Name Three Things - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Got up early. Still very cold..with wind chills minus 12.
Cleaned boxes.
Made several cups of tea. Wish I wasn't allergic to wool. The sweaters segelkatt segelkatt described sound so warm.
I'll try to keep warm today. Kitties are cuddled up on their blankets.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
If you are allergic to wool it's probably wool from sheep which is rather coarse which pokes you and thus causes a rash. There is also wool from cashmere goats, alpacas, (a relative of sheep living in Peru) and wool from merino sheep which do not cause the itch because they are much finer and thus smoother. Some people also wear silk underwear under wool clothing. Wool will always be warmer than acrylic which looks nice but just can't beat wool and it stretches when exposed to high heat like in a dryer. Wool on the other hand will shrink when exposed to hot water and dryer heat.
Real allergy to wool is quite rare and is thought that the real culprit is the wool alcohol in the lanolin of sheep's wool. If you are also allergic to creams, lotions and make-up containing lanolin then you have a true allergy to wool.
Scientists have found that most people who complain about wool allergies are most likely allergic to whatever dust or cat dander is caught in the garment. As a cat parent this is unlikely but don't give up on wool quite yet. Go to a place where they sell cashmere scarves and rub it on on your arm. If there is no reaction nby the next day I would say that you can wear cashmere. Also a wool blend may be a solution.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
If you are allergic to wool it's probably wool from sheep which is rather coarse which pokes you and thus causes a rash. There is also wool from cashmere goats, alpacas, (a relative of sheep living in Peru) and wool from merino sheep which do not cause the itch because they are much finer and thus smoother. Some people also wear silk underwear under wool clothing. Wool will always be warmer than acrylic which looks nice but just can't beat wool and it stretches when exposed to high heat like in a dryer. Wool on the other hand will shrink when exposed to hot water and dryer heat.
Real allergy to wool is quite rare and is thought that the real culprit is the wool alcohol in the lanolin of sheep's wool. If you are also allergic to creams, lotions and make-up containing lanolin then you have a true allergy to wool.
Scientists have found that most people who complain about wool allergies are most likely allergic to whatever dust or cat dander is caught in the garment. As a cat parent this is unlikely but don't give up on wool quite yet. Go to a place where they sell cashmere scarves and rub it on on your arm. If there is no reaction nby the next day I would say that you can wear cashmere. Also a wool blend may be a solution.
I'm allergic to angora, cashmere, mohair, but not sheep's wool. I have a pair of Ugg slippers which are made from sheep's wool and can wear them with no problem. So it's cotton for me and some blends. I have a problem with a lot of
make-up as well.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, sorted laundry, and got ready for work
  • Laundry night
  • Trash night

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester:
Did you forget to scoop your litter boxes? LOL.
I washed a load of clothes, tried to get my feral to come inside to eat his breakfast and gathered up the trash to take out to the curb.

Do you guys recycle? I do. They come twice a month. Sometimes I get tired of washing everything and taking it out to the curb. I wonder if is really worth the trouble. I have a large bin and every two weeks it is full of plastic, cans, glass, newspapers and junk mail.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Cleaned the boxes. Wish the Vincie girl would cover her poops. Since she got older she doesn't do it very well but Callie will cover them for her.

Had tea.

Did some laundry, showered.

My helper will be here soon and she is going to the store so I made a list.

Can't stand the excitement. :flail:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Winchester:
Did you forget to scoop your litter boxes? LOL.
I washed a load of clothes, tried to get my feral to come inside to eat his breakfast and gathered up the trash to take out to the curb.

Do you guys recycle? I do. They come twice a month. Sometimes I get tired of washing everything and taking it out to the curb. I wonder if is really worth the trouble. I have a large bin and every two weeks it is full of plastic, cans, glass, newspapers and junk mail.
muffy muffy , nope didn't forget to scoop! Because it was trash night, I cleaned all the boxes out and refilled with fresh scoopable litter. I got stuck doing it because Rick got home from a union meeting quite late, so it fell to me to work on the trash.

We recycle, pretty much everything we can get our hands on. We have bins in the basement for plastics #1 and #2, cans, newpapers, magazines, cardboard, etc. We have to take it all down to the municipal building where the trailers are located, then dump it all into the appropriate trailer. As I use cans, I put them in the dishwasher; we run the dishwasher every night, so it's not a hassle to wash the cans and glass jars that way. My co-worker, who is also our county's recycling coordinator, says we probably have the cleanest recyclables in the county. :lol: Our county has single-stream recycling and we're thinking about going with that. Single-stream would enable us to recycle more: Other plastics, including cat litter containers, yogurt containers, k-cups, and the like. And it all goes out together, no more separating our stuff.

