My Year 2010

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,
Well I've come a long way from updating my breeding/showing/judging career every weekend. This year has been the most successful season for me since I started breeding cats in 1996.

It all started with a magical kitten that I bred born the 29th of December 2009. In February 2010 I stood on this kitten while he was out playing with my 9 other kittens. My heart was broken and I thought the world was going to end. I will never forgive myself, he died and his Mum (Flutterby) came and attacked me and she hadn't even looked at me or came near me since 3 weeks ago. Everyone brushed it off saying oh she wouldn't know that you killed him, but she did and it's only know that she has forgiven me that I feel I can talk about it. Even now I can't speak and can't think straight writing this out. But anyway, here's a photo of my special boy Stilton - who was going to be my show kitten for 2010.

In my third litter born this year I had a kitten born, who was the same colour as Stilton - just a bicolour and he was a real ugly duckling, but he was the son of my female Tales who died the day before Stilton due to internal bleeding. Another long story, anyway I decided to show this little ugly duckling despite everyone telling me I would be wasting my money.

The little ugly duckling is called MUSHROOM or Captivating Peek A Blue. And in the 2010 show season he was entered in 34 rings (under 34 judges) with the competition averaging 25-30 entries in each section, and he was placed in 24 top tens. Most of the time in the top 5. Including a 6th Best Kitten at the National, with 70+ Longhair kitten entries.

Currently Mushroom is running 8th Best Longhair Kitten in NZ in the National Awards (what we call the Annual awards). As you know with CFA and TICA there are hundreds of kittens and cats in contention for these awards so I'm not holding my breath he will stay in 8th position, but it would be super to get in the top 20 because I haven't had a kitten in the Annual awards for almost 10 years!

I also purchased a stud male (in partnership) with my Nana this year. A red Silver tabby Exotic who is called Silver Double Grand Champion Alamo Sparkle Monkey, and he is currently sitting at 6th Best Longhair Cat in the Annual Awards. There are no further Longhair shows here in NZ until April, so the award results will be released in December.

I also kept a little girl from last year's kitten season too - who has also had a successful show season. Her name is Captivating Dream A Little - a cream Harlequin Persian female. She's about 50th best kitten currently, so not quite as successful as Mushroom, her call name is Brie. She's just 9 months so I will wait a few months before I mate her.

My two females Flutterby and Fluffy have both just been mated on the same day - so hopefully I'll be expecting kittens mid November.

My judging is going well too. The middle of this year I was upgraded to Intermediate status and by June next year I would have been up to Senior status, but the last show I was due to judge at this year was cancelled to the big earthquakes here in NZ. I've got 5 assignments booked for next year, with a potential 6th on the way! Woohoo.

Anyway, I'll share some more photos of the cats I am talking about

Thanks for reading my ramblings - just wanted to let everyone know I was still in 'the game'!

This was my ugly duckling "Mushroom" pictured as a tiny baby.
Name: Captivating Peek A Blue
Sire: Gemara Danlara (Imp Aust)
Dam: Captivating Telling Tales "Tales"

Here's my beautiful swan, Mushroom now. Note: He's a Blue Silver Classic Tabby Bicolour

Here's another kitten I bred this year - Red Smoke Bicolour Persian.

Name: Captivating Sweet Nothing.
Sire: Silver Double Grand Champion Grafton For Your Consideration
Dam: Double Grand Champion Captivating Sweet Escape "Fluffy"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pictured is a kitten I bred this year, Captivating Sweet Escape. Some of you may remember the cat I had this year with mastitis so bad she lost one of her breasts (Fluffy). This is her baby all grown up.

Meant to say ^ above too that Sweet Nothing, was born a week early and was the only survivor from that litter. This will be Fluffy's last chance to "get it right", so to speak.

A photo of me judging at an all Birman show this year, this was the best of the best (IMO & Supreme). A gorgeous Seal point female.

And here's my Monkey boy, Sparkle Monkey. Who has received numerous BIS's and Supreme awards this year

Hope you've enjoyed the photos I've got some really nice ones of Brie, my harlequin baby but they are still on the camera. Thanks for reading my thread.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember that poor baby who passed away, I'm so glad Fluffy has now forgiven you and both of you can move forward

Congratulations on the new stud boy, Mushroom (what a cute name!), all the other cats and your judging achievements

Best of luck with the upcoming litters.

Are you planning on becoming an allbreeds judge or sticking with the l/h?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew you were very upset about the events you mention. It's easy to feel guilty, but anyone who has had a lot of kittens underfoot and has never stepped on one is very lucky; it happens more often than we hate to admit. I've even heard of it happening at the shelter, and I know it has happened to some of the fosters that have gone home with people.

I, personally, think Mushroom is the prettiest "ugly duckling" I've ever seen!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What lovely pics and what a year you've had both ups and downs, I am glad that Flutterby has forgiven you, it was just a tragic accident hun.xx

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing. It's nice to hear that we all go through situations that break our hearts. I lost a kitten at 5 days old this year, she just faded away.

Wonderful pictures and beautiful cats!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That red smoke bicolor is adorable!!
And that spot on Mushroom's nose is the cutest thing!

My foldie boy Tomu's breeder also had an accident, she stepped on Tomu's tail, luckily nothing too bad happened, but the tail is a bit damaged, you can feel it and he doesn't move it quite like the other cats. (This is one of the reasons I haven't taken him to a show, and he will be neutered on Tuesday, he's 19 months old and I've decided not to use him for breeding). It happens much more than is talked about, it's horrible but accidents happen, specially with animals that small. I also lost my lilacpoint BSH male Casper to cancer this May, it was a total surprise and shock.

It is nice to hear that things are starting to look brighter and things have gone well for you lately.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats and you have some beautiful examples of the breed. And I would not call Mushroom and ugly duckling when he was a kitten

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I remember that poor baby who passed away, I'm so glad Fluffy has now forgiven you and both of you can move forward

Congratulations on the new stud boy, Mushroom (what a cute name!), all the other cats and your judging achievements

Best of luck with the upcoming litters.

Are you planning on becoming an allbreeds judge or sticking with the l/h?
Hey Amanda,
Thanks for your nice comments -- I do plan on becoming an all breeds judge but not in the next couple of years. I want to finish my degree (November) and get my career sorted before I do the Shorthair side of the training - I have A LOT to learn when it comes to Shorthairs

Originally Posted by mews2much

Congrats
I remember when you lost them
Thanks for telling me the whole story of what happened.
I know how upset you were.
Hiya Jacky,
Thanks for the message - this may be my 15th year of breeding but it really doesn't get any easier!
Thanks for being so supportive through it all.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I knew you were very upset about the events you mention. It's easy to feel guilty, but anyone who has had a lot of kittens underfoot and has never stepped on one is very lucky; it happens more often than we hate to admit. I've even heard of it happening at the shelter, and I know it has happened to some of the fosters that have gone home with people.

I, personally, think Mushroom is the prettiest "ugly duckling" I've ever seen!
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the comments - it was a terrible incident and I hope it never happens to anyone I know. I remember it happened on here just after I joined TCS with another Persian breeder and her child and I just wondered "How on earth?" but this little guy was my side kick and was following my every move, and after a night at the emergency clinic with my other cat dying I had had no sleep

Also thanks for your comments on Mushroom. I've never really thought he was ugly, just in the shadow of my pretty boy, Stilton. But he is my best friend now and the nicest, friendliest cat I could ever imagine owning. Thank you.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

What lovely pics and what a year you've had both ups and downs, I am glad that Flutterby has forgiven you, it was just a tragic accident hun.xx
Thanks for the kind message Ruthy!

Originally Posted by Sohni

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to hear that we all go through situations that break our hearts. I lost a kitten at 5 days old this year, she just faded away.

Wonderful pictures and beautiful cats!
Thank you - It makes such a difference to have a good support network when you lose babies. My Nana although she has now been breeding for 55 years she is still a shoulder to cry on whenever I lose a baby and of course my friends here at TCS

Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

That red smoke bicolor is adorable!!
And that spot on Mushroom's nose is the cutest thing!

My foldie boy Tomu's breeder also had an accident, she stepped on Tomu's tail, luckily nothing too bad happened, but the tail is a bit damaged, you can feel it and he doesn't move it quite like the other cats. (This is one of the reasons I haven't taken him to a show, and he will be neutered on Tuesday, he's 19 months old and I've decided not to use him for breeding). It happens much more than is talked about, it's horrible but accidents happen, specially with animals that small. I also lost my lilacpoint BSH male Casper to cancer this May, it was a total surprise and shock.

It is nice to hear that things are starting to look brighter and things have gone well for you lately.
I'm sorry to hear you have decided not to use Tomu for breeding. I never knew that about Tomu's tail. Will you keep him as a neutered pet?

Thanks for your comments about the red smoke "Monty" - he was a real line bred kitten, and I actually took him to a cat show to sell in July (didn't enter him) and would you believe all the judges fell in love with him?

I love Mushies spot too! Thank you

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Congrats and you have some beautiful examples of the breed. And I would not call Mushroom and ugly duckling when he was a kitten
Thanks Martice. That means a lot. I'm almost hanging off my chair waiting until December to hear these results. LOL!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm sorry to hear you have decided not to use Tomu for breeding. I never knew that about Tomu's tail. Will you keep him as a neutered pet?
Yes, Tomu will stay as a pet.
I think I'll import another Fold for breeding purpose in some distant future.
We were kinda hoping the tail would have healed properly when he grew up, but it didn't. It's not something people would notice if I wouldn't tell about it and it doesn't bother him, but it can be felt when handling the tail.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Yes, Tomu will stay as a pet.
I think I'll import another Fold for breeding purpose in some distant future.
We were kinda hoping the tail would have healed properly when he grew up, but it didn't. It's not something people would notice if I wouldn't tell about it and it doesn't bother him, but it can be felt when handling the tail.
Good luck with finding a new foldie and good to hear Tomu will stay as a pet. He's such a pretty boy!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on such a wonderful season for you and your program! Lots of that December brings you many fancy titles and awards!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Congratulations on such a wonderful season for you and your program! Lots of that December brings you many fancy titles and awards!
Hey thanks for that! Even sitting in the top 10 for so many months has been a dream for me, so I'm not too hopeful

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your great success this year and thanks for sharing your photos of your beautiful cats!

I'm glad your cat finally forgave you for what was a terrible accident and totally not your fault.... and maybe that helps you forgive you too.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maewkaew

Congratulations on your great success this year and thanks for sharing your photos of your beautiful cats!

I'm glad your cat finally forgave you for what was a terrible accident and totally not your fault.... and maybe that helps you forgive you too.
Hiya thanks for your kind message - it means a lot to me!