My young male cat is trying to mate with my arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a 6 month old Himilayan. I've not had him neutered because we plan to mate him with my daugther's Persian when he's older. But the last several weeks, instead of lying peacefully in my lap as before, he stradles my arm and tries to hold on to the skin on my hand as if it were the neck of a female. When I toss him off, he yowls loudly. I've had cats before but never seen this behavior. I feel like I have a sexed-up teenager living in my house.
Other than tossing him in a cold shower, how can I stop this?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really the best thing would be to have this guy neutered. There are so many kittens in the world, why add to them? Unless you are going to be (or are a breeder) and know what you are doing , and that you are advancing the line in a positive way, neutering him only makes good sense. If he is straddling your arm, it won't be to long before he starts spraying. A full-on male cat pee is pretty potent. I really urge you to get him neutered, he is of age now that he can be safely neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's not a helpful reply. As I stated, he is supposed to be a breeder so being neutered rather disipates his purpose in life. As far as too many kittens, it took me 8 months to find him.

I was hoping for some information on how to change his behavior, not his gender.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that most breeder having a separate room just for the male (stud ?)for them . When they come in to the sex stage like your cat is now , thats where they go . That means you will have to spent also time with him in that room , toys scratch tree ect. ect in there . Hopefully a big window for him to enjoy himself watching the birds . Sorry there is not much you can do about that . Don'd toss him in the shower , your cat has no clue why you do that . He is only doing what is natural comming in a cats life .

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the fact that this is a cat welfare board, and I do rescue work and being an advocate for spaying and neutering, I had to at least try.

He is basically coming into his own sexually. I wouldn't *toss him off* just remove your arm gently from him and put him down on the ground. I wouldn't lose my cool with him (if in fact you are).

You can try spraying your arm with bitter apple to stop him from being attracted to it.

I really hope you will reconsider breeding him. Or at the very least only breed him one time and then neuter him. The same with the female, let her have one litter and suggest she get spayed. That is being a responsible pet owner. As stated above, there are so many kittens out there, why add to them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I just wanted to know if this was normal since no male cat I've ever had did this. I read that Siamese are oversexed so I guess he got that gene.

debgcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my kitten was 6 months, old he did this to me also. Once he was neutered, it stopped.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about this since my two guys I have now are the first boy kitties I've ever had & they are already neutered, but did you try asking on the breeders forums? Perhaps people there may have more experience with this type of behavior.

cinnamoroll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW I thought my cat is the only one who did that !! yesterday my cat did the same to on my arm.,..eeeww .. I really wanted to beat him badly but I felt pity. hmm!!! his age is near 6 month too... well I hope someone will explain this annoying and weird habit of my cat

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

yesterday my cat did the same to on my arm.,..eeeww .. I really wanted to beat him badly 
You should reconsider having pets and perhaps taking up anger management classes. Physical abuse is never the way to treat another living being. If your cat isn't fixed, s/he is more likely to display this behavior.

Sliver Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a 6 month old Himilayan. I've not had him neutered because we plan to mate him with my daugther's Persian when he's older. But the last several weeks, instead of lying peacefully in my lap as before, he stradles my arm and tries to hold on to the skin on my hand as if it were the neck of a female. When I toss him off, he yowls loudly. I've had cats before but never seen this behavior. I feel like I have a sexed-up teenager living in my house.
Other than tossing him in a cold shower, how can I stop this?
I'm currently having the same problem ;). At first I thought my cat was sick but then I realized what he was actually doing...

emsy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old neutered male is also doing this more and more regularly and exactly as mentioned above. When I am lying down he comes and starts humping my arm and gets more and more violent. I have to gently remove him but he protests very loudly. One vet said he's not trying to hump my arm but rather rub his willy. But I know cat humping when I see it. I just don't know how to offer some relief for the poor (apart from the obvious and I AM NOT doing that thank you very much!). What else can be done?

He was neutered late as he was rescued from a stupid private zoo here in Bahrain....where probably he was used for breeding.

emsy75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 year old neutered male is also doing this more and more regularly and exactly as mentioned above. When I am lying down he comes and starts humping my arm and gets more and more violent. I have to gently remove him but he protests very loudly. One vet said he's not trying to hump my arm but rather rub his willy. But I know cat humping when I see it. I just don't know how to offer some relief for the poor (apart from the obvious and I AM NOT doing that thank you very much!). What else can be done?

He was neutered late as he was rescued from a stupid private zoo here in Bahrain....where probably he was used for breeding.

beachguymike

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't feel bad. My boy cat does that; he's doing it right now. He is 3 years old, and not getting neutered (I have a brain injury, take medication simulating the brain to testicle situation, and would never subject any small animal to not having their natural hormones.) He is perfectly happy, doesn't spray (being that he is the lead pet in the house and has nothing to compete with,) and is great other than the fact that he loves to hump my left arm. I can live with that. He also is very loving, and even tried to sneak his way under my arms at night after I am sleep. Don't let other people turn you off to unneutered male cats. They can be very loving animals.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is completely normal in an unneutered young male. Maybe order him a long toy, such as a kickeroo that he can hump instead of you. There is really nothing you can do to stop this kind of behavior, he is an animal. Physical punishment does not work with cats, it just makes them afraid and distrustful. Maybe you can distract him too by throwing a toy or a treat.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
beachguymike beachguymike you just resurrected a thread that is almost 20 years old. :biggrin:

I realise that you have your reasons for not wanting to neuter your boy, but at TCS we also have our reasons for advocating spaying and neutering. You've been given a link explaining why. :)

Since this thread is so very old, and the topic covered, we'll lock it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.