And in the summer, we compost. Produce peelings, egg shells, coffee grounds, tea leaves, pet hair and nails, you name it, we compost it. Leaves, some newspaper. I wish there was a way to recycle used cat litter! We have piles around the garden: one pile of new stuff to be composted, one pile that's composting, and one pile that we can use. We also have a composter that you turn every day. We bring it out of the shed once the weather gets warm; it gives us a nice bunch of compost in a little over a month.

OK, sorry for the digression.....
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, and got ready for work
  • Must scoop tonight and I'll do a quick vacuum
  • Rick is bowling tonight, so it's Nintendo Night for me

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Cleaned boxes
Made tea
Put warmer clothes on, it's another day with minus wind chills, yikes! :jawdrop::help:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm off work, took a vacation day. I thought about it yesterday afternoon, then wrote up my time sheet with the vacation day on it, and took it back to my boss. He looked at it, said "OK" and that was that.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee
  • Thinking of making a pizza for dinner tonight; I'll have to make some dough
  • I'm going to rip through the house this morning: vacuum, dust, wash the floors, clean the bathroom, all that good stuff.
  • I'm going to rip through my closet through, see what I have, and what can be trashed and do some organizing
  • Must scoop the boxes
Any day that I'm not at work is a good day, as far as I'm concerned. I just didn't feel like dealing with anything today.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>

oh, yes! i do recycle. :agree: i recycle everything that my trash removal service takes.

i have a dishpan, for soaking dishes in my sink. i just put the cat food cans, bottles, and etc that need washing in there (with hot soapy water). after letting them soak for a while, they just need a quick rinsing out. then i take them out to the recycling bin.

today i washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, took out the trash/recycling, shoveled snow, moved a 4 lb piece of boneless pork loin to the fridge to thaw, and did some printing. i also moved more firewood, and did a little vacuuming.

i'll make 3 liters of ginger ale this evening. after that, i'll likely play some computer games and continue with a jigsaw puzzle.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we are encouraged to recycle as much as possible. In the basement are two dumpsters: one is right under the garbage chute for bagged garbage and the disposal service comes once a week. The other sits by itself but in the same location, a small room with a big door and you need to go down there and unload whatever you have. As this is a 3-story building with an elevator and there are only people over 55 living here just about everyone has one of those little carts to take your groceries from the underground garage where the trash room is to one's apartment, so it is no big deal to just take your cart full of recycles down there. This dumpster has a sign on it telling you what to recycle and what not. Still there are people too lazy to take their newspapers down there and put it down the garbage chute. I called one person on that and she said she did not have time to take the papers down there, she had a huge stack and I know she has a cart. She is 93, in good physical shape, so why can she not take her recycles down there? What the heck does she do that she does not have time? It irks me every time I see her do that.

Changed the drawer in the LitterRobot, what would I do without it? 3 cats make a lot of messes and Capucchino is using it more and more lately although I still have to have the puppy pad down for her in that one spot just in case. Yes, the LitterRobot is expensive but I am certainly saving in using less litter, there is no stink, one LitterRobot is enough for the whole crew and I don't have to scoop ever. I wish I had stock in that company or that I would get a commission every time I tell people how great it is, oh well.
Went to a Yacht Club meeting where I do hospitality.
Yesterday I de-fuzzed all the carpet so I don't have to do any of that today.
Watered all the plants inside, on the patio and in front of my door.
Played with kitties.
Made a fancy new band for my watch with lapis lazuli and silver as I had broken the previous one and repaired a necklace, also designed a new necklace with lapis and silver, still debating if I should change the design.
P1010648.JPG
P1010652.JPG
the new band for the watch
P1010650.JPG
I may still change this
P1010651.JPG

the closure had come off so I had to take the whole thing apart and string it new, my daughter had made this for me so I put it back together the same way
P1010645.JPG
P1010646.JPG

somebody gave me this for my collection of various things "cat". I like the detail of it, especially that they made an effort to get the cat's backside correctly. The swing really moves.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt I like your watchband. Very pretty. I like the swing, too.

