Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

My Son Came Home

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by posiepurrs, Apr 20, 2019.

1. posiepurrs

posiepurrs Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 11, 2015
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    My youngest son came home yesterday to leave his car with us while he is gone to hike the Pacific Coast Trail. He flies out tomorrow so last night is the last we will see of him until fall. I told him last night that I am not thrilled with this hike but he is an adult. I will worry until he is home again since he is doing this hike alone. Here is a photo he took of himself on the summit of Mt Whitney (14501 feet) on his last hike - the John Muir trail. The lighting is not good because it was sunrise. How did I, perfectly content to be a home body as I got older, raise such an adventurous kid??? Even when I liked to travel, I didn't want to rough it - felt like I was being mistreated if I stayed in a hotel without room service! IMG_0735.JPG

Docs Mom, rubysmama, mama africa and 5 others purraised this.

2. Mia6

Mia6 Mother of two Top Cat

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    Even with the dark lighting I can tell he is a handsome young man. I would love to be able to do something like that but stay in hotels at night.

Docs Mom, maggiedemi and neely purraised this.

3. neely

neely May the purr be with you Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    I wish him well and hope he succeeds on his journey. :goodluck:

ArchyCat and maggiedemi purraised this.

4. maggiedemi

maggiedemi TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 26, 2017
    Northern NY
    How long is the hike? He's very handsome.

CatLover49 and neely purraised this.

5. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    They must be a throwback from some kind of gene soemwhere. My son is so intellegent, was in the service, and has a rebel streak that really worries me. He didn't get it from us!
    He's 44 years old and content to rent and work as a waiter, no money, no preparing for the future. He lives in big cities and doesn't even have a car! I found out long ago it doesn't do a bit of good to worry, it's his life!

kittyluv387, neely and maggiedemi purraised this.

6. mama africa

mama africa TCS Member Top Cat

May 9, 2016
    My mom and dad are not adventurous and they don't like travelling, but when I was in my late twenties I started feeling the need to explore the world. Despite my aerophobia I travelled a lot, mostly in Africa and South America and always low budget and in difficult circumstances. Each time I went to say goodbye to my parents before leaving for a new adventure, my mom tried to persuade me to stay at home. I knew that she was going to worry from the moment I left until my return, but the need to expand my perspective and to challenge myself were too strong.
    Looking back on it now I am very happy that I followed my heart and my adventurous spirit.

Wish your youngest a safe and memorable journey !!!

neely, ArchyCat, Mia6 and 2 others purraised this.

7. betsygee

betsygee Don't believe everything you think. Staff Member Moderator

Mar 17, 2013
    Monterey, CA, USA
    Hopefully he's taking a phone or some kind of GPS device?

I hope he has an amazing adventure. :clover: :goodluck:

maggiedemi purraised this.

8. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    Thank you. The hike is a little over 2000 miles I think. I put the incorrect name- it is the Pacific Crest Trail.

Docs Mom, ArchyCat and maggiedemi purraised this.

9. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    He is taking both.

maggiedemi and betsygee purraised this.

10. kittyluv387

kittyluv387 TCS Member Top Cat

Sep 10, 2015
    No offense but he’s cute! Lol.

It’s good he’s doing these things now. Later on his mind may be willing but his body not so much. That’s why I’m trying to go on some active and difficult vacations while I can. Although I definitely stay at decent hotels!

11. bodester413

bodester413 TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jan 26, 2016
    Midwest USA
    Oh wow that would be fun. It looks like it goes through some breathtaking scenery. I always thought it would be great to do something like that. I'm sure it would kick your butt physically, but it would be cool when you reached the end and you could look back and say you did it.

12. maggiedemi

Mar 26, 2017
    Northern NY
    My first thought was, how do they take a shower? But I guess they can stop along the way?

13. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    Last time he lost about 30 pounds and that was only a little over 200 miles. No showers usually, just streams. At some of the stops along the way they have facilities.

14. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    He will have a great time! And I know you'll worry. :hugs:

15. maggiedemi

Mar 26, 2017
    Northern NY
    That doesn't sound so bad then, if they have streams to bathe in. :)

16. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    He will be passing through some towns and cities too - I don't think he could avoid that since the trail is 2600+ miles long -that is what his girlfriend told me. I just hope he doesn't have a run in with wild life this time. On his last long hike he had a bear in his camp. The only thing between him and the bear was a nylon tent. Luckily the bear was more interested in his food, which he couldn't get to. See why I am worried??

mama africa and maggiedemi purraised this.

17. rubysmama

rubysmama Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    I'd never heard of the trail, till I read the book
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. It's a pretty good read. The book does dwell into her personal life, but there's a lot about her travels on the trail. She also did the trail on her own, but wasn't as prepared for the experience as your son probably is.

You'll have to post the highlights of his trip, once he's back home.

The book was also made into a movie with Reese Witherspoon.

susanm9006, mama africa and maggiedemi purraised this.

18. susanm9006

susanm9006 Willow Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, since the Strayed book the trail has become even more popular. To me, if it’s something you always thought about doing, go do it. Too much of life gets in the way of adventures when we get older. But of course as moms our job is to worry while they adventure.

19. posiepurrs

Jan 11, 2015
    He started today at 4:45. While he was home this past weekend he told my other son that when he gets back he thinks he may try going to hike in Nepal. I have raised a lunatic!:crazy:

mama africa and maggiedemi purraised this.