My Squirrels Like Cayenne Pepper

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have five squirrel feeders and a couple bird feeders. I have managed to squirrel proof the bird feeders for all but ONE squirrel who knows how to get around the proofing on the bigger of the two feeders. I've read several articles over time about squirrels not liking cayenne pepper, and that it doesn't bother the birds.

I even used cayenne pepper and moth balls in little condiment cups anchored to chicken wire around my canna plants that they wanted to eat the flowers from. It worked and they no longer bother the cannas.

So, to try to defeat this one blasted squirrel, I put cayenne pepper in the bird food and placed it in the bird feeder she can get on. Well, apparently she is not fazed by the pepper, nor are the squirrels that eat from the bird food that falls to the ground underneath the feeder. The birds could care less as well.

I can only conclude that it was the moth balls - or the combination - that deterred the squirrels from my cannas. So, I am now trying to devise a way to attach some cayenne pepper/moth ball condiment cups to this one feeder and see if that makes a difference!!

Thank goodness that, so far, none of the other squirrels can mimic this one diabolical lady!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting! I wonder if the Vick's would bug the birds? I'll have to look that one up, but I bet I don't find anything on it!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had raccoons tamper with our bird feeders one year and I'm sure the squirrels got seconds. :lol:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had raccoons tamper with our bird feeders one year and I'm sure the squirrels got seconds. :lol:
No doubt! All the squirrels who can't get to this feeder are certainly underneath it eating the fall out - especially when Ms. Troublemaker squirrel is on it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I saw that squirrel at a nearby taco stand, dumping habanero salsa on a burrito... :eek:
Then she loves her hot stuff, as she traveled a long way to get it. If by chance you see her again, do NOT allow her to return to Florida.