My Son Came Home

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest son came home yesterday to leave his car with us while he is gone to hike the Pacific Coast Trail. He flies out tomorrow so last night is the last we will see of him until fall. I told him last night that I am not thrilled with this hike but he is an adult. I will worry until he is home again since he is doing this hike alone. Here is a photo he took of himself on the summit of Mt Whitney (14501 feet) on his last hike - the John Muir trail. The lighting is not good because it was sunrise. How did I, perfectly content to be a home body as I got older, raise such an adventurous kid??? Even when I liked to travel, I didn't want to rough it - felt like I was being mistreated if I stayed in a hotel without room service!
IMG_0735.JPG

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They must be a throwback from some kind of gene soemwhere. My son is so intellegent, was in the service, and has a rebel streak that really worries me. He didn't get it from us!
He's 44 years old and content to rent and work as a waiter, no money, no preparing for the future. He lives in big cities and doesn't even have a car! I found out long ago it doesn't do a bit of good to worry, it's his life!

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom and dad are not adventurous and they don't like travelling, but when I was in my late twenties I started feeling the need to explore the world. Despite my aerophobia I travelled a lot, mostly in Africa and South America and always low budget and in difficult circumstances. Each time I went to say goodbye to my parents before leaving for a new adventure, my mom tried to persuade me to stay at home. I knew that she was going to worry from the moment I left until my return, but the need to expand my perspective and to challenge myself were too strong.
Looking back on it now I am very happy that I followed my heart and my adventurous spirit.

Wish your youngest a safe and memorable journey !!!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense but he’s cute! Lol.

It’s good he’s doing these things now. Later on his mind may be willing but his body not so much. That’s why I’m trying to go on some active and difficult vacations while I can. Although I definitely stay at decent hotels!

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow that would be fun. It looks like it goes through some breathtaking scenery. I always thought it would be great to do something like that. I'm sure it would kick your butt physically, but it would be cool when you reached the end and you could look back and say you did it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was, how do they take a shower? But I guess they can stop along the way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time he lost about 30 pounds and that was only a little over 200 miles. No showers usually, just streams. At some of the stops along the way they have facilities.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be passing through some towns and cities too - I don't think he could avoid that since the trail is 2600+ miles long -that is what his girlfriend told me. I just hope he doesn't have a run in with wild life this time. On his last long hike he had a bear in his camp. The only thing between him and the bear was a nylon tent. Luckily the bear was more interested in his food, which he couldn't get to. See why I am worried??

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The hike is a little over 2000 miles I think. I put the incorrect name- it is the Pacific Crest Trail.
I'd never heard of the trail, till I read the book
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. It's a pretty good read. The book does dwell into her personal life, but there's a lot about her travels on the trail. She also did the trail on her own, but wasn't as prepared for the experience as your son probably is.

You'll have to post the highlights of his trip, once he's back home.

The book was also made into a movie with Reese Witherspoon.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, since the Strayed book the trail has become even more popular. To me, if it’s something you always thought about doing, go do it. Too much of life gets in the way of adventures when we get older. But of course as moms our job is to worry while they adventure.