Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular stuff
Kaylee and I will do some laundry
My tomatoes that I grew from seeds sprouted about 2 inches from the rain we had on Friday but still
no flowers. Nicole looked at them on Saturday and didn't think I would get any. Oh well, it has been
fun trying and you never know.

Winchester Winchester So glad you are getting an ac unit for shed. It will feel so good when you go in and get
away from the heat and humidity.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Need to go to Dollar Tree
2. Pitch more stuff (the rain ruined some of my stuff I had outside to go through, ugh)
3. Make some cold brew green tea for tomorrow

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick's turn to get up with the girls, so Molli and I lounged until 8:30 this morning. She came back around 6:30 and started scritching at the bedroom door. I got up, opened the door, and she sauntered into the bedroom and hopped up on the bed. I went back to bed and she curled up with me and we went back to sleep for a while. We woke up again around 8:00 and cuddled for a while, then she decided she was ready for her after-breakfast breakfast. I got up, fed the girls, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • We may (or may not) go to Lowes this morning. I want to look at edgings, we need new plugs for the lion fountain by the pool, and we still need one board to complete the latticework under the shed deck.
  • I'd like to work a bit in the kitchen this afternoon. Clean out drawers and cabinets, take some stuff down to the basement. The fridge could use washed down and cleaned shelves.
  • Followed by a quick vacuum and Swiffer in the kitchen.
I had a shower yesterday, but I think I need to re-wash my hair. Yesterday, I made that pineapple upside down cake. Well, I had to melt frozen butter and I was trying to slice it. Stupidly, I sliced into the pad of my thumb, quite a ways in. That thing bled like you wouldn't believe. And every time I tried to do something it would bleed. We bandaged the thumb, but it kept bleeding through the bandages. We finally got the bleeding to stop, but it really hurt. I tried to wash and rinse my hair with one hand and I don't think my hair is very clean. I'm going to wash my hair today and give it a good conditioning and see if that helps.

BTW, the white is now starting to frame around my eyes and temple. It's getting long and the white is really getting long now, too. (I probably should go to the salon, get a good cut and color to turn the rest of my hair into the white/silver. Get it all done before the governor decides to shut us back down, although PA isn't as bad as the southern states.....yet.)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
regular stuff

will help Kaylee clean. She was able to borrow a knee scooter from her cousin and after
resting her ankle and foot all weekend she is in a lot less pain.

we'll have French fries and sparking grape juice and pretend it's Chateau Margaux
to celebrate Cal's birthday since it's on Bastille Day.

Winchester Winchester Happy First Day of AC in the shed!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Thanks! Although right now, I don't think it's necessary! See that's the thing around here. We have our times when we're in the 90s and those times are more frequent than they used to be. Right now, our days are much more pleasant; the humidity has dropped and our temps are in the mid-to-upper 80s. But I'm sure that once we get back into the 90s (and we will!), I'll be ready for the AC in the shed. I know Rick will! He had said that he'll help me put The Cat Library puzzle together.
I'm glad Kaylee is in less pain.
And Happy Birthday, Callie!

We had a busy day yesterday. I went up to the garden and found beans, beans, and more beans. Got them picked. Rick found squash, squash, and more squash, including a mammoth zucchini. He cut them and brought them in. Got the beans cleaned, blanched, cooled and sealed for the freezer. I'm going to use the squashes today for supper. (Spiralized squash with marinara) We went to Lowes, bought some edging stones, and I spent the afternoon laying out the stones in front of the shed. I need more stones to get around the end where the hosta and the coral bell plants are. Maybe later on this week. Rick spent the afternoon up in the garden tying tomato plants up, supporting pepper plants, and tying butternut squash plants to the fence.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • Will spend some time this afternoon adding more mulch to the area at the front of the shed. That's where Hamm, the gargoyle is living and he needs a bit more of a bed. The hosta that I transplanted still looks quite scraggly; I'm hoping that next year, they will look better. They definitely "took" to their new home. It takes a good year or so for them to really come back around. I hope they do. Somebody suggested that I simply cut all the leaves down to the ground and let them grow back. Well, I'll cut them back in the fall, like we always do. But for now, I'm leaving them alone as they already had a shock being transplanted.
  • Thinking about making some yellow squash muffins, some for the freezer, and some for us. They'll come in handy this fall with chili and soup. And I'll use the rest of the squash in a quiche for dinner tomorrow night. By that time, more squash will be ready! I swear they show up out of nowhere!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far today I

1) Scrubbed the third white plastic Adirondack style deck chair. It now looks (mostly) white again. One more to go. Remarkable difference but there are some black speckles that don't scrub off. Don't want to use bleach because I do the scrubbing on the lawn where I can get to a hose. And - see item no. 3 - the driveway is filled with three large trucks.

