Name three things - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
  • Breakfast for the kids, made the bed, did some general clean-up, Rick is scooping boxes
  • We're going down to bake cookies with our granddaughter today: gluten-free chocolate chip, gluten-free chocolate brownies for them. Then Sarah and I are making snickerdoodles and chocolate brownie cookies for us. I need to get in gear here and make the dough, then we'll put everything in the car and head out. Should be fun. I really like baking with her.
  • Rick's mother has decided she does not like the new Kindle Paperwhite that I bought her. She said last night that she thinks she'd rather have my Nook. It's heavier, larger, and she said that it feels more like a book to her. Now I don't know what to do with the Paperwhite: return it to Amazon or try to use it myself (since she's going to have my Nook). She asked me about using my iPad; that was a big no. Sorry, but no. I guess I'm being selfish, but I'd be lost without my iPad. So I have to remove all my stuff from the Nook and put her library information on it, then I can download some library e-books for her. We'll take it up to her on Sunday night. I hope she'll use it. And I really hope it doesn't "develop legs and walk away". I'm really worried about that. She knows she has to charge it; I told her to plug it in every night when she plugs in her cell phone. She reads about five hours a day (what else does a 96-year old have to do?), so it will need at least a nightly charge.
It was interesting. Rick's mom lost her library card. When I went into the library to try to get another card or at least get her card number, they didn't want to give it to me because she now lives outside the county because of being in the nursing home. Evidently, they don't loan e-books out of our county; she said that was library policy. I never knew that. I gave the librarian her old address (from their old house) and she confirmed that on her account. The librarian said, "OK, here's the deal. I won't change her address, so she'll still be listed as living in the county. And I'll give you her card number, so you can download books for her." She also gave me the library's tech person's card, so if I have any trouble trying to get things switched over, I can call him for help. Honestly, I could have kissed that woman! And I did give her a hug. And thanked her profusely. :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, that's what i thought -- Winchester Winchester ! and i had everything to make the harvest pork stew too! it turned out really excellent!! definitely 'a keeper', a recipe that i'll make every fall. and as i ate a bowl of it, there was much 'mmmmm', 'mmmm' - ing. :D

today i washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes. the wood stove has been kept going. and i have a batch of chunky cinnamon applesauce in the slow cooker -- it's finished cooking, just on (keep) warm now. i'll transfer it to a container, then into the fridge -- will be enjoying that for several days or so.

this afternoon i'll be making two batches of slow cooker cabbage roll casserole -- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe - Genius Kitchen. it has no rice in it, and that's perfect for my purpose. i'd rather cook a little rice to mix in it when i thaw each container of it. i'll make the first batch, then immediately after that first one is done i'll start the second batch. that will get two batches (out of the four that i'm planning) made. it's a very easy recipe, just layer the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it do it's thing. i'll also brown the extra half pound of ground chicken i'll have -- will be needed for the 4th batch of slow cooker cabbage roll casserole, but i'm not comfortable with that last bit staying uncooked for quite that long. i'll cool the ground chicken, then freeze it temporarily. i'll also move a pound of ground beef to the fridge to thaw -- will go with that extra half pound of ground chicken.

after that, i'll see if there are any dishes that need washing, then move the two containers of harvest pork stew (currently in the fridge) to the freezer. tomorrow i'll roast the turkey -- and it seems to be right on course for that with it's thawing.

hopefully i'll have some free time later in the afternoon, maybe watch a tv show.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Breakfast for the kids, made the bed, did some general clean-up, Rick is scooping boxes
  • We're going down to bake cookies with our granddaughter today: gluten-free chocolate chip, gluten-free chocolate brownies for them. Then Sarah and I are making snickerdoodles and chocolate brownie cookies for us. I need to get in gear here and make the dough, then we'll put everything in the car and head out. Should be fun. I really like baking with her.
  • Rick's mother has decided she does not like the new Kindle Paperwhite that I bought her. She said last night that she thinks she'd rather have my Nook. It's heavier, larger, and she said that it feels more like a book to her. Now I don't know what to do with the Paperwhite: return it to Amazon or try to use it myself (since she's going to have my Nook). She asked me about using my iPad; that was a big no. Sorry, but no. I guess I'm being selfish, but I'd be lost without my iPad. So I have to remove all my stuff from the Nook and put her library information on it, then I can download some library e-books for her. We'll take it up to her on Sunday night. I hope she'll use it. And I really hope it doesn't "develop legs and walk away". I'm really worried about that. She knows she has to charge it; I told her to plug it in every night when she plugs in her cell phone. She reads about five hours a day (what else does a 96-year old have to do?), so it will need at least a nightly charge.
It was interesting. Rick's mom lost her library card. When I went into the library to try to get another card or at least get her card number, they didn't want to give it to me because she now lives outside the county because of being in the nursing home. Evidently, they don't loan e-books out of our county; she said that was library policy. I never knew that. I gave the librarian her old address (from their old house) and she confirmed that on her account. The librarian said, "OK, here's the deal. I won't change her address, so she'll still be listed as living in the county. And I'll give you her card number, so you can download books for her." She also gave me the library's tech person's card, so if I have any trouble trying to get things switched over, I can call him for help. Honestly, I could have kissed that woman! And I did give her a hug. And thanked her profusely. :)
Why don't you return the paperwhite to Amazon and get her a Nook of her own?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it was a long day yesterday, so i decided to scoop the litter boxes a little early. so this evening, i finished dealing with the second batch of slow cooker cabbage roll casserole, then started a third batch. that's about halfway done now.

shortly, i'll move 3 containers of casserole to the upright freezer. then deal with that 3rd batch in the slow cooker.

later today, i'll roast the turkey, and boil the heart and liver (for my cats...:happycat:). after that, i'll move any containers of the casserole that are full and in the fridge, to the upright freezer. i have to wait until the ground beef is thawed to make the 4th batch of the casserole, which should be either tonight or by early afternoon on monday.

i'm hoping to have time between basting the turkey, to work on my budget for a bit. not for long, and just specific things. i've got a(nother) fever with a sore throat now. :sigh:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you return the paperwhite to Amazon and get her a Nook of her own?
Because Rick thinks that, when push comes to shove, she won't use it. She is absolutely one of the most stubborn people I've ever met. He is afraid that she won't use the Nook anyway, so why bother? At this point, I'm going to give her my Nook and, if she does use it, and if it turns out that she likes it, then I'll consider buying her a Nook. But for right now, Rick told me to let it go and see how she does.

micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I hope you feel better. :hugs:

We had a great time with our GD yesterday. Our GS was attending a birthday party for a classmate and our DIL had to work, so it was just our GD, Sarah, and her dad (our son) at home. DS, Sarah and I baked cookies, we set up her Christmas tree in the bedroom, and then our son called out for pizza. Sarah just loves to cook and she's even written her own cookbook: Chocolate and Peanut Butter: What's Not to Like? It has all of her favorite recipes that use both chocolate and peanut butter. She is ten years old, will be eleven in December. She also takes piano lessons. And she's desperately trying to talk her parents into a Tacky White Tree (not going well). Have I mentioned that I love this child?
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, stripped the bed down, and Rick sorted the laundry
  • Just put the second load of laundry into the washer
  • Rick and I are making the spritz cookies today. I'm also making faux Lofthouse cookies, a batch of sugar cookies, the cut-outs, and gingersnaps today. Sarah and I made the chocolate brownie cookies and the snickerdoodles yesterday. I have a vacation day on Wednesday to make anything else that comes our way.
  • We will be taking the Nook up to Rick's mom tonight. I downloaded Overdrive in her name with her card and have four books from the library for her. I also put five books on hold for her.
  • Outlander tonight on STARZ

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick is working OT this week to make up for having Thursday, Friday, and next Monday off as holidays. So I'm in Big Charge of walking The Beast and taking care of dinner for the kids this week. Neither of us really wanted to get out of the bed this morning; it was a busy weekend.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, some general clean-up in the kitchen, grabbed my shower
  • Didn't get the grocery list done over the weekend, so must do that sometime today as we'll grab some groceries tonight
  • Scoop the boxes
  • Lucifer tonight

