Mystery solved!!!!!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My outside puppy has been barking at something under my back porch for the past few days. We have looked around and never did see anything. Thinking it was a snake or rat he had trapped. Oh no, my BF saw what it was yesterday and it is a little gray tabby kitten.  
  He said it was small and was hiding around some pallets we have stacked beside the porch.

I don't have a clue where it came from. I had 2 females and both were fixed. There aren't any close neighbors with cats, so the only thing we can think of is someone dropped it off; which is nothing new in the country. Anyway, I haven't seen it yet, and since I know what it is now I put some dry food behind the pallets so it can eat. There is water available.

I have had to work the past 2 nights and I'm off tonight and tomorrow night so I will be doing what I can to catch the baby and get it in the house before my puppy decides it is a toy. It looks like when I get home from my day job I will be sitting out on my back porch (after putting the puppy in the front yard) trying to persuade the little baby to come out.

I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. He / she must be either very smart or very lucky to have stayed away from the puppy and hidden from us for these past few days.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IT'S A BOY!!!!

I caught, understatement, the kitten and brought him in the house. He was sitting on a pallet that was leaned against the house. I put a can of food in front of him and he started eating. I petted his head with my finger, so not to scare him, and talked to him for a few minutes then easily picked him up and cuddled him to my chest and took him in the house.

He is so tiny. He's about the size of a 6 week old. He is eating good but very malnourished. I couldn't find any KMR at the grocery store but did get a can of goats milk to supplement him until I could get the KMR today.

He has taken up with my DD and she is taking care of him. I told her how often to feed him to make sure he don't over eat but make sure he gets enough. She named him Alexander (Xander for short). She said he needed a strong name and since he was alone outside of our house for at least 4 days. I still don't know how he got there except that someone must have put him out. I don't know how long he was actually at my house before my puppy found him.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give him a bath with regular Dawn dishwashing liquid.  It will kill the fleas he probably has.  As soon as you can, have him vet checked, too.  He most likely has worms as well.

Bless you for helping him.  His strong name is a good choice!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Give him a bath with regular Dawn dishwashing liquid.  It will kill the fleas he probably has.  As soon as you can, have him vet checked, too.  He most likely has worms as well.

Bless you for helping him.  His strong name is a good choice!
Yes he will be given a nice warm bath today. We didn't want to do it last night so not to stress him anymore.

I will be taking him to the vet next week. Since it's Friday and I have to work all weekend, I will call and schedule it for early next week. We had our yard sprayed for fleas a couple weeks ago so they shouldn't be too bad but I'm sure he has some hiding on him.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DD just called me with an update on Xander. He ate all his food and just finished using the litter box. He is still learning how to cover it up but he was trying. LOL

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks @Ondine. I have had cats my whole life, been nurse maid to more litters than I can count and hand raised even more babies. I have learned so much from this site. I can't wait to learn more. Thanks to everyone who helps those of us that need advise.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad news...

My DD just called and told me Xander just threw up a watery liquid and now won't eat. I don't want her to attempt to feed her using a syringe so I told her to keep putting the milk on her finger and rubbing it on his mouth.  I will try to get some of the milk in him using a syringe when I get home.

I won't be able to get online over the weekend since I only have access to a computer at work so I will update on Monday.

Please send well wishes and much needed good vibes for this little boy. He needs all he can get. My DD was about in tears when she called. Those of you who pray, please do so. He's been through so much already. I hope he wasn't outside without food and water for too long. 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on Xander!!!

When I got home he still wasn't eating. He was just laying down. I mix his milk and added a little vegetable oil just in case he was constipated and fed him with a syringe. He didn't take well to that, I got about 3 cc's down him and let him rest. When it was time for his next feeding I tried him with some egg (lightly scrambled) and his milk. I put a spoonful on a saucer and mixed some milk in and he ate it all.

About an hour after that I noticed him trying to eat the dogs dry food. I picked it up and put a little of the cats dry food on a saucer with some of him milk and he devoured it. He is using the litter box very well. I keep an eye on making sure he poops and pees. He is too small to climb in it but he will walk back and forth in front of it yelling for someone to put him in so he can use it. He does very well climbing out.

I now have a shorter one so he can get in it by himself. My DD is doing a great job taking care of him. I actually woke her up yesterday morning telling her to get up and feed her "baby" and let him go potty. Then if she wanted to lay back down she could but he is HER responsibility so SHE has to do the work.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a relief your little kit' has picked up again and is eating solid food well.  The ups and downs these little ones give us are heart stopping but worth it.  Love that you are giving your DD some parenting responsibility here. 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What a relief your little kit' has picked up again and is eating solid food well.  The ups and downs these little ones give us are heart stopping but worth it.  Love that you are giving your DD some parenting responsibility here. 
Yes she is doing a great job. She also took care of Luci when we rescued her.

Speaking of Luci....she is NOT happy about her "mom" having another baby in the house.

She won't even go in DD room. She stays on her table in the living room because she knows I don't really handle the kitten and will love on her every time I walk by. She's such a drama queen!!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such great news that Xander's doing better :clap: :D I love that your DD is so involved - such a great learning experience...and the bonding will feel extra special because he's so young. :heart3: