Mysterious open skin on feral kitten

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently brought a feral kitten from my job to my cat colony in my backyard, and she's been fine so far. I noticed an unusual shift of skin on the right side of her stomach and today i come and check on her and it turned into this open skin. Doesn't seem to be a wound
File_000.jpeg
File_001.jpeg

She's purring and still playful and is behaving all normal. I can't determine what it is. I hope it isn't a botfly thing that's developing :( any ideas on what it could be? I'll post updates, many thanks in advance :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not a usual location for a botfly larvae (cuterebra), but if it is, you will see a small hole and something moving inside it. It looks to me like something tore her fur off there. If it really concerns you, it would be best to take her to a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's not a usual location for a botfly larvae (cuterebra), but if it is, you will see a small hole and something moving inside it. It looks to me like something tore her fur off there. If it really concerns you, it would be best to take her to a vet.
I hope it doesn't become that, it was just bare skin when i saw it. I'll post update soon

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been spayed yet? I would have a vet take a look. She doesn't appear feral so maybe she is worth socializing and trying to find a home.
not yet, i plan on going to get her spayed in TNR program in May. She's real friendly to me if i approach her correctly but is afraid of others and loud noises. If this problem worsens i will try to get her to the vet. My parents won't approve of that but i'll do it anyway :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is suspiciously friendly, for a feral, in a very good way and I agree that if you can move on this it would be to your advantage. Even her picture is not true feral behavior, lying there looking at you with interest. I have ferals on my property that I have never seen in the light of day.

As for a bot, I have never seen one so cannot comment but if it were my cat I would try to get a vet appointment if possible.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
update: sorry i didn't know how to find this post somehow, but that open skin literally had fur come back to it the next day, i can still distinguish that spot from the rest of the fur, and she's still not spayed. I plan on taking her in 3-4 weeks :) once i get everyone spayed/neutered i will take every cat to a vet for a wellness check