2) Weed whipped down the driveway, across by the street, and started back up the driveway but ran out both batteries.

3) Five men are here replacing our boiler. It is 20 years old, it had an "issue" earlier this year and parts are getting difficult to find. I told Himself now was the time to do it because otherwise it will die in the middle of winter with 2 feet of snow on the driveway. So it is being done today. Which means the propane is shut off so my stove is - in effect - shut off too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault That will be an expensive job, but you're right. Now's a good time, rather than in the middle of winter. You've been busy.

My day to lounge in with Molli; we got up around 8:30 or so.
Rick is working on union stuff today and tomorrow. He'll be at the union office pretty much all day tomorrow, followed by the union meeting late afternoon, when he turns everything over to the newly elected financial secretary/treasurer. I asked him if he was going to miss doing the job; he said, "NO!" But I think he will. He's been so heavily involved in unions for well over 30 years and I think he'll miss the people, if nothing else. He says he has a lot going on around the house and yard to keep him busy.
  • Made the zucchini muffins. When I started to veer away from the recipe, I started writing it down as I went. I want to keep it. Got 13, ate one, will give 6 to my sister and BIL, and we'll munch on the rest. I went downstairs and brought up two pints of zucchini relish to give to her, too. I need to get the old used up before I can make new. And with the zucchini coming on like wildfire in the garden, I'm going to make some fairly soon, I think.
  • Will scoop boxes. Waiting for the trash guy to go, so I can bring the trash can up to the house from the road.
  • Perusing Amazon, looking for jumbo muffin pans and liners. Haven't bought anything, just looking.
The AC unit did come yesterday and it's in the shed. They recommend letting it set upright for 6, preferably 24 hours, before plugging it in. We're waiting, although I think Rick will plug it in, since he's out there working anyway. Another bad heat wave coming in this weekend into pretty much all next week, according to our local weather-weenies. Temps in the 90s, high humidity, all that good stuff.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is spending the day at the union office, followed by the union meeting. Then he's finished.
We set up and plugged in the AC unit in the shed yesterday afternoon. At 73, it's quite cozy and, by last night, I was starting to get chilly. Of course, then I came into the house and was roasting to death.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. I'll probably end up scooping the boxes.
  • Two loads of laundry this morning
  • Do some dead-heading, esp in the front flower bed
I started re-watching Star Trek TNG last night. Gosh, they all look so young! And then Josh Gates has Jonathon Frakes and Martina Sirtris on his show last night. Interesting! I'm such a TNG fan. I don't know that I'll watch all of the episodes.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is officially completely retired now; he turned over the keys to the union office. But I do have a story to tell (don't I always). I put his union financial records on a thumb drive for him to put on the union laptop. He doesn't do computer stuff; he says that's what he has me for, which is frustrating for me. People should know how to use their computers! So he got into the office at work, tried to transfer the data over to the laptop and couldn't figure it out. Now, how flipping hard is it to transfer data? It's not. It's just not. But when you don't do your own computer stuff, well, it's a problem. So he called me. And I was on the phone with him for almost an hour, trying to explain how to save a file from the thumb to the laptop. He couldn't figure it out. The President was there and he couldn't figure it out. He ended up bringing the union laptop home. Got it home, I turned it on, and whoosh! Data saved. It took me less than a minute. He gave me THAT look. But this is not rocket science! And so he had to take the laptop back up to the union office first thing this morning. *sigh* Anyway, it's done.
  • Molli and I lounged this morning until around 8:30 or so, then we got up, I made my coffee, and gave the girls their after-breakfast breakfast.
  • I made a quick dough ball. When it's done rising I'll throw it in the fridge for the day. Pizza for our Friday night supper.
  • Work outside this afternoon. We were supposed to get rain today, but it's all going directly to the north of us and we probably won't get much of anything. We'll have to water tonight.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Regular stuff most of the week
Doing more because Kaylee isn't able to do everything yet
Will be in the 90s today as it was almost all week, so over it.