I managed to get everything done yesterday that I wanted to do. That doesn't always happen. It was just nice not having to do into work.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee. Rick will scoop when he gets up from his morning nap.
  • Must bake a Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake and then frost it with my whipped peanut butter frosting. My sister and BIL are coming in for dinner tonight.
  • Run errands this morning: banking, butcher shop, local bakery/restaurant to pick up the white coconut cake
And that's pretty much it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, and keep the wood stove going. i'll spend some time with my budget, and on some planning.

after that, i'll play some computer games, and continue with a jigsaw puzzle.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fed cats.
Ate a big breakfast which I don't usually do
Snuggled with Chamouti.
Loaded dishwasher and started it.
Gathered up all garbage.
Made bed.
Somebody has been using the LitterRobot more than usually so it needs to have the drawer emptied already again. Hm, is Capucchino using it more? The puppy pad is still dry.
It's only 9 a.m. I've already done a lot, I'm on a roll towards getting lots done today.
I did re-design the choker, now it's a real statement necklace.
P1010656.JPG
First I just had it as a choker but then -----
P1010657.JPG
decided it needed something at the center so added the pendant I already had. It also is sterling silver and Lapis Lazuli. It looks better added to the choker than on a chain, it gives the impression on being an antique. The pendant came from Afghanistan and I bought it at the GemFaire which comes around 5 times a year and I buy all my supplies there too. Much cheaper and there are always hundreds of vendors there selling everything from fine jewelry to crystals for prices that are as much as 70 % off retail and it's open to the general public.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt I like your watchband. Very pretty. I like the swing, too.

I managed to get everything done yesterday that I wanted to do. That doesn't always happen. It was just nice not having to do into work.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee. Rick will scoop when he gets up from his morning nap.
  • Must bake a Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake and then frost it with my whipped peanut butter frosting. My sister and BIL are coming in for dinner tonight.
  • Run errands this morning: banking, butcher shop, local bakery/restaurant to pick up the white coconut cake
And that's pretty much it.
That peanut butter frosting sounds amazing! Is it buttercream?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That peanut butter frosting sounds amazing! Is it buttercream?
Mia6 Mia6 , no it's not buttercream. You make a thickener with flour, milk and just a little salt, cooked til it comes to a boil, then covered with plastic wrap and cooled down. I make this part before I ever make the cake. Then, after the thickener and the cake are completely cool, you mix butter, shortening, vanilla, and sugar together in a mixer. Add the cooled thickener, mix that in well, then mix in the peanut butter. Give it a good whip on high til it all comes together. It's decadent and everybody loves it. Recipe is here: Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts Go down a ways on the page; it's Whipped Peanut Butter Frosting.

Warning: With the butter, shortening, and peanut butter, it is high in calories and fat. But I don't make it every week, or even every month, so it's OK as far as I'm concerned. It's worth making. Honest. Especially with a chocolate cake. Try the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake. You won't be sorry, if you like chocolate.

segelkatt segelkatt I like your choker. Very pretty.

I'm tired this morning and I have a headache. My fault, I had a Smirnoff Ice last night. Yes, I know better, I really do. But dang, it was good. So far, it's not a migraine, just a really bad headache.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, and brought my coffee back here to the computer. Rick stripped the bed and put the first load of laundry in the washer. He'll scoop the boxes when he gets up from his morning nap.
  • I have four loads of laundry to do this morning
  • Must work on a grocery list
  • Visit with Rick's mom; she called yesterday to make sure my sister and I didn't eat all the coconut cake. She wants her slice! And she wants a slice of the chocolate cake with the PB frosting, too. "Just two smallish pieces, please". :lol:
And that's it. I don't plan on doing much today. Work will call tomorrow. Dang.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slept in as I had woken at 3:30 without being able to go back to sleep until around around 4:30. Wen to the garden and picked the last 2 savoy cabbages , a red cabbage and a head of frilly lettuce, dug up and disposed of some veggie roots. Took pics of the grape hyancinths that have already come up.
P1010677.JPG
P1010668.JPG

Blanched the cabbages in chunks and put them in vacuum bags for freezing for later
Overdosed on "winter" movies on the Hallmark Channel with Chamouti cuddled up next to me, this way I get my "snow fix" without being exposed to freezing temps. Nice scenery, repetitive plots, who cares, just mindless entertainment.
Took out all trash including the used litter from the LitterRobot.
Loaded dishwasher and later unloaded it.
Yes, I know it's more than 3 things, so what. I didn't completely veg out.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Back to work today. Rick is off as he has a doctor's appointment.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked four miles, and got ready for work. Since Rick is off work, he'll scoop the boxes at some point
  • Call to cancel STARZ; Outlander's final episode of the season was last night and that's the only reason we have STARZ.
  • Must grab some groceries tonight
  • Rick's mom is having trouble with her phone, so we're going back up tonight
My Penzey order came in over the weekend. I came into and it was on my desk. I got several kinds of cinnamon in my mini baking box, some nutmeg, and I got some sweet Hungarian paprika. I go through sweet paprika and cinnamon like a house afire. I don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.