My Sweet Libby

Jbrookat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to say good-bye to my sweet girl Libby on May 21, 2018. She had been with me for 16 years, through graduate school, 2 different apartments, my first teaching job, then getting married, buying a house, and the birth of two babies. She was right by my side as I navigated young adulthood, and we had a very special bond. She could often tell when I was having a hard day, and she would come and curl up next to me and purr and lick my face. When I was pregnant with each of my babies, Libby would lay her paws on my belly and purr. I think she knew. Libby was very smart. She also never knew a stranger. She never hid from strangers or panicked when new people entered the house. She would come out to greet them, and if they sat down to visit, she would often crawl right up next to them and start rubbing on them! When she was a kitten, Libby used to play fetch with her little jingle ball for as long as someone would throw it for her. Her favorite things were drinking the leftover milk from my cereal bowl, sneaking bites of chicken that were dropped on the floor (she used to camp under the high chair just waiting!), and watching birds out the windows. In her later years, Libby slowed down quite a bit due to thyroid problems and arthritis, but she was always loving and social. She loved all of her people, but she and I definitely shared a special bond.

At the end last May, I had to make the decision to have her put down. It was agonizing, but it was time. Her thyroid condition was worsening and the treatments were not working--she was vomiting multiple times daily and continuing to lose weight. Blood work revealed that she was in kidney failure. Additionally, she had a large tumor in her belly that she had groomed at so much that she was bleeding. The vet told me it was time, and I knew in my heart it was true. On her last full day, the kids and I took her outside in our arms to look at the birds up close. We sat in the yard with her and petted her while the birds flew and sang all around. That evening, we tried to tempt her with pieces of roast chicken, and she nibbled a bit, but her appetite was just gone. The next day, while the kids were at school, I took her to the vet and held her in my arms while they gave the injections to put her down. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. My sweet girl looked into my eyes until the very end.

We've since adopted a pair of new kitties, and while they are precious, they will never replace my sweet Libby.

Attachments

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a love story this is! What a sweet cat, she had a wonderful life and you had her in your life for quite a long time although no time is ever long enough. It is always hard to have to "play God" but you did the right albeit toughest thing to do, she is not suffering anymore and is just fine now and you will see her sweet face again one day and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl!! And so sweet...it's so hard with your "first baby", I had to put down my 17 year old in October and I'd had him since I was 21! I'm so sorry for your loss. Also, glad you opened your home and heart to new kitties, they don't fill holes, but they are definitely welcome distractions! Libby knows no suffering anymore and knows how much you loved her!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a beautiful cat and beautiful story!

Libby baby, you had a very strong, courageous mama who loved you to the nth degree.

RIP sweetheart, you are in a place of peace and forever sunshine :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to such a precious little girl. You gave her everything she wanted in life, because she had you. Although it hurts so very bad when they have to go, there comes a time when the joy of living turns into existing and endless suffering. Somehow you found the strength through your love to let her find peace, you could not let the pain continue and let her lose her dignity. She thanks you for that.
She lives on through you now, and to spread her love and open your heart to others is a source of great joy for her, letting her spirit bloom and grow in the sunlight, not be hidden in the darkness of grief. Those two little ones will provide a distraction from your pain, and over time the tears will wash away the acute pain. Each love is unique and precious, the loves you have now will add to hers already securely entrenched in your soul.
She added so much to your life, she was such a part of your life, it is impossible to imagine never meeting her at all, she was a treasure to your heart. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love for her never will.
She follows a new path now, but it will forever parallel your own, because what you had is spiritual, so eternal. She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send her thoughts of love and comfort, of joy you find in living life to it's fullest. It is what she wants for the one she loves so very much, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. It will bring her peace to know she will never be forgotten and that she left you with so many precious memories.
My heart goes out to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Pass on her legacy of love to your children, let them know too the love of a pet and what joy it can bring to their lives.......RIP dearest Libby. You will always be held dear in a loving heart, your precious memories will bring comfort to a broken heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Libby, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on your mama's heart forever.

You gave her back all the love that she gave you, and for 16 wonderful years...but when there is love, eternity is not long enough. I do know this, though, love does not die, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. And Love abides. Libby is with you still, loving you, enjoying watching the new kittens, and knowing that your growing love for them is a tribute to the love that you and she shared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jbrookat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I often do feel like Libby is near, as crazy as that may sound. ❤

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wrote such a wonderful tribute for your Libby, it brought tears to my eyes, especially the part when you took her outside to look at the birds, because this is what I did with my sweet Lola an hour before the vet came home for the final injection...

Libby was beautiful, what green eyes she had! Like two precious jewels !

RIP Libby, your eyes will shine on your family now!

Last edited: