My vet gave my new kitten Convenia. Now I'm freaking out :(

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a brand new family member from a cattery who came to me Tuesday with a little cold and the cattery owner was treating him with clavomox prior to him coming to me, and told me to continue treatment which I of course, agreed to. Next day (Wednesday) I called my vet telling them that I got a kitten and was wanting to know the price and how I wanted clavomox prescribed to him. They told me the price and of course they needed to see the kitten in order for the meds to be prescribed, and I agreed to and set up the appointment the following day.

Now today, the day of his visit, I took him to the vet to get him checked out. Unfortunately I had to stay in the car and couldn't go into the clinic because of covid (despite wearing a mask). When one of the vet staff came to pick up my kitten I told her that he had a cold and I want him to get clavomox. About 15 minutes later, she gives me back my kitten and the receipt/vet bill and I read "convenia" which was NOT what I wanted. I questioned her and asked what is it and she told me it was a long acting medication. I don't care, it wasn't what I was told to get for my new baby and it wasn't what I asked for.

I returned home and contacted the cattery owner/breeder about the vet visit and how they gave him convenia. And she texted me back basically telling how convenia is a cat killer. I looked it up and sure enough, cats who have been given it had adverse reactions... My kitten doesn't even have skin problems, just a cold. Why the hell would they give that to him in the first place?

Now I'm freaking out, I'm panicking. I just had my kitten for 3 days and now there's a possiblity I could lose him very soon... All I wanted was clavomox for his cold...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...first, Covenia is given for colds, and has saved lives. Although SOME cats have had adverse reactions to it, even death, the same is true for EVERY MEDICATION ON THE MARKET. This is just a true for humans as it is for cats. Take a DEEP breath. Is he acting the same way he did before you took him in? Or very nearly? The advantage to Covenia is that you don't have to fight your kitten daily to give him a dose of medication. Just watch him, and if he is having difficulties, CALL THE VET AND INSIST ON BEING SEEN. I really think that he will be OK, unless he is one of the few who is sensitive to it.

But I do get why you are so upset. I'd have a talk with your vet, via phone or email if he can't be seen personally, and tell him that you want ALL medications run by you first in the future. Be sure he realizes that YOU ARE A PART OF YOUR KITTEN'S HEALTH TEAM, and expect to be treated that way.

Does your new baby have a name yet? And WE WANT PICTURES!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats who get Convenia are fine. I've used it several times myself with no ill effects. I know reading about the bad reactions is scary, but that's a very small percentage of cats who are given Convenia. Of course keep a good eye on him and call the vet right away if you see signs of a bad reaction, but chances are very high he'll be fine :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flapjack's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK...first, Covenia is given for colds, and has saved lives. Although SOME cats have had adverse reactions to it, even death, the same is true for EVERY MEDICATION ON THE MARKET. This is just a true for humans as it is for cats. Take a DEEP breath. Is he acting the same way he did before you took him in? Or very nearly? The advantage to Covenia is that you don't have to fight your kitten daily to give him a dose of medication. Just watch him, and if he is having difficulties, CALL THE VET AND INSIST ON BEING SEEN. I really think that he will be OK, unless he is one of the few who is sensitive to it.

But I do get why you are so upset. I'd have a talk with your vet, via phone or email if he can't be seen personally, and tell him that you want ALL medications run by you first in the future. Be sure he realizes that YOU ARE A PART OF YOUR KITTEN'S HEALTH TEAM, and expect to be treated that way.

Does your new baby have a name yet? And WE WANT PICTURES!
He's still being his active , loud kitten self. I'll definitely keep an eye on him though. The breeder also put in that he should be fine given his good immunity.
And his name is Lotus :) I'm planning on making a separate introductory post though

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is doing well still, he is almost certainly NOT going to have problems!

HI, LOTUS! We'll look forward to meeting him!