Mysterious illness among 19 cats

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
So we currently have 19 cats in the house right now.

12 have free roam of most of the house, 3 are in one large room together, another 3 are in individual bedrooms, and 1 is in a bathroom and hallway.

Earlier this week, my boyfriend was very tired, and rather than feeding the usual wet food, he fed them dry food before bed. This is food I usually only give to our ferals. Our cats have had it as treats before, but never a full meal.

Throughout the week since, we’ve had problems. Many of the cats are not eating as much, including two cats who are bottomless pits.

Many of the cats are also throwing up. It’s not always possible for us to tell who, but we woke up to 5 different vomit piles this morning (and I went to bed at 2am and got up at 6am, so it happened during a relatively short time frame).

Two of the cats so far are off food entirely the past day or so. Those two, and one other one are also very slightly lethargic, but everyone else is acting normal otherwise.

Some cats seem perfectly fine on all accounts, as well.

We’ve been to the vet with 4 different cats this week, and everything has come back normal (bloodwork, urinalysis, even ultrasounds and X-rays).

We checked recalls on all food, and nothing out of the ordinary came up.

One of the cats that is slightly lethargic and barely eating (and he is our most food crazy cat in the house), was also not given the feral food to begin with since he has food allergies. We really thought it was the food, but this particular cat also becoming ill seems to refute that.

He is also in his own room and pretty separated from all other cats, so anything airborne would also be less likely. And be because we’ve been so busy being in and out of the vet (and trying to trap kittens and make shelters), we didn’t have much interaction with him either in the beginning of the week, so it would have been difficult for us to transfer any pathogens to him that way, either.

I just have no idea what to make of what is going on. We called the vet again, and they are stumped too, and told us to give it the weekend to see if things resolve (and obviously come in if anything concerning happens or symptoms worsen).

All cats are up to date on FVRCP.

The most recent foster has been here almost a month and was integrated with the 11 who have access to the common areas in the house a couple of weeks ago. These cats are very accustomed to cats coming in and out, and this was an extremely smooth transition - no fights, and just a few hisses. Everyone is pretty relaxed about it, but I’m mentioning it anyway since it is the only other recent change.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on, or suggestions to ask the vet about?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see many people have viewed your thread and no one has posted anything, so didn't want you to think no one is reading it. I've got nothing for you except sympathy :alright:. As you mentioned, it does't really sound like the dry food, since they didn't all receive it. unless it was the recipients who were the vomiters. And that would make sense if they weren't used to it. They may have simply eaten it too fast and regurgitated it. Does't explain though why they don't want to eat now though. As I said, I got nothin', but wanted you to know I read your thread.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I really don't have much to offer, but wondered if you had fecal samples taken/tested on any of the cats? Perhaps, ask the vet about performing a full fecal PCR panel, which will check for not only parasites but several bacterial/viral issues as well. You'd have to check with your vet about whether or not they accept samples that you bring in and if the full panel can be done on feces taken from a litter box. If not, then you would need to take a couple of the cats into the vet for them to obtain the necessary swabs for testing.

Back-to-back litter box cleanings, without washing hands in between, could have transmitted something to the cat who is isolated in the bathroom. Same thing for food/water changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I really don't have much to offer, but wondered if you had fecal samples taken/tested on any of the cats? Perhaps, ask the vet about performing a full fecal PCR panel, which will check for not only parasites but several bacterial/viral issues as well. You'd have to check with your vet about whether or not they accept samples that you bring in and if the full panel can be done on feces taken from a litter box. If not, then you would need to take a couple of the cats into the vet for them to obtain the necessary swabs for testing.

Back-to-back litter box cleanings, without washing hands in between, could have transmitted something to the cat who is isolated in the bathroom. Same thing for food/water changes.
Yep, we’ve had a full PCR on two of them, and got the results Thursday and Friday, and nothing.

The way we do litterboxes limits opportunity for transmission. It’s very broken up throughout the day and also split between us. Not impossible of course, though.

Also, maybe I wasn’t clear - the girl in the bathroom isn’t sick! One of the few who aren’t!

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
More cats have stopped eating and started vomiting :(

Of the 19 cats:

- 10 have vomited multiple times (there are some “unclaimed” puke spots, but we’ve witnessed 10 specific cats now)

- 11 are not eating or hardly eating (all but two of these have also vomited)

- 2 with behavioral changes (both are anorexic and have vomited)

- 1 likely had diarrhea (had to give him a butt washing earlier, and he’s never needed that before)

- 6 still seem perfectly healthy so far

It seems like every hour or two we are cleaning up vomit right now 😭

We talked to the vet today. She assumes it’s viral and hopes it’s just something akin to a stomach bug.

She told us to provide supportive therapy over the weekend. She wants us to give cerenia and Famotidine and feed EN (gastrointestinal prescription food) to the vomiting cats.

She mentioned she knows I can syringe feed and give subqs to keep them stable if necessary. She said to call Monday morning if there’s no improvement, and obviously go to the ER if anyone’s condition begins to decline.

They all seem pretty stable, though.

