Mystery solved!!!!!

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Someone suggested i read this thread.
What an incredible story.. The very mention of worms makes me uncomfortable, but kudos to the vet who solved the mystery. I'm glad Zander is on the mend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What an incredible story.. The very mention of worms makes me uncomfortable, but kudos to the vet who solved the mystery. I'm glad Zander is on the mend.
Thank you so much. I get the shivers at the thought of that being in her anyway. She is such a sweet baby and is quickly becoming very spoiled.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I know what you mean about worms.   I followed Zander's story from the beginning, but I had to scroll past the pic of the worm.  Just couldn't bring myself to look at it.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just read this thread from beginning to end and Wow!! Little Zander has one heck of an amazing story! :clap: Plus, she is absolutely adorable, especially that precious nose.:heart3: It gives her even more character, though it sounds like she naturally has an abundance of character, lol! :D Thank goodness she found you and your daughter, Kntrygrl256.
Are botsflies/wolf worms common in the US deep south? I thought they were a tropical parasite?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad you read it. Did it make you think that maybe something is blocking a nostril. That would make eating very difficult.

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Stewball  I've had suspicions about a polyp up there, but that can only be confirmed with an expensive rhinoscopy. Made me wonder if she didn't have a nasty roundworm up there, but she is now breathing quietly most of the day. I think it really is just nose goo. Besides, her nose is not swollen. But it's very possible she has either damage in there from all the sickies, or a polyp. Something else to worry about.

Last time i had cats was 20 years ago, and i was young and ignorant and kinda careless and i used to just let them be and feed them crap food (that i thought was decent). Apart from vaccines and neutering, i don't even remember taking them to the vet cause they were sick. They were all born in houses.  But i'm noticing outside kittens from feral cats are way more complicated! Sheesh...

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use tesco clumping litter. I used to get the expensive ones but they were dusty and l have eye infections nearly all the time so it was making me worse as as well. Someone told me about tescos and every thing she said was right,

Jilly

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't kow what kind of litter you use with Zander @kntrygrl256   but artijil does have a point with things like dust maybe not helping Zander.  If she has any allergies of anything, or sensitivity to dust in the air her not having both nostils clear could make it much harder for her.  It might also contribute to blocked noses and runny eyes.

I've always used clumping litter but only the low dust unscented ones since I've had Mouse.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Stewball
 I've had suspicions about a polyp up there, but that can only be confirmed with an expensive rhinoscopy. Made me wonder if she didn't have a nasty roundworm up there, but she is now breathing quietly most of the day. I think it really is just nose goo. Besides, her nose is not swollen. But it's very possible she has either damage in there from all the sickies, or a polyp. Something else to worry about.

Last time i had cats was 20 years ago, and i was young and ignorant and kinda careless and i used to just let them be and feed them crap food (that i thought was decent). Apart from vaccines and neutering, i don't even remember taking them to the vet cause they were sick. They were all born in houses.  But i'm noticing outside kittens from feral cats are way more complicated! Sheesh...
What sort of litter do you use? Low dust?

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think tesco have changed there clumping litter as you can't find a whisker of dust in it. I am baby sitting a BSH at the moment and l thought about Zander and how l react to things quick and this hasn't botherd me at all.It isn't scented l keep well away from anything scented .

It must be terrible for a little cat as my eyes itch terrible yet there sore at the same time, sometimes l feel as if i could scratch my eyes away and blocked nost as well. I have a lung problem so it doesn't help that.

Jilly

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think tesco have changed there clumping litter as you can't find a whisker of dust in it. I am baby sitting a BSH at the moment and l thought about Zander and how l react to things quick and this hasn't botherd me at all.It isn't scented l keep well away from anything scented .
It must be terrible for a little cat as my eyes itch terrible yet there sore at the same time, sometimes l feel as if i could scratch my eyes away and blocked nost as well. I have a lung problem so it doesn't help that.
   Jilly
Why don't you wear a sort of nurses mask when dealing with the litter?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't kow what kind of litter you use with Zander @kntrygrl256   but artijil does have a point with things like dust maybe not helping Zander.  If she has any allergies of anything, or sensitivity to dust in the air her not having both nostils clear could make it much harder for her.  It might also contribute to blocked noses and runny eyes.

I've always used clumping litter but only the low dust unscented ones since I've had Mouse.
I still use the Hartz from Walmart because it clumps very well and has little to no dust. I do notice her eye watering is the one on the same side as her damaged nostril so I'm really thinking that it's due to the damage. She has sneezing fits at times but usually after she has been playing hard.

We had a great weekend. She was in such a loving mood and wanted to cuddle. Her favorite spot is on my chest under my chin laying on my arms. If I move my arm she will grab it and hold on to it. She sat beside me on the couch yesterday and napped with me before I went to work. She will follow me around the house and as soon as I sit down she will jump in my lap.

She has found a favorite hiding place. In a reusable shopping bag I have hanging on a chair in the kitchen. She will then jump up at you when you walk past or sit down in the chair. I just love her.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@MServant  I use to have to use unscented and dust free when I had Raven (RIP) because he was very sensitive to dust and scents. I still use it because it works and I haven't had any problem with dust or odor from it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hartz sounds pretty good.  I don't think we have it in the UK but might take a look if I can't get Mouse's regular stuff.

What a nice, snuggly weekend you've had.  
    Nice one Zander - keep it up!   Glad to hear she's zooming about the place too.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

We had a great weekend. She was in such a loving mood and wanted to cuddle. Her favorite spot is on my chest under my chin laying on my arms. If I move my arm she will grab it and hold on to it. She sat beside me on the couch yesterday and napped with me before I went to work. She will follow me around the house and as soon as I sit down she will jump in my lap.

She has found a favorite hiding place. In a reusable shopping bag I have hanging on a chair in the kitchen. She will then jump up at you when you walk past or sit down in the chair. I just love her.
@kntrygrl256, what total trust from Zander, and if cats understand gratitude, then I reckon Zander is heaping it on you.  What a heart-warming update about gorgeous Zander.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@kntrygrl256, what total trust from Zander, and if cats understand gratitude, then I reckon Zander is heaping it on you.  What a heart-warming update about gorgeous Zander.

Thanks @Checkers. She is such a sweetheart. I couldn't find her this morning. When I got up to get ready for work she was nowhere to be found. I had no intentions of leaving the house until I found her (I ended up 30 minutes late for work, but oh well) I went to her room and checked all her hiding places. Called her over and over and she never came, I was on the verge of a panic attack when I heard a little squeak and turned around to her coming over her chair in the living room. I took a few minutes to cuddle before I had to leave for work just to let her know that I was ok she came out.

I can't believe how much this baby girl has taken over my emotions. She is the first thing I look for when I get up in the mornings, get home from work and the last thing I kiss goodnight when I go to bed.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Funny story:

Last night after I got home from work my BF was taking a shower and I kicked back in the recliner and went to sleep. She got on the head of the recliner and curled up at my neck sometime while I was sleeping. My BF walked into the living room and said "It looks like you have a sleeping buddy." I looked up and my head was resting on her as she was laying by me. I dozed back off and she never moved the whole time I was sleeping.

The BF finally woke me up to take a shower and I told Zander I had to get up and she stood up so I could go take a shower. She walked me to the bathroom and when she saw I was there she went in her room to wait for me. She don't like the noise from the shower.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Sounds like an adorable little kitty-shadow you have there @kntrygrl256.   Oh no, late for work... 
   Little monkey,  ​I hope she hasn't figured out that her hiding kept you back from going out or she might make a habit of it!  
   I can just imagine her peeking out from some fantastic little hideout while you search high and low, calling for her.  

Last edited: