• Thread Starter Thread Starter

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We finally saw our vet today.
and.
ugh!
we might be looking at FIP. Might. I think we are. His kidneys are enlarged and his ALT number is still elevated. And there is fluid. Some.
He’s acting healthy and happy.
I can’t help but wonder if he contracted a coronavirus at the other vet and because he already had a weakened immune system he’s been fighting the FIP iteration. Because days after that first visit he had pretty goopy eyes. Then he had the unexpected bloodwork that wasn’t matching our expectations.
But I don’t know.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m really sorry to hear that your boy is unwell. Is your vet sure it’s FIP? Wet? FWIW there are medications out there that are effective treatment, though it costs an arm and a leg, so not something to do unless you’re certain.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m really sorry to hear that your boy is unwell. Is your vet sure it’s FIP? Wet? FWIW there are medications out there that are effective treatment, though it costs an arm and a leg, so not something to do unless you’re certain.
No we aren’t sure. But my vet, this vet, is very good. Yes we would be looking at the wet form. For now he’s acting fine. But we’re putting off vaccines and neutering still.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
No we aren’t sure. But my vet, this vet, is very good. Yes we would be looking at the wet form. For now he’s acting fine. But we’re putting off vaccines and neutering still.
Best of luck to the little guy. Hopefully it’s something else.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I need to go back over your entire thread, but from what I did look at I can't see this as being FIP. With the dry version, there is generally no fluid build up, and with the wet version, if there is fluid build up from it, it has reached a point that 'happy and healthy' are not in the equation. This has been going on long enough, it is possible he has permanent organ damage that needs to be treated to help him get along with what might be a life long condition. That fluid could be contributed to many situations other than FIP.

There are so many cats that contract coronavirus, and a very few percentage that have it mutate to FIP. Nothing about FIP is conclusive, but the one thing that can go a long way is a fluid draw for testing. I have long lost the most current testing data, but you might want to connect with a few groups who I think are on top of testing and related issues. One of them is: FIP Warriors.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need to go back over your entire thread, but from what I did look at I can't see this as being FIP. With the dry version, there is generally no fluid build up, and with the wet version, if there is fluid build up from it, it has reached a point that 'happy and healthy' are not in the equation. This has been going on long enough, it is possible he has permanent organ damage that needs to be treated to help him get along with what might be a life long condition. That fluid could be contributed to many situations other than FIP.

There are so many cats that contract coronavirus, and a very few percentage that have it mutate to FIP. Nothing about FIP is conclusive, but the one thing that can go a long way is a fluid draw for testing. I have long lost the most current testing data, but you might want to connect with a few groups who I think are on top of testing and related issues. One of them is: FIP Warriors.
yes I know it all seems so odd. That’s why I question the point he may of contracted the virus. That he got it when he was in my care. That this is a secondary issue to whatever I nursed him back from. One of the vets in this office has treated FIP with remdesevir.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, it is not odd that he might have contracted coronavirus, tbh. What is odd, is that he could have fluid build up from the wet version and still be pretty much thriving otherwise. It was a long time ago, and Tawny was 15yo, but once that fluid started to build, Tawny was lethargic and has zero interest in eating.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, it is not odd that he might have contracted coronavirus, tbh. What is odd, is that he could have fluid build up from the wet version and still be pretty much thriving otherwise. It was a long time ago, and Tawny was 15yo, but once that fluid started to build, Tawny was lethargic and has zero interest in eating.
The fluid showed up in an ultrasound. So it is not enough to physically notice yet. If his appetite changed I’d be intensely aware of it. This little man eats. It’s one of those things where if he came into my care now, as he is, would he even be getting these tests to know these things are going on?

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I spoke with the FIP Warriors and after reviewing his blood tests, no one thinks this is FIP.
We’re still in the land of mystery. Meanwhile Billy Ghost has been running the house for two hours. Demanding attention. Treats. Playing. Demanding food. Punishing me for not cleaning his litterbox soon enough. And so on.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully your little guy continues getting better, and this doesn’t end up being something overly serious. He’s extremely lucky to have ended up with you!

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lepto could always be a possibility, although it's less common in cats than in dogs. It does tend to involve kidney issues. You could definitely ask your vet about doing a PCR test for lepto. Keep in mind that it's extremely contagious, to other animals and to people, so it's best to be extremely careful handling your boy if you suspect it.

What symptoms does your kitty have now? Has your vet done repeat bloodwork since the one you posted on the previous page?

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lepto could always be a possibility, although it's less common in cats than in dogs. It does tend to involve kidney issues. You could definitely ask your vet about doing a PCR test for lepto. Keep in mind that it's extremely contagious, to other animals and to people, so it's best to be extremely careful handling your boy if you suspect it.

What symptoms does your kitty have now? Has your vet done repeat bloodwork since the one you posted on the previous page?
His ALT number continues to progress, enlarged kidneys and fluid.
The kidney numbers from two months ago went back to normal range.
Besides his initial symptoms when I found him: lethargic, weak, poor appetite, underweight, appeared dehydrated, sneezing, goopy eyes
He is now a pretty normal alert cat. Very smart. Playful with a great appetite. He keeps improving.

That’s why reading the material about leptospirosis, that it can just live in the liver or kidneys. Causes damage to those organs. In looking to see if there was a vector: rats and other wildlife in the Coachella valley can carry it. Said it can pass through urine, contaminated water, bites, eating prey, communal grooming, dogs in the household ... so the vector is there.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His ALT number continues to progress, enlarged kidneys and fluid.
The kidney numbers from two months ago went back to normal range.
Besides his initial symptoms when I found him: lethargic, weak, poor appetite, underweight, appeared dehydrated, sneezing, goopy eyes
He is now a pretty normal alert cat. Very smart. Playful with a great appetite. He keeps improving.

That’s why reading the material about leptospirosis, that it can just live in the liver or kidneys. Causes damage to those organs. In looking to see if there was a vector: rats and other wildlife in the Coachella valley can carry it. Said it can pass through urine, contaminated water, bites, eating prey, communal grooming, dogs in the household ... so the vector is there.
He was also really wanting tummy rubs. Which is unusual in cats. I thought it was a personality quirk. He no longer enjoys those so much and reacts as expected tooth and nail. The leptospirosis also lists stomach pain as a symptom....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
LA County PHD page does not specifically list cats at all. I wonder, and hope, if that is an indication of how rare it is.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would your vet consider consulting with some vet universities - they are trained on many unusual cases that sometimes vets never see their entire time while they are in practice.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wooooaaaaa
Some good news today!
Follow up at the vet. The fluid he saw is gone. His ALT has dropped 100 points.
Antibiotics! His morning eye boogers and atrocious smelling big soft feces have also cleared up. The vet also approved of me giving b-12 and milk thistle to support Billy Ghost’s liver.

Cleared to get him him neutered and vaxed