When they first start throwing up, they typically do it numerous times within a few hours (just bile), and that’s really unnerving.

One girl was particularly bad today. We were going to take her to the ER as soon as my boyfriend came back (he had the car), but her vomiting resolved and she perked back up completely.

After that initial episode, they seem done for the day, then throw up once or twice a little bit the next day.

I’m most worried about the girl that is hiding. But she has anxiety and always hides and goes off of food at the first indication of illness or stress.

She’s very alert and engaged whenever I go bug her though, so that’s a really good sign.

Hopefully the fact that no one is seriously declining is a good sign, and supportive therapy is all that’s needed to get them through it.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
What about the water? Could there be something wrong with the water they drink? If I’m not mistaken all the cats didn’t eat the same food, but they might be/are drinking the same water.
Definitely doesn’t hurt to try different water! We’ll try bottled water for a bit to see if it helps!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
So we currently have 19 cats in the house right now.

12 have free roam of most of the house, 3 are in one large room together, another 3 are in individual bedrooms, and 1 is in a bathroom and hallway.

Earlier this week, my boyfriend was very tired, and rather than feeding the usual wet food, he fed them dry food before bed. This is food I usually only give to our ferals. Our cats have had it as treats before, but never a full meal.

Throughout the week since, we’ve had problems. Many of the cats are not eating as much, including two cats who are bottomless pits.

Many of the cats are also throwing up. It’s not always possible for us to tell who, but we woke up to 5 different vomit piles this morning (and I went to bed at 2am and got up at 6am, so it happened during a relatively short time frame).

Two of the cats so far are off food entirely the past day or so. Those two, and one other one are also very slightly lethargic, but everyone else is acting normal otherwise.

Some cats seem perfectly fine on all accounts, as well.

We’ve been to the vet with 4 different cats this week, and everything has come back normal (bloodwork, urinalysis, even ultrasounds and X-rays).

We checked recalls on all food, and nothing out of the ordinary came up.

One of the cats that is slightly lethargic and barely eating (and he is our most food crazy cat in the house), was also not given the feral food to begin with since he has food allergies. We really thought it was the food, but this particular cat also becoming ill seems to refute that.

He is also in his own room and pretty separated from all other cats, so anything airborne would also be less likely. And be because we’ve been so busy being in and out of the vet (and trying to trap kittens and make shelters), we didn’t have much interaction with him either in the beginning of the week, so it would have been difficult for us to transfer any pathogens to him that way, either.

I just have no idea what to make of what is going on. We called the vet again, and they are stumped too, and told us to give it the weekend to see if things resolve (and obviously come in if anything concerning happens or symptoms worsen).

All cats are up to date on FVRCP.

The most recent foster has been here almost a month and was integrated with the 11 who have access to the common areas in the house a couple of weeks ago. These cats are very accustomed to cats coming in and out, and this was an extremely smooth transition - no fights, and just a few hisses. Everyone is pretty relaxed about it, but I’m mentioning it anyway since it is the only other recent change.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on, or suggestions to ask the vet about?
WOW! You have your hands full I hope it is something as simple as the water. Any chance There is something in your home that you might just not be fully aware of? In this day and age I immediately thought of COVID but we all know that is iffy. I hope all the kitties recover.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild I am so sorry that I missed this thread. I was off TSC for 2 weeks due to some difficult problems I needed to get a handle on.

Could you give us an update on these colony cats? I hope they all pulled through. When I read you initially post, Feline Distemper did cross my mind. I know of a colony caretaker who had only a few cats tnred. Most of the colony got sick, stopped eating and was vomiting all over. She worked tirelessly to get them back to health. She gave them special food and put Pedialyte in their water. After 4 or so days they improved and within in a week they were back to normal. There were no young kittens in the colony at the time--TG!!! Everyone in the colony got tnred not too long after that.

As someone else mentioned on your thread this could be a bacterial infection. It could be also be possible that they got a hold of something toxic.

I hope that all the kitties in your colony are okay. Boy, it can be very stressful being a cat feeder. I am worry over the cats I feed as well. I wish I really could take some of them in.😔

Well, I hope everything is okay. Have a goodnite.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
moxiewild moxiewild I am so sorry that I missed this thread. I was off TSC for 2 weeks due to some difficult problems I needed to get a handle on.

Could you give us an update on these colony cats? I hope they all pulled through. When I read you initially post, Feline Distemper did cross my mind. I know of a colony caretaker who had only a few cats tnred. Most of the colony got sick, stopped eating and was vomiting all over. She worked tirelessly to get them back to health. She gave them special food and put Pedialyte in their water. After 4 or so days they improved and within in a week they were back to normal. There were no young kittens in the colony at the time--TG!!! Everyone in the colony got tnred not too long after that.

As someone else mentioned on your thread this could be a bacterial infection. It could be also be possible that they got a hold of something toxic.

I hope that all the kitties in your colony are okay. Boy, it can be very stressful being a cat feeder. I am worry over the cats I feed as well. I wish I really could take some of them in.😔

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, moxiewild moxiewild I've been thinking about your and this situation. If you can we'd love an update.