Nail Chewing

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Disclaimer: I am taking my cats to the vet in a couple weeks for their annual checkup, and I will be asking about this, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with nail chewing in cats. I couldn't find anything when I searched the forums.

My one-year-old cat Ares has been chewing on his front claws, mainly on one paw, for about a month. I've looked at the claws several times, and he's chewed them down almost to the quick. The outer layers of nail sheath also look looser/more frayed than on his non-chewed claws or on his sister's claws. There's no smell, but the nails sometimes look a little yellow.

I'm wondering if this could be a fungus, if it's behavioral, or if there's something else going on. Any experience or ideas?

I'll try to get a photo later.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would say it sounds more to be fungal/bacterial in just that one paw - if it was behavioral, you would think he would be chewing on all paws. The outer layers of the nail sheath could appear looser/more frayed because he is constantly chewing on them so much. The discoloration of those particular nails would also point to something specifically wrong with that one paw. Are you sure there is nothing closer to the paw around the nails that looks irritated/infected?

It is possible that he could have injured that paw sometime ago and the chewing has now become a habit. It might also be somewhat irritated still and even using the litter box could bother him.

If it hasn't seemed to be getting any worse over the past month, and doesn't get worse in the coming days, I am guessing you are OK to wait until your scheduled vet visit. Hopefully, he doesn't go outside, as that could make whatever it is worse, or even cause further irritation.

You could also try brewing a chamomile tea bag (standard grocery store German version - not English - with no additives) in water, cooling the liquid, and dabbing it on the nails/nail beds/paw with cotton balls 2-3 times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's why I was thinking it was fungal too.

He's an indoor cat.

I have accidentally stepped on his paws a couple times (he's always around my feet), but he seemed fine immediately after, so I didn't think he was injured.

I've looked closely at both of his paws, and the only thing that seems off is the fraying and mild discoloration. Nothing else seems to be wrong.