My Stand Mixer Broke! Recommendations for a new one?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bummer. Due to poor design, the bowl got lodged in a tilted (wrong) position while I was out of the room, and when I came back it smelled of electrical burn. It worked for a little while after, but now the paddle turns off or won't move. Just when I was getting used to the convenience of not having to hold my hand above the bowl for 5 minutes while making whipped cream!

So I think I want to replace it. I could repair it--it was a Christmas 2013 present, so I'm a little disappointed. But I think the better move is to get a better mixer that isn't prone to catastrophic failure. I'm not ready for a big one yet, though--just not enough room in the house. Can someone recommend a 3-5 quart stand mixer?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Kitchen Aid makes a nice Classic 5-quart tilt-head mixer. I think KA's Artisan mixer is pretty much the same as their Classic. 5-quart, tilt-head. Do some research because you can often find them at very good prices!

I always say You Can't Go Wrong With a KA! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Kitchen Aid. They are pricey, but well worth every dollar. By a miracle, I found mine on the shelf at Lowe's. It was their last one, out of the box, no manual, but I got it for just under two hundred dollars. It is the Classic model, 275 watt motor. I needed it to mix gluten free dough for bread which is very thick and gooey. This mixer works like a dream. I was able to print out a manual from a website online. The mashed potatoes it makes are so creamy and it just works wonderful. I have seen good deals on E bay for them too.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to third the Kitchen Aid. I love mine, it was a surprise Christmas present in 2013 and I expect it to last as long as I do!

My previous one was a Sunbeam, which I do not recommend. We got it cheap years and years ago from Costco and I hardly used it as it always made such a mess. Just more hassle than it was worth. The paddles got kinda warped and hit the sides of the bowl so I couldn't use it anymore. A case of "you get what you pay for."
The Kitchen Aids have a great reputation for quality, so it's more of an investment piece that you'll be glad you made.

On a side note, I find that the organic cream whips up really quickly. I only ever buy the organic cream now as I can't stand the taste of the other stuff. Cream should be cream IMO, not the long list of whatever else... I whip up a bowl in under 2 minutes with my rotary beaters. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a Kitchen Aid too for years, really like it. I would recommend getting the 'scraper blade' to replace the one that comes with it, they are a little pricey at 25.00 but worth it, no scraping! I use the grinder and the shredder attachments a lot too at canning time. Both are nice to have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone!

Any good place to get a KitchenAid on discount?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone think the glass measuring bowl is worth it?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks, everyone!

Any good place to get a KitchenAid on discount?
Do you have a Kohl's card? If you do, they have the classic plus 4.5 quart on sale for $249.99. They are running their monthly sale right now. 30% off when using your Kohl's card. The code is NEWYEAR30. Shipping will be free except a surcharge of $3.25. The discount takes off $75.00 to $174.99. There is also a $20 rebate listed on the site if you purchase it no later than 1/21. That would take it down to $154.99 plus tax and the $3.25 shipping surcharge. Not bad. You can get it in any color you like as long as it's white. 

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1392420/kitchenaid-classic-plus-45-qt-stand-mixer.jsp

If you are an Ebates member, they give 3% back on Kohl's purchases. Just go through them to get to Kohl's. Every penny counts. !   I love Ebates

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you have a Kohl's card? If you do, they have the classic plus 4.5 quart on sale for $249.99. They are running their monthly sale right now. 30% off when using your Kohl's card. The code is NEWYEAR30. Shipping will be free except a surcharge of $3.25. The discount takes off $75.00 to $174.99. There is also a $20 rebate listed on the site if you purchase it no later than 1/21. That would take it down to $154.99 plus tax and the $3.25 shipping surcharge. Not bad. You can get it in any color you like as long as it's white. 

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1392420/kitchenaid-classic-plus-45-qt-stand-mixer.jsp

If you are an Ebates member, they give 3% back on Kohl's purchases. Just go through them to get to Kohl's. Every penny counts. !   I love Ebates
HOLY COW! Not only do I have a Kohl's card, I have a Kohl's gift card for $100 from Christmas!!! Thank you, @Kat0121that makes this one a no-brainer!!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

HOLY COW! Not only do I have a Kohl's card, I have a Kohl's gift card for $100 from Christmas!!! Thank you, @Kat0121that makes this one a no-brainer!!!
You're welcome! Glad to help!! Kohl's runs these deals once a month with the 15, 20 or 30% off codes. You should get $30 in Kohl's cash from the purchase as well. $10 for every $50 spent I think.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of this, Raintyger! What a great deal! 

When you get your KA, you'll have to take pictures. And tell us what's the first thing you're going to make with your new mixer. We always want to know these things. 

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did it! I bought it! I was a little worried that I wouldn't get the full 30% off if I used the gift card, but it went through! (Thought maybe I'd get a lesser discount based on the amount not paid by gift card, so $249-$100=$149, but I got the full $75. So here's the discounts that @Kat0121 found for me:

--on sale

--30% charge card discount

--rebate

--Kohl's cash (have to verify)

--eBates

Also, Kohl's has their Yes2You rewards, so I got that, too.

First item might be a chocolate tart since we're heading towards Valentine's Day.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As asked for, here's pics of my new KitchenAid.

First dish was flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream and strawberries (February/Valentine's Day theme). Here's the mixer after I got to walk away and let it whip the cream:

And here's the dessert:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will never be sorry you bought this. I made mashed potatoes in mine yesterday. :nod: