My two oldest cats dislike their 2 year old sibling.

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They somewhat got along til Moonlight started getting "hormonal" and pestering the older two cats (age 15 and 13). He was fixed but yet they still dislike him. They hiss when he comes around. What ways can I get them to get used to like each other again, or tolerate each other without the nastiness. Thank you in advance.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, an older cat hissing is about the equivalent of "Get the *bleep* off my lawn, ya dang whipper snapper!" I know you would prefer they get along better, but its pretty normal. Since they were initially chill, maybe you can improve it again via a reintroduction . . . but I am not sure too sure of the timing of everything, and well, a two year old cat doesn't need to be hormonal to annoy the heck out of older cats. So Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion is a good one if you really want to take every possible step, but TBH I'm not sure its worth the effort. They will either settle back down on their own, or perhaps mild distaste will be the steady state. That is the way it is sometimes, and I'm not sure you will be able to change it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thank you for the responses. The oldest cat ( a dilute tortie named Whiskers) has the attitude of torties and she never liked the dog we had either. She gets testy with other animals, outside or inside. She has been called Nasty Nellie (Nellie from Little House) for a reason. 13 yr old Kitty is more easy going but she too dislikes Moons. I will settle for for less hissing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A thought I just had, what if you loaded up all the cats and drove to a park and opened the car doors if it's not too cold or windows (not the cat carriers, keep them closed) so they get the smells and sounds.

Back at the house, have some windows open if you can while you're gone and if your kitties tolerate change, move a piece or two of furniture.

When you bring them back, hopefully the drive plus small changes at the house will provide enough adjustments so they're less cranky :).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They somewhat got along til Moonlight started getting "hormonal" and pestering the older two cats (age 15 and 13). He was fixed but yet they still dislike him. They hiss when he comes around. What ways can I get them to get used to like each other again, or tolerate each other without the nastiness. Thank you in advance.

If hissing is all they do, I would just let it go at that. They may have tolerated him as a kitten, but that seems to be a built in instinct. Once the kitten is grown up, sometimes they want nothing to do with it. In your case, they are a pair, he is a newcomer and there is a huge age difference. If he doesn’t pester then to the point they hide or he doesn’t block them from using the litterbox, things are going okay and I wouldn’t try to improve it.

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right now W is in a private area away from M. K still hisses all the time at M. The other day, K kept hissing at M while on the bed and eventually M chased her. DH was in the path as they ran over his face and upper chest while he was asleep. He was not happy.

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If hissing is all they do, I would just let it go at that. They may have tolerated him as a kitten, but that seems to be a built in instinct. Once the kitten is grown up, sometimes they want nothing to do with it. In your case, they are a pair, he is a newcomer and there is a huge age difference. If he doesn’t pester then to the point they hide or he doesn’t block them from using the litterbox, things are going okay and I wouldn’t try to improve it.
Uh W didn't really tolerate him as a kitten even. W is a moody cat who hates other animals.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh W didn't really tolerate him as a kitten even. W is a moody cat who hates other animals.
I had a a pair like that once. A horribly pesky kitten and a cat in her teens who was just over kittens. One day while I was at work they had some kind of unpleasant interaction which likely involved threats of death and from that day forward, some four or so years until the senior died, each acted as though the other didn’t exist. The younger cat never went near the senior and would in fact cross the room to avoid her.

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a a pair like that once. A horribly pesky kitten and a cat in her teens who was just over kittens. One day while I was at work they had some kind of unpleasant interaction which likely involved threats of death and from that day forward, some four or so years until the senior died, each acted as though the other didn’t exist. The younger cat never went near the senior and would in fact cross the room to avoid her.
Catch is that if W or K hiss angrily at M, that is an invite for M to respond. Grrrrr

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news, they do tolerate each other more. There is hisses here and there but an improvement.

greeneyes2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know update about my silly cats. hubby and I noticed that Whiskers pisses at Moonlight especially when I'm around. Like she's protecting me because she doesn't do that it was just hubby in the room.