Eerie sound in St Louis has some of us Puzzled (animal or bird?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I was listening to youtube of dogs and wildlife that howls as someone is convinced that a pack of wolves live in her yard in an urban setting. haha Anyway our red fox family is back and I've been seeing him looking for food but never heard him. The red fox makes a bunch of different sounds but can vocalize making them sound like a banshee (remember that post a few months ago I made?). Anyway a fox can howl which is what I think this person heard.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard the red fox on cam so I didn't make the connection til I pulled up youtube yesterday. Usually our red fox sneaks in to eat and runs scared if he sees Tourmaline lol

And of course, leave it to me to have messed up this thread. Sorry all.

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to live in a rural place in the UK, and foxes can sound like children yelling bloody murder at times. It's slightly horrifying haha.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with a beagle so I assumed that foxes, wolves and coyotes all sounded the same as the beagle would. Anyway to anyone the wonders, no Wolves do not form packs in someone's backyard in the city, they do not lay around college campuses or grocery store parking lots. They also do not stalk humans as they try to get as far away from us as possible. This woman is still insisting a pack of wolves is in her tiny fenced in backyard.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of which, my Dad found "Bigfoots" costume in the woods while hiking one time. But yea a fox can sound like that, according to the sounds captured on YouTube. That makes more sense since we have a family of red foxes in the bushes in my back yard

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway to anyone the wonders, no Wolves do not form packs in someone's backyard in the city, they do not lay around college campuses or grocery store parking lots. They also do not stalk humans as they try to get as far away from us as possible. This woman is still insisting a pack of wolves is in her tiny fenced in backyard.
Coyotes maybe. Wolves are creatures of the forest and plains, but coyotes will live anywhere. Maybe she has a family living under her shed or something like that. They yip and yodel more than howl but they can howl too. At that close range it would probably sound pretty scary once they started going off!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Coyotes maybe. Wolves are creatures of the forest and plains, but coyotes will live anywhere. Maybe she has a family living under her shed or something like that. They yip and yodel more than howl but they can howl too. At that close range it would probably sound pretty scary once they started going off!
She said it wasn't a coyote. Said the it had a reddish color

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Coyotes commonly come in red tones, and not just the eastern coyote, which is considered a hybrid between wolves and coyotes.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Coyotes commonly come in red tones, and not just the eastern coyote, which is considered a hybrid between wolves and coyotes.
I understand that but she lives in my general area and we do have red foxes. I saw them with my own eyes. The coyotes here stay mainly in the parks. But that's neither her nor there, the banshee sound that I heard was the red fox which is the title of this thread.

Whatever it was it ran from a cat and the cat was just walking toward it. That is not coyote behavior. That is more red fox behavior. A coyote would have taken down the cat. The red foxes around here run when Tourmaline comes along and hide from Treasure.

This person really does not know the difference between a groundhog and a raccoon. The sounds I think are the red fox which was my post here. The woman is most likely seeing a few huskies. I doubt that a coyote, wolf or red fox would just lounge around in someones back yard and not either run or attack if someone goes outside.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that a coyote, wolf or red fox would just lounge around in someones back yard and not either run or attack if someone goes outside.
Eh. . .coyotes and foxes can both get pretty brave, especially in cities, where they know people won't shoot at them. And they almost never attack humans. I've seen pictures of urban coyotes and foxes just sitting calmly and letting people take pictures from 5 or 10 feet away. Kind of like urban feral cats, really. So could be either.

But yeah, people can be weird about wild animals, especially if they don't have a lot of animal experience. I'm sure every animal control officer has answered a call about a giant vicious beast and found a young possum looking confused, lol.

There are a bunch of Youtube recordings of fox sounds, some of them are really creepy!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh. . .coyotes and foxes can both get pretty brave, especially in cities, where they know people won't shoot at them. And they almost never attack humans. I've seen pictures of urban coyotes and foxes just sitting calmly and letting people take pictures from 5 or 10 feet away. Kind of like urban feral cats, really. So could be either.

But yeah, people can be weird about wild animals, especially if they don't have a lot of animal experience. I'm sure every animal control officer has answered a call about a giant vicious beast and found a young possum looking confused, lol.

There are a bunch of Youtube recordings of fox sounds, some of them are really creepy!
But a coyote would not run scared of a cat. Most cats are dinner for a coyote if the coyote feels like chasing a cat. What we have has been confirmed as a red fox, which is awesome. Yea that sound that morning I started this post was really creepy. I know it wasn't one of the bald eagles that is migrating into our part of the suburbs as I used to watch bald eagle cams until they all started killing each other and I just couldn't take it anymore.

Right I know someone who is scared that a possum is going to kill her feral cats because they hiss and bare their teeth. Although I have seen 2 possums fighting right out side my window (of course it's always right outside my bedroom window).