My tabby was attacked when we moved! Please help me identify breeds so I can get them spayed & neutered asap!

Vimobe87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to schedule appointments online (they won't do it over the phone for some reason) for my fur babies to get spayed & neutered and it is a requirement to know the breed of cat before I can move on to the scheduling part of the application.
My cats are brother and sister from the same litter and are 9 months old.
Oopsie is darker brown with black stripes and Daisy is light silver/gray, and Oopsie is much larger than Daisy.
I just found out that "tabby" is not a breed so I would appreciate it if someone could help me figure out which breed my fur babies are. (I am too much of an overthinker to figure this out on my own (lol)). I've tried the cat scanner apps and it only confuses me even more.

I am posting 8 pics of Oopsie & Daisy, one is from when they were only a few weeks old, so if someone could look at them and let me know their breed I would greatly appreciate it! Poor Oopsie was attacked 2 days after moving into our new home and didn't come home for 5 days. He became very sick from the wounds/ infection in his leg (he is almost completely healed now!). So this is a top priority right now and I am at a loss as to what breed of tabby they are
:(
Pic 1- Daisy
Daisy

Pic 2- Daisy/left corner, River/right corner (i am also unsure about the breed of my 6 yr old, River, (if anyone knows please enlighten me!)
Daisy & River

Pic 3- Oopsie
oopsie3.jpg

Pic 4- Oopsie
oopsie4.JPG

Pic 5- Oopsie & Daisy
fur_babies2023.JPG

Pic 6- Oopsie & Daisy
oopsieDaisy.JPG

Pic 7- Oopsie & Daisy (car ride to the new house)
oopsieDaisy2.jpg

Pic 8- Oopsie & Daisy (about 3-4 weeks old)
oopsieDaisyKittens_2.PNG

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty kitties! I think that is stupid of anyplace to ask a breed, but nonetheless, the bottom line is your cats are domestic short haired (DSH) - which is the 'breed' for all cats that don't hold pedigree papers. I don't know if there were options to pick from, but if there were, DSH should have been one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vimobe87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty kitties! I think that is stupid of anyplace to ask a breed, but nonetheless, the bottom line is your cats are domestic short haired (DSH) - which is the 'breed' for all cats that don't hold pedigree papers. I don't know if there were options to pick from, but if there were, DSH should have been one.
That is an option! Thanks so much I appreciate your help! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes, domestic short hair. DSH. One is a brown tabby (some will call it black tabby) the other is a grey (or many will call it a blue tabby).
Their pattern seems to be similiar, and their basic color is black. One has the dilutation gene doubled up, that is why he is grey / blue.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to schedule appointments online (they won't do it over the phone for some reason) for my fur babies to get spayed & neutered and it is a requirement to know the breed of cat before I can move on to the scheduling part of the application.
My cats are brother and sister from the same litter and are 9 months old.
Oopsie is darker brown with black stripes and Daisy is light silver/gray, and Oopsie is much larger than Daisy.
I just found out that "tabby" is not a breed so I would appreciate it if someone could help me figure out which breed my fur babies are. (I am too much of an overthinker to figure this out on my own (lol)). I've tried the cat scanner apps and it only confuses me even more.

I am posting 8 pics of Oopsie & Daisy, one is from when they were only a few weeks old, so if someone could look at them and let me know their breed I would greatly appreciate it! Poor Oopsie was attacked 2 days after moving into our new home and didn't come home for 5 days. He became very sick from the wounds/ infection in his leg (he is almost completely healed now!). So this is a top priority right now and I am at a loss as to what breed of tabby they are
:(
Pic 1- Daisy
Daisy

Pic 2- Daisy/left corner, River/right corner (i am also unsure about the breed of my 6 yr old, River, (if anyone knows please enlighten me!)
View attachment 451896
Pic 3- Oopsie
View attachment 451897
Pic 4- Oopsie
View attachment 451898
Pic 5- Oopsie & Daisy
View attachment 451899
Pic 6- Oopsie & Daisy
View attachment 451900
Pic 7- Oopsie & Daisy (car ride to the new house)
View attachment 451901
Pic 8- Oopsie & Daisy (about 3-4 weeks old)
View attachment 451905
I have never heard of anybody asking what breed of cat is before they will make a spay or neuter appointment sounds crazy to me. Daisy is a domestic shorthair, blue tabby, I have forgotten their names now sorry the boy is a domestic, short hair, brown tabby on your of the kitty river is a domestic short hair black kitty. They both look like they have oriental influence in their faces the Tabbies. You need to keep them inside only it’s much safer and certainly they should not be roaming around outside if they’re not spayed and neutered.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Asking for breed isnt not that stupid as it sounds.
Some breeds may be known to have some difficulties. I have heard Birma have sometimes difficult for some of the sleeping agents,
and thus making spaying more touchy.
Also, being a purebred may be an indications a cat is has insurance / or the owner is willing to pay if there is difficulties...
Owner of a moggie will tend to accept a pts if there are any problems... And thus, be secretly relieved if the vet suggests pts.

Meowmee Meowmee

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asking for breed isnt not that stupid as it sounds.
Some breeds may be known to have some difficulties. I have heard Birma have sometimes difficult for some of the sleeping agents,
and thus making spaying more touchy.
Also, being a purebred may be an indications a cat is has insurance / or the owner is willing to pay if there is difficulties...
Owner of a moggie will tend to accept a pts if there are any problems... And thus, be secretly relieved if the vet suggests pts.

Meowmee Meowmee
I didn't say it was stupid. No one has ever asked what breed my cat was in order to make the appointment for s/n.. of course I know what a dsh is etc. vs a pb so it was not an issue. This op did not apparently, and wondered what breed her cats are. I would think dvm would have realized this and asked more questions, like are they pb cats etc.

That is true about siamese too, but my dvm did not say anything about that for Quinn's neuter, but a neuter is a very light sedation and they assured me he will be fine. Which he was, and running around 3-4 hours later, in his room. Wizard on the other hand always had trouble with sedation, he was a siamese/oriental mix, and I was always worried about it and did as few sedations as possible through his life which was until 22 or so.

I can't speak for others but I would never be relieved if my cats or kittens had complications at s/n and dvm said pts.. nor would I not have tried to save them. Breed would have nothing to do with it and certainly them being dsh or dlh wouldn't either. TG none of my cats had any s/n disasters, but I have heard of poor kittens who did not make it through the surgery, and I always think dvm messed up the sedation. And... any dvm who assumes I don't care about my non pb cats enough to save them and would be relieved to accept a pts, really, that would seriously worry me about what care they are going to be taking with the surgery in the first place, not a dvm I would want to be doing their surgery or anything else.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The phrase "its not as stupid as it sounds" IS a phrase... Shall not be taken literally. Its a way to agree with the original proposal or idea...

Meowmee Meowmee

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes reception staff at hospitals are going off scripts geared for dogs and don’t think outside the box or question what they are asked to do. This is why one size or one script does not fit all. Vets often have no idea what goes on in their own hospitals office.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They also might be asking if you will be getting a microchip inserted at the time they are neutered. Having the breed listed (if any) would be quite helpful if the cat every got lost.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The phrase "its not as stupid as it sounds" IS a phrase... Shall not be taken literally. Its a way to agree with the original proposal or idea...

Meowmee Meowmee
Yeah you’re right. I just thought it was odd that they wouldn’t even make an appointment and they didn’t try to help her figure out what breed her cats are, etc. but then I realize now that she was doing this online not on the phone.Lol