Nail Trimming...nothing Works

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat hating getting her claws trimmed as well so what I did was put on a "cone of shame" (more to protect me really) then do the burrito wrap.
That's a really good idea...and one I haven't seen before! :clap2:

Sirmuffins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May l most respectfully inquire why you are all so keen on trimming their claws??? Why is it a must?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about you try to trim his nails when he's just laying around, unsuspecting? Sleeping, maybe.

As soon as he finds out you're clipping his nails give him a treat. Stop the excersize on a pleasant note. So if he starts acting distressed, stop what you're doing.

Right now he associates clipping his nails with this huge, dramatic, unpleasant ordeal at the vet and only very slow, patient reintroduction will change that association.

Also, please don't ever declaw him. You don't want to deal with the behavioral issues that may come from that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May l most respectfully inquire why you are all so keen on trimming their claws??? Why is it a must?
I try to trim the tips of Ruby's claws when they get very sharp. Otherwise, just her touching me with her paw can scratch my skin. And, especially in winter time when dry skin is an issue, the last thing you want are cat scratches.

Also, and I think it would be extreme cases, if a cat doesn't scratch down their claws and they keep growing, they can curl inside and dig into the cat's paws.

Here's an article on caring for cat claws: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to trim the tips of Ruby's claws when they get very sharp. Otherwise, just her touching me with her paw can scratch my skin. And, especially in winter time when dry skin is an issue, the last thing you want are cat scratches.
:yeah: It also keeps the furniture/rug shredding down to a minimum.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat hating getting her claws trimmed as well so what I did was put on a "cone of shame" (more to protect me really) then do the burrito wrap.
Agreed that this sounds like a great idea! It'll prevent Ashton from biting me! Now I just need to go get her a cone of shame...

How about you try to trim his nails when he's just laying around, unsuspecting? Sleeping, maybe.

As soon as he finds out you're clipping his nails give him a treat. Stop the excersize on a pleasant note. So if he starts acting distressed, stop what you're doing.
I'll try that next time. Sometimes my kitty reacts very quickly, she senses just a little bit of pressure and immediately goes in for the bite. By then I don't feel I should give her a treat because it would make her associate it with biting. I'll try to give it to her as soon as she shows some alert but before decides to take any action.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
- Scratching of furniture gets worse when their nails get long and sharp.
- When they play with your hands/feet (even when you avoid it, it occasionally happens) or swipe at you, you get scratched.
- Even when they are kneading on you it can be painful.