My vet's office blew up

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would assume that if someone left their pets at the vet and then heard the vet's office blew up, they'd definitely be trying to locate someone who knew where their pet was! So I doubt locating the owners will be a problem.
I agree! It is a small town, so everybody would have been aware of the explosion. Solomons, MD seems to be roughly the same size as my village, so I know how fast news can travel, especially when it is something as massive as an explosion! Even the surrounding communities would be aware. If I had pet staying at the vet's and I heard there was an explosion, the first thing I would ask is what vet. (Our village has one, so there would be no question if someone said the vet office blew up! Unless they met the veterans' care centers. We have two in the village and one in the next village over.)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happened Sunday night into Monday morning. I doubt some small town vet office burning down would make it onto the news where you live.
Solomons Island is only a little over an hours drive from DC and we get the DC stations here in Fredericksburg. Solomons Island does get into the news from time to time.
I disagree about not pressing charges though. Yes, it was an accident but he shouldn't have been there in the first place and shouldn't have broken into someone's camper.

I guess I look at it from the perspective as "What if Boone and Gracie were in that place? What if Boone and Gracie couldn't have been rescued and died such a horrible death?"
I guess I took it from the perspective that no animals died in the fire.

Last edited:

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet probably already has the offices phone line reassigned, at least to an answering service/machine with a message .

My urologist and dentist lost their building to fire two years ago.
Dentist just moved for a third time into his new offices.
Urologists split into about 4 different offices, just merged 2 into 1.
Urologist offices contact you multiple times to make sure you are going to the correct address.
Docs rotate to a different office based on their schedule and available equipment.
It takes time to set up, obtain equipment etc.
Hopefully the effected vet had offsite storage of computer backups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solomons Island is only a little over an hours drive from DC and we get the DC stations here in Fredericksburg. Solomons Island does get into the news from time to time.

I guess I took it from the perspective that no animals died in the fire.
Unfortunately I know the distance between home and DC all too well driving it twice a day to and from work. :lol: I guess I just didn't think it would be considered news worthy. Heck on our local forum, it is already "old news". :(

We actually had a homeless guy who lived in his car thar ended up being a multimillionaire. He just wanted to live that way.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought about something yesterday. I have enough Revolution Plus to get me through next month. Not sure how I will get more as I normally go through the vet or Chewy, which requires vet approval. I think if I called around to other vets, I would have to take Boone and Gracie in and I'd like to wait until August when all their shots are due.

Anyone know a safe option to get more Revolution Plus without vet approval?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know a safe option to get more Revolution Plus without vet approval?
Try calling their old number, see if their answering service directs you to a new number or has a message. I'm sure the vets don't want to be out of work for very long, and I don't see why they wouldn't give you a prescription for something you've already been using.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try calling their old number, see if their answering service directs you to a new number or has a message. I'm sure the vets don't want to be out of work for very long, and I don't see why they wouldn't give you a prescription for something you've already been using.
I will do that. Hopefully they have something in place with a different vet that will refill prescriptions for my vet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet they have something in place. Animals can’t just stop meds and wait. I’d think everyone has electronic records backed up off site by now too.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet they have something in place. Animals can’t just stop meds and wait. I’d think everyone has electronic records backed up off site by now too.
I forgot their Facebook page is public so I looked. I will email them today so hopefully the request will be ready by next month when I run out.

We understand a lot of our clients and patients are in need of care, prescription refills, records, etc. We are working hard to take care of all of these requests as soon as possible.

We ask that any and all prescription requests are sent to our email. We need to have (YOUR NAME, PETS NAME, MEDICATION NAME, MILLIGRAM, QUANTITY REQUESTED, HOW YOU ARE GIVING MEDS TO YOUR PET (IE 1 TABLET ONCE A DAY) AND A GOOD CONTACT PHONE NUMBER). We will handle prescription requests as soon as possible but know there could be delays due to our current circumstance. All other inquiries you may email us at the same email but currently we do not have access to our records. We are working on that and will hopefully have that sometime next week...

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since all this happened a few days ago, I'm assuming the rescued animals have been reunited with their owners. Is the vet clinic planing to relocate to a temporary location?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since all this happened a few days ago, I'm assuming the rescued animals have been reunited with their owners. Is the vet clinic planing to relocate to a temporary location?
I would imagine the pets are back home too. No idea about a temporary location.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sent an email yesterday asking about a refill for Revolution Plus. Got a text back today asking where I would like to pick it up. Gave names of two vets and said whichever they choose is fine. They texted back saying they'd let me know when I can pick it up. :thumbsup:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update...

They finally cleaned up the mess from the fire. Vet is actually reopening in the same building just at the opposite end. There was a firewall between the vet and other stores so only the vet burned down.

Solomons Vet ended up sending me to another vet in the next County to get the Revolution Plus. It's 20 minutes from home so not too bad. Solomons Vet is about 10 minutes so a little further away. I was so impressed with the other vet when I went to pick up the prescription that I made an appointment with them for Boone and Gracie's yearly checkup and vaccinations.

I was so impressed after the appointment that I decided I wouldn't be going back to Solomons Vet when they reopen. At the new vet, I can do everything online from making appointments, requesting prescription refills, and even text and sent pictures with concerns. I got a $25 off coupon for my first visit which was per cat so I actually saved $50!! I also got a goody bag filled with stuff. Vets and techs were super nice and really loved Boone and Gracie. You could tell they loved their jobs which unfortunately couldn't be said at Solomons.

I am sad that Solomons Vet burned down but the silver lining is that I found a better vet that I am super happy with. Had the fire not happened, I wouldn't have looked elsewhere.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank goodness the animals were rescued! That is scary. Too many times a story like this ends in mass tragedy. We worry any time our cats have to stay at the vet's boarding kennel. Though it has to be done sometimes (we could not keep Oscar at home after his complex surgery, for example) we visited him as often as we could and worried probably every waking hour. And it was always a fire that I worried about.