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you, Winchester Winchester ! i was thinking about it today, and i've come to the conclusion that the reason i seem to be catching these bugs/colds/whatever's this year is likely that i'm going out running errands more often (out amongst the general mass of humanity during the cold/flu/virus season). that, and that i may very well have not been exposed to quite a few strains over the last 6 years -- since i had previously only been out shopping between once a month and once every two/three months. this current cold came on about 3 days after my last shopping trip and produce auction day -- out amongst the general mass of humanity again. i'm sure the cold will run it's course, and then i'll feel better! :D

today i'll wash the dishes, scoop the litter boxes, and take out the trash. it's forecast to get up to 55 degrees F here today! :sunshine: i'll also shred the remainder of the cabbage and grate some carrot -- for making coleslaw, which i'll complete tomorrow.

and that will have all the cabbage used, as well as the buttercup squash and the apples. the turkey has been roasted, and portioned and put in the freezer.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Last night was hectic. Rick's OT has really thrown a monkey wrench into things around the house. I got home, walked The Beast, fed the kids, scooped the boxes and til I was finished, Rick got home. Went for groceries, got home, and I had to take cookies to Rick's mom and her roommate at the nursing home. She was having some trouble getting used to the Nook, so I never got home under after 9:00 last night. Ate a quick bite for dinner and hit the bed. It was pretty much a constant motion once I left work.

Today will be more of the same. I'm glad I'm off work for the rest of the week after today.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, a bit of clean-up, grabbed my shower
  • Mailed off some bills and returned a library book on my way into work this morning
  • I have a planning commission meeting tonight and I think it will be a long one. Rick won't get home until later and I certainly won't get home until later. I hope The Beast can "hold it" until somebody gets home. She's pretty good about not peeing in the house, but she's not a youngster anymore.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Today is the first of a five-day weekend. I'll take it!

Rick's mom called me at work yesterday morning and when I answered my phone, she said, "Help, help, help." I started laughing. She was having some problems with the Nook, but we got it cleared up. She called me last night and said she finished her first library e-book and had started her second book! Kudos to Rick's mom! :clap: Oh, and after talking to a different person at the nursing home, it turns out that they do have WiFi and he gave me the password. Now I can go ahead and download e-books for Rick's mom without having to take the Nook home. That will be easier because she can look through the books herself and choose what she wants. Awesome! When I first heard that the home did not have WiFi, I found it a little hard to believe....older people like their laptops and such, too. This will make things easier. :clap2:
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, made the bed
  • Baking cookies today, baking the apple pie, and making cranberry relish for tomorrow
  • Laundry
  • Trash (I'll get it done this afternoon, so Rick doesn't have to deal with it tonight)
  • A quick vacuum about the house

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not much!!! :banana2: i've pretty much done everything. i do have several boxes that need storing away in the downstairs closet, but i want to reorganize that before putting those boxes in there. that's not a 'going to happen today' thing. i'll move a couple jars of milk to the fridge to thaw -- will be for that pudding pie that got delayed when that electrical issue happened. other than that, it'll be a nice quiet day together for the kitties and me!! :cloud9: i'll watch tv, maybe a movie, keep the wood stove going.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The Beast is at the kennel, so Rick hasn't gotten out of bed yet. I got up and gave the kids their breakfast this morning. Got my shower and am gulping down a mug of coffee.
  • Drive, drive, and drive
  • Hug the family! Play with the kids! Stuff ourselves!
  • Drive, drive, and drive
"See" you tonight!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a safe trip Winchester Winchester

Today will be a quiet day for us. I need to do some laundry. Yay. Tonight's dinner will be grilled ribeye steaks, mashed potatoes and salad. :yummy:

I found the cutest ornament for DD on Ebay last night. She's planning on moving out in July and I had to get her this as soon as I saw it. It reminded me of a certain fluffball I know..

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 , that ornament is such a beautiful likeness of your kitty! Excellent!

