Name Three Things - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
While out mowing yesterday, I got stung. I was down by the redbud tree in the front yard...."something" came swarming out from in the tree and got me. I got stung nine times. Burn! Man, did that burn. The neighbors probably thought I was crazy, waving my arms, slapping my leg. I came into the house and wiped my leg down with peroxide. Twice on my right ankle, three times on my right shin, twice behind my right knee and I even got stung twice on the outer left side of my chest. Got the front yard mowed, then came in, grabbed a shower, and started working on laundry. The back yard can wait until Rick can get the riding mower started. And I'm not going close to that redbud tree until after the first hard freeze. I started with the peroxide, then switched over to a baking soda paste (thank you @Mother Dragon ) and this morning, I dolloped all the stings with a good dose of Caladryl Clear; all I did last night was scratch. The itching is really bad.
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, stripped the bed, scooped the boxes, took the trash out
  • Working on the first of two loads of laundry
  • Do a quick vacuum around the house
  • I need to make pasta sauce for the freezer
  • Make a coffee cake to use up sour cream in the fridge, thinking of making blueberry sauce to go with the cake

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get stung when I used to cut my grass. It hurt like Hell. It felt like someone was holding a match to my arm.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh wow, Winchester Winchester !!! :fear: bee and (especially) wasp stings, in large numbers, can bring on anaphylactic shock. i'm glad you're okay! :agree:

i think that with the extreme weather conditions this year, that the bees are really very 'testy'. wasps, on the other hand, they've always got a very bad attitude. wasps are very aggressive. bees will sting if provoked, but wasps sting for the 'joy' of it.

something that can be good to know is that honey bees can only sting once, then they die -- their stinger cannot be...retracted, and other vital parts of the honey bee are left behind with the stinger. while wasps can and will sting multiple times, as their stingers aren't left behind in the person they sting. individual wasps do need to generate more venom, once they've stung. they can sting multiple times in a short period of time, with each sting giving less venom than the previous sting.

bee stings are quite painful, but the wasp stings are worse. and wasps have a particularly nasty combination that makes up their venom.

with bees and wasps, moving slowly and not making any sudden or fast motions is the thing to do. sudden or fast movements can cause them to feel threatened. when threatened, they'll sting.

when approaching them, it's best to do so before dawn or after dusk, when they're settled in their nest/hive for the night. wear long sleeved shirt, long pants, and put a rubber band or tie a piece of string around the wrists and ankles of the clothing -- to prevent them from getting under the clothing. move slowly, and no sudden movements.

today i've moved a nice loaf of sourdough bread to the fridge to thaw. i'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes. i might need to move some cold cuts to the fridge to thaw -- will check on that.

i'll do some printing, too. and i'll probably go ahead and starting writing up next month's budget, the 'standard' deductions, today.

after that, i'll watch something on tv.

Sokkies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Evening here already so , what I know I will still do tonight is , give the cats food and then going to watch Deadpool 2

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
oh wow, Winchester Winchester !!! :fear: bee and (especially) wasp stings, in large numbers, can bring on anaphylactic shock. i'm glad you're okay! :agree:
Thanks micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I was worried about anaphylactic shock, too. My prescription for my Epi-Pen ran out a while ago and I never got it refilled. I've never been allergic to stings to the point where I was going into shock (My mom always had something with her and when she got stung, it always meant an ER visit), but I was worried on Saturday and thought about calling 911. It worked out OK. Whew! And BTW, sourdough bread? Yum!!! Did you make it?
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, got ready for work. I had taken a vacation day today, but decided to save it for another time. So here I am, in my office with my coffee. :sigh:
  • I have to run to the grocery store tonight for a few things, nothing major
  • Do a quick vacuum, a Swiffer, scoop the boxes, general clean-up. The house doesn't really look bad, to be honest; it's amazing how much neater everything is without Dear Richard and The Beast. Quieter, too, other than mealtimes for the girls.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , it might be worth considering to have your Epi-Pen prescription refilled again, since there are some bees/wasps in your yard that have shown a...desire to sting. for you, or for your DH, if he's going to be trying to locate or remove them. if it's been really dry this summer in your area, bees can take up residence in abandoned critter holes in the ground, and there are some wasps that specifically create in-ground nests -- so be aware that in-ground nests are a possibility.

i didn't make the sourdough bread, but that reminds me that i've been meaning to find a good sourdough bread recipe for the bread machine. :think: i bought two loaves of it for 50 cents each at the produce auction last week. i also bought a bag of 10 dinner rolls and 8 hot dog buns for 50 cents per -- all the bread was Heidelberg Baking Company brand -- Heidelberg Baking Company Heidelberg Bread Bakery and Cafe Coffee Shop hand made German bread no preservatives bread Green Mountain Coffee and i bought two 11 ounce bags of corn chips for 50 cents each. :D

today i've done some printing. i'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes. i may very well start on some planning, but will see. i've got some reorganizing planned for tomorrow, so i'm not 'pushing myself' today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you're right micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I should get another prescription and have it filled. I never had to use it the last time, but you never know.

I bought yet another sourdough starter from King Arthur. I don't have any problem with the baking and have made some truly excellent soft pretzels, bread, pizza crusts, English muffins, etc. with my sourdough. My problem is that I bake more in the colder months, so keeping the starter around works out well. I'll bake a loaf of bread every week. But once it gets really hot and humid in the summer, I don't want to bake as often. I freeze the starter for the summer, thaw it out in the fall again and it's fine....I can bake with it for about two weeks or so. Then it molds. Every single year. I read that starter can be dehydrated, and may try that next summer instead of freezing it. Meanwhile, it's supposed to be here on Friday, so I can feed it and get it started. Again. (And also, I really hate having to throw my discarded starter away. So I bake with it; that's where the pizza crusts, soft pretzels, and English muffins all come in. But really, how many English muffins can one eat in a week??? So that's a problem, too. But the thing is......heavens, a loaf of sourdough tastes so good! And that's why I keep trying to work with it.)

