My Tohru.. sick? Irritated stomach?

Goldehwolfeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, it’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Life gets busy as a pet owner and full time worker.
Anyway, My boyfriend’s coworker found a kitten (My little Tohru) in the bay where he works. At first, I wasn’t originally suppose to get the kitten as his co-worker thought about keeping him, well that changed. So I took him home. (This was on Friday)

I did the obvious thing to do with rescue kittens, make a vet appointment - check for fleas, figure out the gender. Now fast forward to today (this kitten is about 5 weeks, won’t know for sure because his appointment isn’t until end of December due to my vet being booked) - 8am, He is up from the bed, walking around, meowing at the top of his lungs. He stops and starts puking. He puked 3 times in one go (these are spurts) and it looked like food. I admit, he likes to sneak into the older cats dry food and gets feisty when I pull him away. He had a couple more puking spurts before I left for work, and they were normal looking pukes (some with food in it)

I go on break at 3pm for my lunch - I came home to check on him. I saw that he ate a little of his kitten wet food but noticed a puke spot on his bed (which is changed out now). When he was roaming, he had another puke spurt (this only happened once the whole time I left from my lunch break).This time his puke was liquidy and pink (had some bubbles) he had his usual three in a row puke but this one had a fourth where nothing came out.

then I come home at 6:30, he’s out of his area to mingle with me and my cats (my cats love him, he just gets his own area when I’m away from home) and he is doing just fine not meowing on the top of his lungs, he used the litter box and I was telling my sister how well he was doing since my lunch break. Well he started his usual cries again and puked in the litter box. This spurt only had 2 pukes. They looked like normal puke with food chunk in it.

I called the emergency vet twice (morning and then at 3 after I saw those pukes) and they didn’t seem concerned and explained it could be him sneaking adult food and it could be too much for his stomach. They said I could bring him in if I wanted, but since they didn’t see it as emergent I didn’t.

my coworker told me to monitor it and if it continues to take him in to my regular vet (if I can get a earlier appointment)

what are your guys thoughts?
Do you think that maybe his stomach was sensitive to the pieces of wet food he stole? The sudden change in diet from whatever he was eating when he was found to cat food upsetted his stomach? (I’ve had him since Friday, he was okay Friday and Saturday)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Goldehwolfeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On mobile device so forgot how to edit-
To add: He’s been active still, but has been sleeping since his last incident. He eats and drinks just fine still.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for saving this sweet baby! He needs to be seen much sooner than the end of December, especially since you have other pets who could get exposed to any diseases he's harboring. He should get dewormed, checked for fleas, and combo tested for FIV/FELV as soon as possible. The multiple vomiting episodes are definitely a concern, and at his age it's critical he gets appropriate nutrition and hydration. Are you feeding him powdered KMR as well as kitten wet food?

Goldehwolfeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for saving this sweet baby! He needs to be seen much sooner than the end of December, especially since you have other pets who could get exposed to any diseases he's harboring. He should get dewormed, checked for fleas, and combo tested for FIV/FELV as soon as possible. The multiple vomiting episodes are definitely a concern, and at his age it's critical he gets appropriate nutrition and hydration. Are you feeding him powdered KMR as well as kitten wet food?
I do! I use to raise kittens so I know that aspect. I only trust one vet in my town sadly as the others don’t have good reviews and the old vet I went to gave us a cat X-ray for our dog 😅 (back in 2014).

when I talked to my vet about the kitten, they didn’t say anything about potential exposure to diseases as I mentioned that the kitten wasn’t afraid of us which leads me to believe he was dumped (especially since he also has no fleas) but I’ll see if I can get on a cancellation list so I can get in sooner! My vet offers that!
I already want to get him tested for FIV, and my boyfriend agreed to it so that’s also going to happen c:

I’ll be calling my vet tomorrow and see if I can get it sooner!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this kitten. I agree that a kitten found in a place where a feral might not go naturally (especially at that age) could be a dumped baby. Fiona herself was found in a tiny kitten's no man land where she never would have wandered or been abandoned by her mom, even if that were to have been the case.

5 weeks is way too young for repeated vomiting, even if it is food related. He does need to see a vet; if you get a reassurance, great! You will at least have peace of mind instead of watching this slowly unravel.

Goldehwolfeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys - Been Awhile. Here is a large update for yall
Tohru was seen that day, he was clean as a whistle and it was ruled out as a sensitive stomach thing so I ended up separating him from the other cats due to him trying to eat their dry food.

today, he has gotten big! He is long haired and showing some main coon characteristics!
He is the hyper one out of all my cats as well lol