My sister’s kitty Bixby—any idea what his breed is?

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve been cat-sitting for my sis, and curious as to what his breed or mix is.

His fur is super super fine, and wispy, and prone to matting. It almost looks like down feather it’s so fine. He’s very chatty, and chirps a lot. He’s also got a very sweet, laid back temperament. He doesn’t really resist claw trims, and lets me pick him up .

C5231FB7-31B1-4F4F-9A6A-F64E347E9D08.jpeg

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks a lot like a snowshoe, but he is probably just a pointed domestic longhair. Most cats aren't any particular breed.

He certainly is beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd guess Ragdoll on first glance. Do you know if she got him from a breeder or not?
No breeder, she got him from local adoption event that was held at a Petco near where she lives.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been cat-sitting for my sis, and curious as to what his breed or mix is.

His fur is super super fine, and wispy, and prone to matting. It almost looks like down feather it’s so fine. He’s very chatty, and chirps a lot. He’s also got a very sweet, laid back temperament. He doesn’t really resist claw trims, and lets me pick him up .

View attachment 388635
Gorgeous kitty💕 looks rag dollish to me. Most have blue eyes. Let me do more research. How much does he weigh?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is about 12 lbs!
Male ragdolls are listed as weighing 15-20lbs! Birman males weigh between 10-15 lbs on average. Here is info and a collage of him with pb ragdoll and birman cat pics.
I think StefanZ is right, he looks Birman. But still ragdollish to me too, lol. Except Birmans also have blue eyes, are his eyes blue? I can’t tell in your pics. Birmans do not appear to have any white on their mask while ragdolls can. The Birman pics I found have smaller sections of white on their paws while not all pb rd are mitted I think rd can have a white chin while Birmans don’t apparently.

Does he have an undercoat? Birmans don’t. Birmans were bred with Persians and Siamese cats after WW2 when there were only two Birman cats left apparently.

With pb rd blue point mitted cat pics
C553A9A8-3AE5-4ABF-81D4-937EFAFCDDF2.png

With pb Birman blue point pics:
DC9ACDA7-EB65-4F57-84E2-D71DBC363AB2.png

DC9ACDA7-EB65-4F57-84E2-D71DBC363AB2.png

Birman vs Ragdoll — The Little Carnivore

Ragdoll – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Ragdoll - Wikipedia

Birman Cat

Birman – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say just a domestic long hair. All colorpoints have blue eyes, and colorpoints are very common in domestic short and long hair breeds. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Male ragdolls are listed as weighing 15-20lbs! Birman males weigh between 10-15 lbs on average. Here is info and a collage of him with pb ragdoll and birman cat pics.
I think StefanZ is right, he looks Birman. But still ragdollish to me too, lol. Except Birmans also have blue eyes, are his eyes blue? I can’t tell in your pics. Birmans do not appear to have any white on their mask while ragdolls can. The Birman pics I found have smaller sections of white on their paws while not all pb rd are mitted I think rd can have a white chin while Birmans don’t apparently.

Does he have an undercoat? Birmans don’t. Birmans were bred with Persians and Siamese cats after WW2 when there were only two Birman cats left apparently.

With pb rd blue point mitted cat pics
View attachment 389515

With pb Birman blue point pics:
View attachment 389514

View attachment 389514

Birman vs Ragdoll — The Little Carnivore

Ragdoll – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Ragdoll - Wikipedia

Birman Cat

Birman – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc
Thanks! His eyes are blue. He doesn’t seem to have an undercoat, all of his fur seems to be really really fine, silky and almost like downy. And dense! He has to be groomed very often or else he gets mats. He’s also very chatty, and chirps a lot. Based on these collages he seems most similar to Birmans, but who knows he could also just be mixed too.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All pointed cats have blue eyes so that's not an indication of breed.
I am aware however this kitty’s eyes do not look blue to me, maybe it is just the light/ photo and surrounding colors etc. They appear to look more gray than blue. I have seen a huge range in how blue they can look though in various blue eyed cats. Sometimes Quinn’s eyes look deep blue and at others lighter.
Thanks! His eyes are blue. He doesn’t seem to have an undercoat, all of his fur seems to be really really fine, silky and almost like downy. And dense! He has to be groomed very often or else he gets mats. He’s also very chatty, and chirps a lot. Based on these collages he seems most similar to Birmans, but who knows he could also just be mixed too.
well he is most likely not pb of course and without papers would not be considered to be, but agree he does seem more Birman like. As someone pointed out all pointed cats have blue eyes but to me in the photos anyway they looked more gray. But blue eyes especially in pointed cats I have noticed take on a lot of different tones and some have very deep blue while others are more washed out even with the variations in lighting etc. The blue is not actual pigmentation, it is an appearance based on reflected light because pointed cats are partial albinos and don’t have normal pigmentation in their eyes.

My Quinn who is a pb traditional siamese sealpoint has a whole range of blues for his eyes depending on the light and his surroundings. But I have noticed mixed pointed cats often tend to have lighter more grayish blues overall. Anyway he is a beauty💕 I love chirpy cats. Quinn has a very sing songy meow and a whole range of sounds too, he chatters a lot and he loves when I do it, lol, but not the loud honking meow which is typical of some meezers. While my Wizard, a mix had that louder meezer meow.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue eyes and color points were not in western cats till Siamese were introduced.
I think he is Birman looking. The likely story around the Birman, is long haired Russian cats and Siamese or Burmese mixed in in prewar France. Not a temple cat from Burma but still very beautiful cats.
I don't think he is a random longhaired cat but either half or full Birman or Ragdoll.
Gorgeous cat 🌼