Anyway, Dear Richard will be back home today. As will The Beast. I have to say that this past weekend has been so calm and peaceful, even with the girls yelling at me in the morning for breakfast. No taking the dog out, no hearing the dog pant constantly (even with the drugs, she is a very anxious dog and pants 24/7), not having to medicate the dog, not having to have shut gates throughout the house, just not having to deal with the dog. Wonderful. Back to reality tonight when I get home.
  • Breakfast for my girls, emptied the dishwasher, took the kitty couch back to the bedroom (Mollipop was upset when the kitty couch left the living room; she loves the couch), and got The Beast's beds back out to the living room, put the gates back up in the house, scooped the boxes, and took the trash out to the can, got ready for work.
  • Clarence and I stopped for $20 gas. I $20 myself to death every week. $20 for Clarence and then $20 for the Tucson when I have to drive that.
  • I have a planning commission meeting tonight right after work.
  • Come home and face reality. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.
And that's pretty much it.

(Sorry for the book this morning.)

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. Work
2. Giving the kitties some treats at lunchtime
3. Come home and give them food at dinnertime
4. Going to the funeral of my next door neighbor. He was 98 yrs old and still had all his faculties. We watched Lawrence Welk every Saturday. I'll miss him very much.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
LisaT. LisaT. I'm sorry about your neighbor.

Rick got home around 3:00 yesterday and he also brought The Beast home. He said the cats all looked at The Beast when she came up the steps, looked at each other, and he swears they all sighed. He says Mollipop rolled her eyes and said, "Oh crap. Seriously?" Much like I did when I got home last night and The Beast met me as I was walking up the steps (Rick says it's quite obvious that Molli is my cat because she even acts like me, which may or may not be a good thing). It was nice while it lasted.
  • Breakfast for the kids, made the bed, did some walking, sorted laundry, got ready for work
  • Laundry night
  • Trash night
That's pretty much it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's Thursday and that means only one more day til the weekend! :yess:
  • Breakfast for the kids, went for a walk, and got ready for work
  • Scoop the boxes, do a quick vacuum
  • Rick is bowling, so it's Nintendo Night at our house (I still suck little green worms)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , i make sourdough starter from scratch, i don't use a starter mix. my sourdough is (white) rye flour based, and gets very nicely 'sour'.

today i washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, took out some trash and recycling. i checked on how much carob chips i've got on hand, moved some dessert to the fridge to thaw. i also made a batch of extra chunky cinnamon applesauce, which is in two containers in the freezer now. i spent a little time with my budget, and on some planning.

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I head to bed tonight I'm going to:
  • Work on my vision board
  • Start a new book reading journal because I just finished a 200 entry journal. I started tracking my book notes/reviews/impressions back in 2015! :)
  • Change my sheets to fresh, dryer warmed, lavender scented ones so I can sleep comfortably tonight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom That's great that you do your sourdough from scratch. I've tried making my own starter and it never works out well.

dalpaengi dalpaengi Wow, that's a lot of books! Kudos!

It's been a very long week and I'm ready to start the weekend.
  • Breakfast for the kids, went for a walk, and got ready for work
  • Hair appt tonight
  • Scoop the boxes
  • We may throw the winter chemicals in the pool tonight to get it ready to close this weekend
  • We need to talk about where we want to go to start looking at new front doors. It's time for a new front door, a new storm door, and I'd like to install a window in the wall above the door (we have a bi-level). I need to call the contractor to see when he can fit us into his schedule. (We'd also like a new foyer floor and new stair railing, but that may have to wait til next year, when we put new flooring in the living room.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Already gave the Vet an update on the cats. Good thing they both have an appointment tomorrow. I just need them to get through today without more issues:crossfingers:

I took today off from work to go to a doctor apointment. Afterwards I'll go to Papyrus and browse greeting cards and gifts and stationary. Then to Wegmans for groceries.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Already gave the Vet an update on the cats. Good thing they both have an appointment tomorrow. I just need them to get through today without more issues:crossfingers:
Are they ok?? What is happening to them..
((hugs))

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The appointment is for their yearly check up. They probably knew about it and decided to make sure to get the most out if it. Leroy had a small flare up. Emma threw up dinner twice and pooped in the bath tub:cringe:

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. And wow I can't believe winter is coming up. You reminded me that I need to start looking into winter related house repairs/replacements very soon. I hope you can enjoy some down time this weekend.

Some of the books I read were comic books and Japanese manga, so that helped.
LTS3 LTS3
Aww your poor kitties. I will also hope they get through it without anymore issues. Hope your day goes well.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 -- sending gentle scritchins to your Leroy and Emma...:redheartpump:

Winchester Winchester -- i likely got 'lucky', that the recipe i found for the sourdough starter works really well. :D

today i've taken a phone call, and made a phone call. i'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, and move hot dog buns and some pork bbq to the fridge to thaw. i'll continue with some research.

after that, i'll watch some tv, and possibly play some computer games.

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Today:

1. I started breaking all of my magical number related ocd rules. Even the fact that I'm posting on the forum today contributes to this wild attempt to cure myself. Please wish me luck, forum pals. I'm really nervous.
  2. I did a little research for the art therapy app I'm creating.
  3. It's my free day, so I think I'll force myself to do some meal planning :p

Status
Not open for further replies.