My youngest ran away, how do I get him back?

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We rescued a kitten about a year ago. He has been with us since and my wife and he are both very fond of each other. Yesterday evening, the outer door to my apt was unlocked and I did not realize that. When my eldest boy wanted to sit by the door, I opened the inside door and let him sit there. He does that. A few minutes later I came to check on him and he had gone out and the youngest one followed him. Fortunately, the eldest came back but the youngest got away.

We found him a few times when we went looking for him but he is running away from us. Can't really understand this behavior. We tried luring him back with food but that has not worked. On top of it, it's been raining so I'm really worried for him. Any ideas on how to get him back?

Last edited:

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going through pretty much the same thing right now. Im sorry I cant offer advice but let me say. I am so sorry and I love you and your family right now and I hope things turn out well.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There seems to be a lot of this going on lately. You are not alone. I had one do the same thing on March but eventually I did get her back inside. It takes time, patience and persistence. Try using especially strong smelling foods like slightly warm Getber 2nd foods all meat baby food , tuna canned in water or even some KEnticky Fried Chicken. Try shaking the cat food bag if they eat dry food, a treat container if they eat cat trays or popping the lid of a can of food where kitty can hear it. I put up some tarps as temporary shelters and feeding stations since we had rain too. She did eat there. Using a flashlight at night can cause their eyes to really reflect do you see them in the darkest places. Putting things that carry your scent, the kittys scent or even the scent of your other cat where kitty can smell it and come closer can help. The litter box (uncleared) can help lead kitty back too. I also used dried catnip and fresh as a lure. A cat trap may be needed. You can usually borrow one from animal control or shelters or rescuers but you can also purchase them online or from almost any hardware or farm supply store. Go out early in the morning and Kate at night to call kitty. Kitty is probably scared right now but when all the world is quiet, cats are more likely to venture to you. I left a window open slightly where she could get in but the room was closed off so no other cat could get out. I had food just inside for her. Cats are masters at surviving and hiding. If anyone near you feeds any pets, your cat may be visiting there. Look under everything! Tiny spaces are favorites. Look high too! Trees and roof tops. Culverts, and cave like openings, outbuildings and neighbors garages are all places a cat might hide away. Don’t give up, it takes time for their adventure to end and for them to be brave enough to cross over open spaces to return. Just keep being their and showing your presence.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!!! I'm so sorry! I know your pain all too well. My cat got let out of my house over two weeks ago, but she hasn't disappeared completely, she is still close. It's just a matter of us catching her by either trapping her in a live trap or cornering her. I'm hoping she will just go into a trap because she's hungry. I really don't need a feud started with the neighbor because I want to check under one of his sheds for her. And my poor husband is getting poison Ivy because our privacy fence is covered in it on his side and he won't clean it up. Just keep looking and calling his name. I wasn't able to catch my cat right away because no one told me the door was left open. I have no idea how long she had been outside before I realized she was out.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you put her cat carrier on the passenger seat of your car?
Then if you can pick her up again, possibly you can get her into the carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going through pretty much the same thing right now. Im sorry I cant offer advice but let me say. I am so sorry and I love you and your family right now and I hope things turn out well.
Thank you! This is very upsetting for me and especially my wife because she really adores him! I hope you find yours soon too.

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There seems to be a lot of this going on lately. You are not alone. I had one do the same thing on March but eventually I did get her back inside. It takes time, patience and persistence. Try using especially strong smelling foods like slightly warm Getber 2nd foods all meat baby food , tuna canned in water or even some KEnticky Fried Chicken. Try shaking the cat food bag if they eat dry food, a treat container if they eat cat trays or popping the lid of a can of food where kitty can hear it. I put up some tarps as temporary shelters and feeding stations since we had rain too. She did eat there. Using a flashlight at night can cause their eyes to really reflect do you see them in the darkest places. Putting things that carry your scent, the kittys scent or even the scent of your other cat where kitty can smell it and come closer can help. The litter box (uncleared) can help lead kitty back too. I also used dried catnip and fresh as a lure. A cat trap may be needed. You can usually borrow one from animal control or shelters or rescuers but you can also purchase them online or from almost any hardware or farm supply store. Go out early in the morning and Kate at night to call kitty. Kitty is probably scared right now but when all the world is quiet, cats are more likely to venture to you. I left a window open slightly where she could get in but the room was closed off so no other cat could get out. I had food just inside for her. Cats are masters at surviving and hiding. If anyone near you feeds any pets, your cat may be visiting there. Look under everything! Tiny spaces are favorites. Look high too! Trees and roof tops. Culverts, and cave like openings, outbuildings and neighbors garages are all places a cat might hide away. Don’t give up, it takes time for their adventure to end and for them to be brave enough to cross over open spaces to return. Just keep being their and showing your presence.
Thank you. Those are helpful tactics. I'm however not in the US and here we do not really use TNR kind of traps. We are in an apt (2nd floor) and even though it is possible for him to climb into the apt, I'm unsure if he knows that that is an option. For now we've kept one of my wife's tees in the car with a sleeve hanging out. Hopefully that would assure him that this is a familiar place. I'm really puzzled about why he would run away even after seeing us. The flashlight is how we found him the first time.

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh!!! I'm so sorry! I know your pain all too well. My cat got let out of my house over two weeks ago, but she hasn't disappeared completely, she is still close. It's just a matter of us catching her by either trapping her in a live trap or cornering her. I'm hoping she will just go into a trap because she's hungry. I really don't need a feud started with the neighbor because I want to check under one of his sheds for her. And my poor husband is getting poison Ivy because our privacy fence is covered in it on his side and he won't clean it up. Just keep looking and calling his name. I wasn't able to catch my cat right away because no one told me the door was left open. I have no idea how long she had been outside before I realized she was out.
I hope you find her soon!

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you put her cat carrier on the passenger seat of your car?
Then if you can pick her up again, possibly you can get her into the carrier.
That is a good idea. Maybe I can leave the rear passenger window open but then again there is a possibility that other strays might climb in.

OwnedByScout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A tragic update: we found his body today morning 😔 we took him to the vet before we cremated him and he is of the opinion he may have ingested something that caused poisoning. He is not lost anymore 😞

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A tragic update: we found his body today morning 😔 we took him to the vet before we cremated him and he is of the opinion he may have ingested something that caused poisoning. He is not lost anymore 😞
I’m so sorry to hear that! My deepest condolences to you 💔😔