I fell out of bed twice in one night ha!!, I think it was Monday night which happens occasionally when
I am stressed. The second time I couldn't get up without turning myself around so did that till I was
on my knees and pushed myself up. I got up them because I didn't want it to happen again. I usually
sleep with just a light throw over me in the summer and not under the covers I;ve been keeping
pillows on the floor beside the bed so if it happens again it will be a soft fall, hee, hee I've been
having odd dreams as well. since COVID19 began

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular stuff most of the week
Doing more because Kaylee isn't able to do everything yet
Will be in the 90s today as it was almost all week, so over it.

I fell out of bed twice in one night ha!!, I think it was Monday night which happens occasionally when
I am stressed. The second time I couldn't get up without turning myself around so did that till I was
on my knees and pushed myself up. I got up them because I didn't want it to happen again. I usually
sleep with just a light throw over me in the summer and not under the covers I;ve been keeping
pillows on the floor beside the bed so if it happens again it will be a soft fall, hee, hee I've been
having odd dreams as well. since COVID19 began
That falling is dangerous! Have you thought about getting a rail on one side or both. They attach to the frame and give you something to grab onto to turn over or get up. Plus they might help you from falling out.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is definitely summer - hot and getting hotter, humid too. Now it is noon as so far this morning I

1) weeded a large black plastic tub's worth of weed. Probably have 50, 60, 100 more to go.
2) Cut a Chewy's box into 2 pieces, made some adjustments, and placed over the root zone of a Magnolia virginiana, then covered with shredded leaves. Smother those weeds, is my plan.
3) Cut back a dead primary trunk on a large Viburnum using a large pair of loppers. That enabled me to remove the strap and cable arrangement that was an attempt to hold it up. Will need to use my small battery chain saw to trim it close to the ground. Also need to haul the branches off to the brush pile but that will wait for a different day.
4) Got buzzed by a hummingbird when I was adding water to the cup at the top of the feeder to deter ants. The hummers are drinking the feeder dry every 2 to 3 days. A second one came by - they are aggressive little birds, aren't they just!
5) Took some pictures of what's in bloom in my garden, up near the house.

I have an idea for a blueberry trifle. Need to go to the farm and feed for more eggs. But right now it is nice to sit.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Spent the morning in the garden, picking bean, cutting some peppers and zucchini, grabbing some cherry tomatoes that are starting to redden.
  • Scooped the boxes
  • Fed my sourdough starter, so it's fresh for bread-baking tomorrow morning
  • Working out in the yard this afternoon. It's really hot, hot, hot.
Mia6 Mia6 If you're going to fall out of bed, maybe you should get one of those alert buttons? My mom would fall and she couldn't get back on her feet; she'd have to use her alert button and the paramedics would come to help her. They always called me, too, so I'd run up to make sure she was doing all right. I hope you're OK.
C catapault Blueberry trifle? My, that sounds good!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We are in the middle of our 90+ degree days. Today, we'll be pushing 100 and the humidity is insane. I can see a pool day coming up. Rick gave the garden a good watering last night; everything is so thirsty as we've had no rain to speak of.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher and am back here with my coffee. I'll scoop in a bit.
  • Two loads of laundry this morning.
  • I'm making a honey bun cake. Rick is dying for something sweet and I know this will hit the spot. I was going to make bread, but honestly, it's simply too warm this morning. I may throw together some dough for white chip and macadamia nut cookies to bake tomorrow.
  • Working on a bit of a grocery list.
  • I think we're sleeping in the shed tonight, so I'll have to go out and make up the bed this afternoon.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Daily Deep Clean (it's getting rid of the cockroaches/water bugs)
2. Surveys
3. GPT sites

Besides the usual of hiding the cat stuff (which is fine because it also gives me a chance to wash down the cat area and cool off the bricks for them as well as clean their items (remember the raccoons and possums use too).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular morning things
watch Sunday Mass on Zoom
read local newspaper
dump and clean litter box,
Clean bathroom after box is done...

Busy day...and hot.. AC will be on, blinds drawn.. I will be a hermit.. Temps in high 90's with heat index at least 100 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.