Mysterious (and sort of Heroic) Returning Cat

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat behavior question for all the experts here: about 6 weeks ago, a semi-feral cat showed up in our yard. She stayed for a number of days, and finally, when a big snowstorm was on the way, we trapped her and brought her inside. When we took her to the vet, it turns out that she had a chip. She belongs to a neighbor (we live in a rural area) a couple of miles away, and was a 'working cat' in their barn until she went missing about 3 months prior. I contacted the owner and she seemed happy to have her cat back -- she thought she had been eaten by wild animals, of which there are many around here. So -- then a few days later the owner called and asked if we had possibly seen her cat. Apparently, she immediately ran away as they got out of the car, and that was the last the owner saw of her. We had not seen her.
Last week, this very same cat showed up once again. This is at least a couple of miles from her home, across rural land. She got back here again somehow, and she's now once again under our deck. I am going to ask the owner if we can keep her this time, as she has earned a spot in our house (and we have 4 other cats, believe it or not.) Anyway, what in the world would cause a cat to do this? Make a long trip like this-- twice?? Do you think she is just randomly wandering? It seems so unlikely that she'd end up under our porch again.... it's just crazy. I'd appreciate your insights, as this seems just beyond amazing to me, especially given the dangers of coyotes, mountain lions, owls, bobcats, and who knows what else around here. Thanks for your thoughts!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no insight as I'm fairly new to the cat world myself, but I'm looking forward to reading the responses. What a special cat! Thank you so much for being willing to assume care for this girl, and welcome to the forum!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be trying to avoid risks at her present location or going to the edges of her territory but I’m more inclined to feel she has chosen you. Cats are very good at finding the places they want to be and the people with whom they prefer to bond. If she was a barn cat then things might have been more difficult as far as survival for her there. Any predator, other cat or even a human may have made her seek out a safer place to stay. Leaving that distance from home once is one not unheard of but returning really makes me feel she has some need driving her there. I hope the owner will allow you to keep her. Being an indoor kitty should be viewed as a better life for her if that is your intention for her. I really hope they will agree since wandering that far again is extremely dangerous for her. I don’t know the rules in your county but a wandering Barn cat here can be viewed as a stray if it travels far from home and the question of a proper place for her could be addressed. You’d have to check local ordinances though. I do think that running out of the car could be expected. Personally, I would have been prepared for that with my kitties and made sure they were not frightened before releasing them. I don’t know if the owner has love for her or if this cat is considered “just a rat catcher” , I hope the owner won’t mind if you adopt. It sounds like you already have feelings for her. Good luck to you all! Please let us know how it all works out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they say where they got her? How long have you lived at your current address? I wonder if she used to live there, or nearby at least.
Yes, they got her at a rescue organization in another town, so not close to here. We'e lived here for over 10 years, so I don't know how she could be familiar with this area. One thing, though - they said she was adopted with a brother, who later died... before she ran away. i don't know the circumstances of that. I wonder if that's a factor... ?

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She could be trying to avoid risks at her present location or going to the edges of her territory but I’m more inclined to feel she has chosen you. Cats are very good at finding the places they want to be and the people with whom they prefer to bond. If she was a barn cat then things might have been more difficult as far as survival for her there. Any predator, other cat or even a human may have made her seek out a safer place to stay. Leaving that distance from home once is one not unheard of but returning really makes me feel she has some need driving her there. I hope the owner will allow you to keep her. Being an indoor kitty should be viewed as a better life for her if that is your intention for her. I really hope they will agree since wandering that far again is extremely dangerous for her. I don’t know the rules in your county but a wandering Barn cat here can be viewed as a stray if it travels far from home and the question of a proper place for her could be addressed. You’d have to check local ordinances though. I do think that running out of the car could be expected. Personally, I would have been prepared for that with my kitties and made sure they were not frightened before releasing them. I don’t know if the owner has love for her or if this cat is considered “just a rat catcher” , I hope the owner won’t mind if you adopt. It sounds like you already have feelings for her. Good luck to you all! Please let us know how it all works out.
Thanks for the great answer! We are hoping to keep her inside, so she'll be safe. It is definitely not safe for kitties outside around here. It's truly amazing she made it this far. We trapped her again and she's now in a room in our basement, safe and sound. I am going to take her to the vet (again) tomorrow, so will get the owners number (again - I didn't keep it!) and give her a call... This time, she'll get the full check up, shots, the works, and will hopefully be an inside kitty from now on! I'll let you know how it turns out. I think what you say makes a lot of sense.... there must be something driving her back here as she could have gone any direction, and there are plenty of houses closer to her home than ours. It's very strange -- but now she's definitely earned a place inside!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad you have her. Her brother died? Maybe the vet could clue you in about that. I seriously hope the owner will realize the cat needs to be where she feels safe and that isn’t where she was previously if she struggled to return to you. Poor kitty. She must feel pretty secure now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That's certainly a Disney movie. I do agree with everything that has been said; I believe she has chosen you, feels unsafe where she is, lost her companion (how?), and sees your place as a refuge. Can you offer some compensation to the owner in exchange for being allowed to keep her if they balk at giving her up?

