Nails + refusing to use scratching post

gabriellalaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jade, my four year old cat, has a perfectly good scratching post in her home. I have listened to your guys advice and have been moving it around in case the problem was the original placement. It is made of wood - at her foster home she would always scratch the wood siding of her foster mom's door, so i opted for that material. I also attached a regular, cardboard scratcher with twine in case she preferred that.

Well, it's been a month and a half and she hasn't taken to it at all. She occasionally scratches my couch, but not often, and I think she only does that to get attention. Meanwhile, her nails have gotten so long, and I see her attempting to bite them off now.

I'm worried because I know it must be uncomfortable for her. What do you guys think I should do? I am thinking of purchasing one of those nail grinder tools for cats. Does anyone have any suggestions on tools to use?

But at the same time, I do want her to use her scratching post. Any suggestions to attract her to it? Should I purchase a post of a different materail, one similar to my couch?

I appreciate any help or advice!
Jade 1.jpg Jade 2.jpg Scratching post.jpg

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try different kinds of scratching posts, different cats like different material. I would try wrapping that post you posted in some rope, try sisal or jute, or maybe even both one half way up then the other. Also some cats prefer horizontal scratchers others vertical. You can also try interesting her in the post by rubbing or spraying a small amount of catnip on it or even hang a small toy she likes on it (feather toys tend to work well) so she bats at the toy and scratches the post at the same time.

Another thing, scratching posts don't wear down claws, they are used to sharpen them and remove the outer layer as they shed and grow as well as to help stretch muscles. You still need to clip your cat's nails, you can try the grinder but most of the time you need to train them for that as kittens the noise and vibration can be scary. I just use clippers, either my own human nail clippers or the scissor style cat ones.