N-J has hyperthyroidism ...

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...and has started to pee on the newspapers that surround the litter box but still poops in the box. She is 15. Is this senility? I have tried 5 different litters with the same result so I went back to her original litter. No difference.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure the inappropriate peeing necessarily has anything to do with senility, or hyperthyroidism for that matter. Have you had a urinalysis done on her urine? What does her blood work say, besides hyperthyroidism?

At 15, a urine check is warranted. If she is experiencing any pain when peeing, she will associate that with the box and not her body - which means she has no issues when pooping that would stop her from using the litter box for that.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good point and yes she already had the vet express some urine from her about a month ago with no negative results.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
How is her hyper-T being treated?

As mentioned, I would see about collecting some urine from her and having the vet test it again. Sometimes things can happen in a short time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She takes Methimazole gel rubbed into her ear. She has another appointment coming up at the end of this month.