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's certainly a Disney movie. I do agree with everything that has been said; I believe she has chosen you, feels unsafe where she is, lost her companion (how?), and sees your place as a refuge. Can you offer some compensation to the owner in exchange for being allowed to keep her if they balk at giving her up?
Thanks- that is a great suggestion. I will see how the call with the owner goes and will make her an offer if there’s any problem. We will see how it all goes tomorrow— I will let you all know what happens!! Thanks so much! BTW, right now she is hiding under a blanket in her new ‘room’ — but eating VERY well and using her litter box perfectly. 😊

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the owner understands that the cat needs care that she cannot provide or is not inclined to provide, that may tip things in your direction. That worked for me once in a similar situation. But if you even offered enough for her to get a replacement, although she does not sound like the best owner, that should be enough.

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the great ideas! Here's the latest update: We took the cat (her name is Caroline) to the vet yesterday and got her checked out completely, shots done, dewormer, etc. She's basically healthy, fortunately, although a little bit raggedy, very underweight and has worms/tapeworms. She's so tiny -- just bones and fur. Our vet thinks she's about 2 years old based on the dental exam. Anyway, she's back home and in her room relaxing on her perch! Not hiding under the blanket. :)
I got the owner's number again and called her today. (I had all your ideas listed, in case they were needed depending on how the conversation went!) I let her know that Caroline came back, and the owner seemed glad she's ok. She said that Caroline obviously doesn't want to be there, and would rather be here. She's made her wishes known, so the owner is ok with us keeping her. She did ask if she might be able to come by and visit occasionally, and if I would update her every so often just to let her know how Caroline is doing. I will do that, of course!
This seems like the best possible outcome-- Jcatbird, you were exactly right! Thanks to all for your suggestions and support. I'll take a picture of Caroline in her new home and add to my next post! :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New friends brought together by Caroline! :woo::banana1::bunnydance::celebrate: This is the best news! Thank you for all you are doing for Caroline. I’m so happy that it all worked out so purrfectly!:) I can’t even express how happy I was to read that Caroline really did have a caring human and that they care enough to let her live with the family she chose. Wow! The best possible scenario! I know Caroline is in a much better place now. I hope you’ll keep us updated on the whole story.
Yes. Photo please! :redheartpump:

amjswj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a picture of Caroline in her new home!
This morning I went out to get the paper, and a huge owl flew over our yard at roof level - right over the spot Caroline had been staying. Thank goodness she's safely in the house! Not a minute too soon!
Caroline4.jpg
Caroline5.jpg
Caroline5.jpg
Caroline5.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s beautiful! Sweet Caroline! Her fur looks like it might be kind of fluffy. Thank goodness you got her in time. I had a problem with owls and hawks here. I’m sure she knew that owl was around. She doesn’t have to be scared anymore! Thank you so much for saving her life. I know she’s very grateful to have a family now. Rescues have a lot of love to give. Bravo to you for going through what it took to help her. Sending you all lots of happy purrs!