Nadine Learning To Be Vocal And Her Kittens To Spit (3+ Weeks Old)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally, the best way is to bring them inside and keep them in one room and handle them. But if that is not an option, you will need to continue as you are doing. If you can, offer them some boiled chicken. Right now, they see you as a predator who wants to eat them. They are really adorable, just like Nadine!

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I have to socialize a stray/feral, I always try to pick them up at least once right away to see how much work I have to do with them. If they stand for it, great! If not........stinky food and wiggly cat toys (I often use random bits of hay to get their attention) with A LOT of patience is the way to go.

One year when I was out of work for most of the summer I socialized a mama chimera calico (Mama Cas) and her three kittens like that. The kittens were a tortie female (Maisey), an orange tabby male (Toby), and a longhaired blue eyed Siamese female (Elsa) who were born in our greenhouse. They eventually went to a friend but of all of them, Toby and Maisey were definitely the friendliest. I tried to make sure Mama Cas had enough food to feel like she didn't need to hunt for the babies as she only had one eye. We discovered the kittens when they were about 4 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CuteAndSillyCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all and thx for all the inputs.
I have decided I wanted to spay Nadine. I have some questions:
1- when can I do that? when the kittens are what age?
2- If I take the mother to be spayed, will the kittens be ok? I know they won't be nursing by that time, but won't they depend on their mother to hunt for them? I could still feed them, but not sure how this would work since they might not all be together to feed when I come or maybe some other adult cats would be around or they could be afraid to show up around me etc...

Thx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CuteAndSillyCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thx :)
I have got some opinions from other forums.. seems only and best way is to take them in, after they stop nursing (so that mama doesn't get pregnant again), wait until kittens are of age to get spayed/neutered, the return them.. unfo I can't take them in. I'll take 1 step at a time and see how things will develop :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! All beautiful! You’re doing great! Taking them in is truly the best way to work with them. If you pick up a baby and have a little Gerber all meat baby food on your finger, they might lick it! Get the 3nd food baby food and check the label to make sure it’s the meat only. They may be a little young yet but start trying. The more you do what you are doing, the less frightened they will be. Mom seems to have been someone’s kitty at some point. It looks like she is living in a parking area. When she jumped up in your trunk, I got concerned. She could easily get trapped in a car. Please try to get her and the babies now. Once the babies start running from you then your chance of getting then is greatly reduced. One other minor tip. It sounded like you were saying Shhhhh? That might seem similar to a hiss sound to them. If you try to imitate a mew or the trill sound of Mom they might be more receptive. Even talking softly to them. I think you are fantastic for feeding Mom and watching over them. I don’t know how you located those babies but Bravo! That must have taken some sleuthing! Please keep us updated. We all love watching the family. The video was great! Thank you for that and for all you are doing! I wish everyone would make that kind of effort! :clapcat:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she outside? If so, I'd have her spayed when the kittens are 4 or 5 weeks old. . .there is a small risk she'll stop nursing but at that age they should be OK, and if you wait much longer she'll get pregnant again (even at that point she may be pregnant but not too far along). If you can keep her completely inside then you can wait until the kittens are 8-10 weeks old or so, and all of them can get spayed/neutered together (if your clinic does it that young).

If you want to tame the kittens and find indoor homes for them, it would be best to remove them from the mother at 6 weeks. . .that's normally too young but if mama is wild she'll teach her babies that so they can't stay with her too long. You would want to keep them with their littermates until about 12-14 weeks though.

Nursing does not keep a cat from getting pregnant again.

If you want to keep tham as outdoor cats. . .well, it's risky, because there are just so many things that can happen to kittens out there. But in that case they should stay with their mother so she can teach them survival skills, and you can have them spayed/neutered when they're about 10 or 12 weeks old. They should be de-wormed and vaccinated around 6 weeks old.