Maybe take Speedy for a walk in her new stroller! (I bought a cheap close-out stroller for pets, but it will be perfect for us)!
Tidy up (somewhat).
Read on my nook!
Hope to find a nice old movie on TV.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Kat0121 Kat0121 . Just got home, fed the kitty clan and am checking out the board. We had a great time! And we were blessed with beautiful sunny weather and not a lot of traffic.

That ornament is the splitting image of Sophie! Gosh, but she's gorgeous.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Kat0121 Kat0121 . Just got home, fed the kitty clan and am checking out the board. We had a great time! And we were blessed with beautiful sunny weather and not a lot of traffic.

That ornament is the splitting image of Sophie! Gosh, but she's gorgeous.

Thanks! She's my feline soul mate. :cloud9:

I was messing around on Ebay last night and wanted to get DD something from the kids. When I saw that ornament, I had to get it immediately. It's DD's gift from Sophie. The resemblance is uncanny.

Still need to do laundry and I should scoop the boxes tonight too..

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 , that ornament is simply gorgeous!!! :redheartpump: it's like when it was made, they used a photo of your Sophie! your girl has such lovely eyes, so large and round. similar to our DeeDee's eyes, that are large and round in her petite sized face.

today i washed the dishes, scooped the litter boxes. i've kept the wood stove going.

later, this afternoon, i'll finish making the pudding pie -- the graham cracker crust is already made, in the fridge. after that, i'll work with the budget for a while.

i'll likely watch a tv show or two, also.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I had to get it. It looks just like my little girl. :hearthrob:

I placed my order at Petsmart for pickup later. I get the doorbuster prices and can go whenever I want. :anticipation:

I got 4 pails of the Tidy Cats litter (you can't beat $8.99 on that one) and Friskies 32 pack. They normally get $14.99 but it's $12.79 when you pick it up in store. I got 2 of those- a poultry pate and a poultry variety pack. That should keep us for a while. That was the extent of my Black Friday shopping. I already have DD's Christmas done. :yess:

I need to go grocery shopping tonight. Yay.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We were at Petsmart, waiting in line around 6:00 for store opening at 7:00. Fourteen 35-pound pails of Tidy Cats and 100 cans of cat food. (I also ordered 10 pails of litter online and had it shipped to the store so that we could get it for $8.99.....that is an outstanding bargain and we couldn't just let it go. We won't run out of cat litter any time soon, but the cat food will only last us about 3-1/2 weeks.) We spent the time freezing to death and talking to some really nice cat people. Headed over to Target for some TV show DVDs. Out to breakfast, then to the mall to walk our breakfast off. Got home about 30 minutes ago; Rick is getting ready to nap on the couch.
  • Scoop the boxes
  • We're putting up the Tacky White Tree this afternoon
  • Must run to the bank and to Lowes (we're considering going back to PetSmart for more cat food, too)
  • Bring The Beast home late this afternoon

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tomorrow is Small Business Saturday:) Show support for your local businesses by doing your hoilday shopping with them:gift:

None of the stores I want to shop at tomorrow open until 10am or so :ohwell: I think I'll head out early anyways, stop by a local park for some meditative walking, then go shop. I definitely want to shop at a few stores in one particular area. My holiday shopping is done but I want to look for a wedding anniversary gift. I'm not sure if I want to trek all the way downtown to shop at the pop up village :think: It looks like 85 shops are set up this year.

On the way home I need to stop by the library :read:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i've got the dishes washed, the litter boxes scooped, and have kept the wood stove going. i've also worked a bit on the budget, continuing from yesterday's work on it. this afternoon, i'll re-pre-measure out for the bread machine bread batches. i may go ahead and 'do up' on paper next month's budget -- the 'standard' monthly deductions, get it started. i figure that there seems to be a more or less 'lull' (i'm quite sure this will be very temporary) in things needing doing, so i'll use it to get a little ahead.

after that, i hope to watch a tv show or a movie.

Winchester Winchester , if i remember correctly, you'd asked to let you know how things with the soda maker worked out. well, they're working out really good now. it took a little time and adjustments to get the carbonation and amount of flavoring to what i prefer, but i've got those where i want them now. so it's a really quick and easy process now, making a couple liters of soda. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.