Nail Trimming a Skitish Cat, - TCS advice please!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

So my brother adopted a cat, she was super skittish when we got her, but it's been a couple weeks now and she is sweet as can be, a bit of a lapcat but doesn't like being picked up.

I've got my brother playing with her paws and she's OK with that, but she is not good with being restrained, however she desperately needs her claws trimmed!

I was thinking we would just tag team her, someone hold her wrapped in a towel while the other goes paw-paw getting them trimmed. I figured getting them all done at once would be best...... so the trauma is over quickly,

Anyone with any other ideas?? *my cats are really good about this so I've never had to worry

namu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If at all possible, I would wait to trim her nails. While you might be able to just scruff her and have done with it, it might impair the trust she has shown you in this short time. If it is an absolute must, maybe give her a little Rescue Remedy, and give her a few high value treats. While she is sitting on someone's lap, have them gently scruff her neck and then you can try one paw of nails to see how she does. If she freaks out, I wouldn't push it. Another option is to take her to the vet and have them do it.

Namu

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl hates that,i mean hates it. I have to take her to the vet,i can always hear her snag the carpet and worry abiout getting her paw stuck when im not here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Namu

If at all possible, I would wait to trim her nails. While you might be able to just scruff her and have done with it, it might impair the trust she has shown you in this short time. If it is an absolute must, maybe give her a little Rescue Remedy, and give her a few high value treats. While she is sitting on someone's lap, have them gently scruff her neck and then you can try one paw of nails to see how she does. If she freaks out, I wouldn't push it. Another option is to take her to the vet and have them do it.

Namu
This is what I'm worried about, however taking her to the vets would likely be worse, since she hates the carrier more then she hates being restrained and get's violently ill in the car. I'll just take it slow with her maybe, one paw at a time and see how she does. I had to pill her, and she hated it, fought me like crazy, but forgave me very quickly,.......

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ku Ku used to be like that, too. Been a loooong way to get to where we are now
She used to be a ferral queen, therefore, hated(she still does, to certain extent) literally anything that threatens her "freedom".
What I used to do was, to have one person hold her while I trimmed her nails but I eventually had to do it on my own.

I agree with Namu. You really should not use a force to do it to your kitty.
The best time to try that worked for Ku Ku was when she's in half-sleep mode. I believe this would work for your kitty, too.
The worst time is when she's in a playing mode - this is definitely the time you should avoid even trying.

When trimming, try 1 at a time to see how she'd react while talking to her in a really calm voice. If she lets you trim(even 1), then praise her a lot, maybe give her a little "treat". These days, Ku Ku still resists it a bit but at least she stopped getting violent when I picked her up while holding a nail-trimmer in my other hand. She knows she'd get a treat if she's being a good girl

You gotta be really patient, though - may take a real long time 'till she gets used to it, but I'm sure she'll eventually let you. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the response! she's only 2, so we have a loooooooooooong time to get her used to it, I'll def. take it slow!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With my semi feral s which one could call skittish
... I adapt them to me toughing the paws first and then usually clip one nail per session while talking ... I can now do both paws of Zoeys in one sitting ... Dahlia two is the ave .. today I got three and nearly threw a party

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One way I've found that really works for me is to kneel on the floor with the cat between my legs, facing forward. Another method is to put them on a table or counter, facing forward, kind of under my arm like a football (hard to explain sorry).

These methods work with Silka (evil cat) and Tabbs (former feral) so it should work with other cats, too. I live alone so I don't have any experience with tag-team methods.