My wanderer returns!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nate comes home tomorrow. He finished hiking awhile ago but has been climbing in Canada. He will be returning to the west coast to live though unless he changed his plans.😩 I am not thrilled with this since we will never see him then. Even with him living 70 miles away, we only saw him 4-5 times a year. He has to live his life though. Mom and Dad are the past. Given the number of pets we have and my husbands health travel isn’t an option.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap2: and :frown:. :hugs: I have a hard time with not having family near so I feel for you. I keep reminding myself to enjoy where my kids are at in their growing up but sometimes it’s hard not to think about them being grown up and leaving. I mean DH did so I know I don’t have room to talk. ;) But :sniffle:. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is just coming to pick up his car. He left it here. He will probably stay for a couple of hours, depending on his cat allergy. He grew up with long haired cats but since he left home he has developed an allergy.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do feel for you. My eldest son lives in Colchester which is over 200 miles from were we live. It is hard only seeing them a few times a year. I had one that spent 4 year's living in hull just over 130 miles from us. I have to admit I was over the moon when he moved back to our city but he's now got himself a lovely American girl. I have a feeling I'll be saying goodbye to him again they have talked about him moving to the states which im not looking forward to. But it's only because i like having them near. We have to let them spread their wings and enjoy the precious time we do get to spend with them. I've found video calling is brilliant but not the same as being able to see them in person.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If we do our jobs well as parents, they become independent adults and go on with their lives. At least now with the internet and cell phones it is much easier to stay in touch. No long-distance tolls so it is less extra expense.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs sorry to hear about your pain. And understand the conflicting impulses behind it.

Good on you to understand your son's reasons for moving, but, as a long-distance prodigal son myself, I know my mom took it pretty hard when I moved from Ohio to California in 1985. Dad hated to see me go, but he understood the impulse, and so did mom on an intellectual level.

Ohio was the past, California was the future, and I don't regret moving, though sorry mom didn't like it. I hated the cold, Ohio's economy was tanking, and I wanted to see the world a bit. (Mom and dad both agreed that I should, too.)

denice denice 's point is well-taken, on both counts, though mom and dad didn't do any of that internet stuff, though mom was starting to. I made a point to stay in touch via long-distance with mom and dad till they passed, mom in 2002, dad in 2014. And I had them to visit a number of times out here with me, too. (It's nice playing host to your mom and dad, instead of the other way 'round!) Over time, we found positives to share about the perspectives that time and distance can offer. The beauty of the timelines of different sets of seasons. Mom loved the Jacarandas, clouds of purple in May, as much as the glorious fall Ohio colors, happening right now.

I'm still here. Mom and dad are still with me.

Hope you and your kids stay together too, in spirit.