My super sweet affectionate cat no longer cuddles with me

danam211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beautiful 5 year old male that I adopted when he was 15 weeks old he was so cute and super loving and affectionate and over the last year he has become less and less affectionate I will pick him up and try to love on him and I always talk sweetly to him and tell him how much he is loved and he hears this daily but he still seems distant he is my world and this is breaking my heart any suggestions please

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had he been to the vet recently? A friend's senior cat stopped asking for pets and it turned out she had arthritis. We guess petting was hurting her. She got medicine for her and she would lay with her again, but only accepted pets on top of her head.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would get a vet visit first and rule out any medical reason for the change in behavior. Then try to figure out if there is any reason for him to be distant, any new people around, tradespeople in and out, a stray cat he can see out the window, etc. I could see him getting less affectionate as he aged out of kittenhood, but at 5 that is unusual. SOMETHING happened, he got scared or hurt that caused him to change. It could be something new, or arthritis, or he doesn't feel good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danam211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all I will get him a vet appointment and see what happens...I will keep you all informed he is a special cat and he means a lot to me

Attachments