grandson play basketball today. On the way home, we're stopping at Outback for a bit of dinner. (Rick normally has a union meeting and he bowls tonight, but he begged off both of them, so that we could watch the b-ball game.)
And that will be our Thursday.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom shopping and cleaning day. We skipped last Sunday and a storm is coming this weekend so I need to get her taken care of. She can produce a lot of garbage and make a real mess in a week and a half so I am expecting a lot needs to be done. If I have enough energy afterwards I may go looking for a bathroom rug.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We didn't go to our GS's basketball game. Got a text from our son that GS pulled a hamstring and wouldn't be playing. We weren't going to drive that far if he wasn't playing, so we didn't go.
  • Breakfast for the girls, walked two miles, raised the blinds in the shed (it's really windy and cold outside!), threw the second of two loads of laundry in the washer, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee
  • After I'm finished with the laundry, I'm going to clean the shed. A quick vacuum and swiffer, water the plants, all that good stuff
  • Since the weather is supposed to be snowy this weekend, Rick and I are going to visit with Rick's mom this afternoon. I want to check her Kindle and load a couple more books on.
  • We may start watching The Mandalorian on Disney+ tonight.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
To the gym this morning, last trip to the grocery store before the storm. Snow starts around 1:00 and looks like it last most of the day tomorrow so I hope to finish the puzzle I have been working on. If I get that done and have the table cleared, I have a lot of material to be cut.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I hope Bob receives good news from doc about dear Jasper. How old is he?
What kind of soap did you and Rick use when you cleansed Banshee's areas?

• I'm going to wash Callie's private areas and make her nice and clean. Hopefully I can also cut some hair from that area as well.
  • Going to have egg salad that Sherry made. She accidently dumped almost an entire bottle of course ground black pepper in the dish water and in the egg salad, groan. I have none left. and it's expensive.
  • Been up since 1:00am so it's time for a rest. Big Cal is already on the bed waiting for me.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Jasper is around ten years old; they're not sure. He got both Jasper and Hemi (a gorgeous red Maine Coon) from shelters. Jasper did come home after the ultrasound, which was negative for anything bad. Bob said that Jas and Hemi both flopped all over him and won't leave him alone. Jasper started eating a bit, too, which is good news. He does have a UTI, but they said it wasn't bad. He's watching the litter boxes to see what Jas is doing. It's the lumps on his neck that are worrisome. I'll keep my phone with me today, in case Bob calls me with news. Thank you.

Soap for Banshee? Ivory. (Do they even make Ivory anymore??) It was gentle and we rinsed her very, very well afterward. It didn't seem to bother her. And we didn't do it that often, only when she really needed it. And sometimes just lots of plain warm water.

That egg salad might be way too peppery for you to eat. Can you add some extra eggs to the mix to try to fight the pepper? What about a wee bit of vinegar or lemon juice to help? Good luck!

The snow is to arrive between 9 and 10 this morning. We went from 1-3 to 2-4 and now we're in the 5-inch range. Being on the hill, we'll likely get more than that. But it's Saturday and we've got nowhere to go and nobody to see, so we're good. We can go out and shovel sidewalks and paths and wait til our neighbor comes over to plow us out. No biggie.
  • Breakfast for the girls. Rick forgot to start the dishwasher last night, so I did it after I added breakfast plates to the mix. I'm sitting back here with my morning coffee. Rick will scoop after he gets up from his morning nap.
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer throughout the house
  • We started watching The Mandolorian last night, the first four episodes. We'll go out this afternoon or tonight to finish up the first season. I think there are only eight episodes in the season. It's really good! I didn't think I'd like it, but I became engrossed pretty quickly.
And that will be our snowy Saturday.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Move cars to the bottom of our long uphill driveway in advance of the snow. In fact, Himself will move his down and park. I will trail after him, then we'll both go to his morning computer club meeting. I will bring crocheting as the meeting is very uninteresting for me. But since my car has but half a tank of fuel so as not to park outside in bitter cold today and tonight I want to fill up.

Cats have been fed, ditto Himself (computer club no longer offers coffee and bagels, schmeer optional). Built a fire in the wood stove.

The gel heat pack Himself bought to use for his back pre-excercise at home is worthless. Having obtained a 50 pound bag of feed corn yesterday, this afternoon I will make two corn-filled heat packs using old blue jean legs. One for Himself, one for the feed store owner who recently had a knee replacement. Then return left over corn. And he gave me the corn so why not make two.

Have not yet made the braised meaty pork neck bones with beans. Cannot find juniper berries. Decided to rub the meat with gin (why not, it is juniper berries that give genever its flavor) and then the salt / black pepper / herb rub.

Need to finish my coffee. We're out of here in 30 minutes and the litter pan still needs scooped.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Went out and snowblowed early and then since the roads looks driveable, did a Target run. No other plans for the day except to work on my jigsaw puzzle and maybe clean a little.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Prayers and healing vibes for Jasper. I'll try a gentle soap on Cal.

• Boxes, tea
  • Laundry, just a load of throws
  • Very cold here and we have snow over ice with more snow to come, will not get out of the 20s today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Just make sure you rinse her very, very well. And if you can just use lots of warm water on her, so much the better. Good luck! And thanks for the wishes for Jasper. I texted Bob yesterday and he's heard nothing yet about blood work and such, only that the ultrasound came back normal.

Awakened with a headache this morning and it's strictly my fault. I made some hot cocoa (cocoa, a bit of water, sugar, and milk) yesterday morning for Rick and me and we sat in the living room and watched it snow. Then, while we were watching The Mandalorian last night, I drank a Smirnoff Ice. Silly me. I should have known better. Chocolate and Smirnoff. I just wasn't thinking. Since I've been up and drinking my coffee, it's subsided quite a bit. But I may have to lie down for a while.

We ended up with about 2 inches of snow with quite a bit of sleet and freezing rain. We had sleet and freezing rain pretty much all day yesterday. We did not lose power, thankfully. But it's really cold and windy; even the house is chilly. And last night in the shed, I was covered with an electric throw the whole time we were out there.

Finished The Mandalorian last night. It was excellent. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but it was really excellent. We'll have to wait a while for season two. I'm almost to the end of season 3 of Designing Women and have really enjoyed watching it; it's one of those shows that I've never been able to find on tv in reruns.
  • Breakfast for the girls, running the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee. (I'm going to have to start running the dishwasher at night; Rick has been forgetting to turn it on before he comes to bed. I hope I remember as I'm so used to Rick doing it.) I'll go out to the shed to raise the blinds. And then scoop the boxes.
  • I'm going to do some research on cordless stick vacuums as I want one in the shed. Lugging the Dyson back and forth is not good, especially in the snow and ice. That thing is really heavy. I don't want anything really expensive either. And we're discussing getting a soundbar for the tv. Only a discussion at this point.
  • Try to stay warm. I am a wuss in the winter and we've been spoiled with above-normal temperatures thus far. I'm really cold.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Awakened with a headache this morning and it's strictly my fault. I made some hot cocoa (cocoa, a bit of water, sugar, and milk) yesterday morning for Rick and me and we sat in the living room and watched it snow. Then, while we were watching The Mandalorian last night, I drank a Smirnoff Ice. Silly me. I should have known better. Chocolate and Smirnoff. I just wasn't thinking. Since I've been up and drinking my coffee, it's subsided quite a bit. But I may have to lie down for a while.
Oh Pam, not another one. So Chocolate and Vodka don't go well together?
Cal has been sleeping all morning. She went out for a short while yesterday and got wet. I wiped her
back there and she smelled better but I'm still going to do the thing you did for Banshee.
Hope you feel better. :hugs:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About an inch or a little more of snow then a drizzle of rain. Himself was going to get aboard the ATV and plow the driveway. But as we were having breakfast here came Dave with his red dually dump truck and plow, clearing the driveway! Had his two boys with him, so front walk is shoveled too! Handed out three chocolate chip cookies (baked last Friday morning) along with the cash. Now Himself just needs to tidy the edges and clean off the cars.

Which means we will likely be able to get to the fire station for this afternoon's barbecue. They do really excellent ribs, pulled pork, homemade sides. We missed the October event as it was just 2 days after Himself fell and hurt his back.

First load of laundry churning around. Once it goes into the dryer the second load goes into the washer.

And, BTW, the feed corn heat pack heats much better than the "boughten" gel pack. Today I need to make the one for the man at the feed store, and may ask my friend who had back surgery if she would like one too.

There's blue sky, white clouds, fire in the wood stove, and I've had my coffee. The driveway is plowed. I think the day is starting off rather well, don't you agree?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Gym this morning. Used the electric snow thrower to clear the back patio, brushed the snow off the feeders and then threw out hazelnuts for the squirrels. The plan for the afternoon is to tackle my bedroom closets and toss out or donate a bunch of stuff.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fire station barbecue was tasty. We shared a half rack of ribs and a pulled pork sandwich on a bun. Comes with sides of coleslaw (one container each, applesauce (ditto), and something we didn't get around to which might be soup. A beverage each - bottle of water, canned tea, or soda. All for just $25 for the two of us.

I think most people do it as takeout as there was only one table set up, in the fire station, in among the fire engines, and racks of fire gear, etc. They were doing a presentation for parents and little children. Charming, and each child was given a red plastic fireman's hat to take home.

So we're eating and whistles go off and men start climbing into gear. I'm trying to wipe barbecue sauce off my fingers so I can grab the camera without saucing it.

They were back rather quickly so it must have been a minor call-out. How about that, barbecue with live entertainment.

Their next event is Super Bowl Sunday barbecue. I think we'll do take-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.