My Younger Kitten Isn't A Big Fan Of Raw Food

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, hope y'all doing fabulous,

I've had Max (3-4 months old) for like 2 months now, he was 2 months old back then
I recently began to notice he doesn't eat the raw food as he supposed to, unlike my old kitten Tiger,
I had to throw away a lot of food that I paid for xd
recently I started to measure exactly how much they eat in their 3 meals daily, for Max I give him only 25 gram, although it's too little he never eats it all, and ever since I've had him I only feed raw except for dry food occasionally, but when I gave him dry food he insanely quickly eats it

on the other hand, I planned to feed dry food at the midday meal because the cost was too much for me until Tiger got his hip broken, then I figured he'd need the added nutrition in the raw recipe, so I suspended the economic procedure lol.

so far any suggestions are welcomed regardless of the following questions!
I thought feeding Max dry food most of the time will solve the money thing, but won't be the healthiest,
what you think guys?
keep in mind that he's been eating raw food for two months but hasn't liked it yet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply yet.
However you accomplish it, kittens must eat as much as they will consume, in other words A LOT, to fuel all the growth that's going on.
What about some commercial canned, plus kibble. There's Royal Canin Babycat, you could try that.
Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply yet.
However you accomplish it, kittens must eat as much as they will consume, in other words A LOT, to fuel all the growth that's going on.
What about some commercial canned, plus kibble. There's Royal Canin Babycat, you could try that.
Hang in there!
I have Royal Canin kibble, that's the one Max is crazy about.

The problem with commercial canned food that it is made to make it super tempting for cats with a strong scent, I think this will lead Max to stop eating raw food completely, since it's not as delicious nor having as an appealing scent

I was feeding canned before converting to raw -for another kitten-, I'd been through hard time to convince my cat to even try the raw food, I had to mix commercial canned food with raw for 2 weeks so he eats it and it worked out very well

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have Royal Canin kibble, that's the one Max is crazy about.

The problem with commercial canned food that it is made to make it super tempting for cats with a strong scent, I think this will lead Max to stop eating raw food completely, since it's not as delicious nor having as an appealing scent

I was feeding canned before converting to raw -for another kitten-, I'd been through hard time to convince my cat to even try the raw food, I had to mix commercial canned food with raw for 2 weeks so he eats it and it worked out very well
You could try mixing in the raw with some wet food for flavoring. Maybe he can't smell it and that's why he's wary to eat it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - well, like I mentioned, whatever you have to do, but it would be really nice if you can get some wet food into them :)

Also, keep in mind, there are some cats who just never do go for raw.

My point is, now is not the time to try and force the issue - the very most important thing is that they eat as much as they can consume every day. Royal Canin babycat canned will help them, and later you can use it or another wet food to convince them about raw. But, they gotta eat :popcorn:

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try those ideas tonight or tomorrow,
thank you guys so much

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes getting my cat to eat her raw requires bribery. A small pinch of dry sprinkled on top (which she doesn't eat once it gets soggy, she just insists it be there for whatever reason :dunno:), and no additional dry until she cleans her bowl (minus the 5 pieces of soggy kibble). I think it's a bit ridiculous but it's what she wants, and I can't have her going off food at her age. It may be worth a shot to get your little guy more interested:goodluck:

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes getting my cat to eat her raw requires bribery. A small pinch of dry sprinkled on top (which she doesn't eat once it gets soggy, she just insists it be there for whatever reason :dunno:), and no additional dry until she cleans her bowl (minus the 5 pieces of soggy kibble). I think it's a bit ridiculous but it's what she wants, and I can't have her going off food at her age. It may be worth a shot to get your little guy more interested:goodluck:
yeah, turned out he must have what he wants so he eats what I want,
I gave him little kibble on top of his food on last meal and ate it all

thank u guys
I think problem is solved