My ten-month-old kitten is dumber than dumb, I need toys at her level

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bug is a darling, sweet, I adore her. But after watching her for three months and trying every toy I can find, she just can't figure them out. She can't grasp to move the treatball so the treats will fall out; no concept of the red laser dot as prey, she just stares at it; she ignores the balls. All she plays with is the catnip mouse. She is indoor, she needs more exercise. All my other cats were adopted as adults, so this is unfamiliar territory. Are there toys or games that are very simple? She is very treat-motivated for sure. All advice welcome.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take that favorite mouse toy of hers and tie a string to it. When she tries to pounce on it, tug it away and make her chase it.
Make sure she has a fair chance to catch the toy at least every two or three tries or else she'll get discouraged and become bored with it.

With any string or yarn toy, make sure you hold onto one end while you play. When you're done playing, untie the string and put it in a drawer or some place where the cat can't get it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try some other small inexpensive toys, like cat springs, mylar crinkle balls, sparkly puff balls etc. Some cats just have a strong preference for one kind of toy or form of play over others. My Willow doesn’t like most puzzle toys because she can figure them out and gets frustrated.

You can also try to teach her to fetch using her mouse toys. You take it, toss it and retrieve it until she starts to join in and play with it when you toss it. Then you stop and wait a few minutes to see if she brings it closer. If not you go get it and toss it again. Eventually they figure out the game and start bringing the toy to you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For catnip toys, you can also pop them in the freezer for a couple hours which will reactivate the catnip 😸

Usually it's not about stupidity, it's about motivation for a cat. She knows she'll get other treats if she doesn't move the ball, so why bother? That's Magnus's attitude. He's not the most food focused even though he has certain treats that he loves.