My Young Cat Is A Bully!

MeekosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Meeko is now 9 months old and he has taken to bullying my mom's cat who is older, smaller and more timid. He doesn't seem to want to hurt her -- I think he wants to play -- but Kitty LuLu is terrified of him and hisses, cowers and runs from him. They each have their own boxes, feeding stations and rooms, but whenever she appears, he pounces on her. When we shut her up in her room, Meeko meows and makes the strangest "mating call" noises because he wants her. They are both fixed, however. When he is after her, he cannot be deterred unless she is picked up and removed from the situation or there is absolute interference with his aggressive behavior. How do I stop him from being such a bully? By the way, the dog LOVES playing with him (miniature Aussie). They wrestle and jump on each other and have a great time! If only Meeko would learn to leave LuLu alone. :-(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Some people in somewhat similar situations have been able to help incrrase the confidence of the victim kitty, with lots of play and extra love. Maybe some calming products as well?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t seem like an aggressive behavior, but wanting to play and it’s totally natural with kittens. I would try reintroducing them properly, with isolation and smells swapping. But it’s also possible that the older cat (how old is she?) will never accept a young one around as the kittens simply have too much energy for them, their personalities may differ too much. Does Kitty LuLu have a safe space where she can run away from Meeko where he cannot go after her?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeekosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t seem like an aggressive behavior, but wanting to play and it’s totally natural with kittens. I would try reintroducing them properly, with isolation and smells swapping. But it’s also possible that the older cat (how old is she?) will never accept a young one around as the kittens simply have too much energy for them, their personalities may differ too much. Does Kitty LuLu have a safe space where she can run away from Meeko where he cannot go after her?
I also think Meeko just wants to play, but he is young, exuberant and bigger than Kitty LuLu so she is not receptive. My mom worries that LuLu is being hurt, but last night after the incident and when I posted for help, Meeko was shut up in my room and LuLu came out into the living room looking for him! They each have their own space -- Kitty LuLu in mom's room and Meeko in mine -- where they have sleeping quarters, feeding station, litter box and sanctuary. Meeko is actually leash trained, so rather than keep them completely away from each other, I will keep Meeko under control when they are around each other and still let them have contact. I'm less worried about it than my mom is, and I'm sure Meeko will outgrow his rambunctiousness eventually. The cats, I believe, really like each other but are on different pages with their energy levels. I also need to work on training my mom to not be so hysterical about it! LOL Thanks for responding!
:lovecat4:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again! I just now noticed you're in Colorado - :wave3:

Have your mom read through these posts and that article, if you haven't already, especially with the thought that more playtime, separately and together and lots of love of Kitty LuLu may be of help to bring her confidence up a bit :)