My Tortie is getting more and more finicky.

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! We have bought several diff. kinds of the best quality food. She knows where we keep it and the act of pulling the tab off the can. Hence, she seems to only want it out of can. If refrigerated -- only for a few hrs -- she will generally look at me as if I have served her chunks of cement and keep meowing until we open new can. She has had duck pate, venison, pork, chicken, beef, salmon, etc. you name it! I am literally going to the kitchen 20x /day to get her a few teaspoons of food at a time. She only eats dry stuff when we're asleep. This is insane! I refuse to use our microwave to heat up cat food. I don't want it sitting on counter unrefrig. I have tried putting on a bit of hot h20 to warm up and she ignores. thoughts?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can take it out of the fridge early enough so the food will warm up on its own until it's time to serve.

This is insane! I refuse to use our microwave to heat up cat food. I don't want it sitting on counter unrefrig. I have tried putting on a bit of hot h20 to warm up and she ignores. thoughts?
Maybe the amount of water you add is too much and he doesn't like soupy food. Too much water and/or too hot water might also change its smell. Not all cats find it a problem but some might.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe she liked being spoonfed or she wants salmon today instead of beef. Sometimes minish refuses food I give her knowing there are alternatives. After a while she gives in eats anough just to stay alive (that's about half day, don't get me wrong). Sometimes she likes the attention together with the food, eats the same thing from my finger and continues from her plate.
If Adding hot water changes the balance too much minish refuses. I defrost her food (and mine) in a protected area from claws (inside oven not turning it on)
Sometimes it's the food itself something she doesn't like about it so maybe she can only bear it when warm.
These things are some part drama some part not, try insisting (up to 1 day) then try different things you will figure it out

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the same issue with my tortie and have moved to feeding primarily Sheba and Nutro for the tiny serving sizes they offer with the Perfect Portion packs

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We warm up Gohan’s food by putting it in a plastic bag and running it under hot water. It seems to work really well for the leftovers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Clouseau, Minish, Mizzely, and KarenCat! I will try these techniques -- good ideas, and nice to know someone else is going through similar!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
make sure to feed a bunch of brands and flavors as they can get bored if fed the same thing.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try mixing a dozen or so nuggets of the dry food to the wet, it changes the smell and texture. When mine wont eat the wet, this trick works every time.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, feed Sheba because of the tiny size. My cats refuse all pate, I get them 'cuts'. They also absolutely love Meow Mix simple servings in those tiny cups. Chicken breast only. I don't know why but it HAS to be the chicken breast, but the turkey and chicken doesn't work!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What happens if you put a can in the fridge and then open it and offer? I'm a mean kitty mom so when mine get picky I don't give in and after a meal or two of someone else eating their plate, they get the idea.