my seven month old kitten needs to gain weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two months back my family and I talked about getting a kitten. We finally went to a little. shelter and got our sweet, very shy, very small kitten. Her being underweight went unnoticed for a while since our older cat is so overweight. The kitten started to get gunky eyes and a stuffed up nose. Turns out she had a respiratory infection, she got very sick and stoped eating, as did the older cat. Now their problems are cleared up. The older. cat is now back to her old self again. My little kitten however, now spends most of her day hiding under my bed and barely comes out, even to eat. I usually put the food directly infront of her in hopes to get her to eat or at least be less scared of me... She's seven months old and growing in lenght but not putting on any weight. She weight merely 4.4 pounds. She's all sking and bones. She hides for such long periods of time that light hurts her eyes and she has trouble walkong in a straight line. My vet told me she was only hiding cause she was sick... A that once the infection was cleared that she would become more active again... But, she hasn't. Any ideas on how to get my playful little kitten back, or how to help her gain weight?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi @RebeccaLynn

Is she still sick?  Is she still getting any treatments?

Is she getting wet food and dry food? 

How much is she eating? 

Have you tried different foods?

How are her stools?

What is she like when you hold her?  Does she allow that?

I'm very concerned about your kitten and I'm not sure your vet is as concerned as he needs to be. In my opinion she needs a complete exam and full work up and full blood panel.  It sounds more serious than just a garden variety URI (cold).  Also was she tested for FIV/FeLV?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agree I am very concerned about your kitten. I think a vet visit is required ASAP. If the URI has cleared up, I suggest a blood panel and fecal panel be done.

Has your kitten been tested for FIV and leukemia??

The fact that she has weight problems and appears to have vision problems, I for sure would be concerned about FIP (and I do not throw that around lightly.)

Definitely want to rule out a parasite that could be contributing to her problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My personal vet has tested her for FIV and Leukemia. All of her tests came back negative. They did a blood panel. She just seems to scared to come out and eat.  

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They said that she wasn't sick anymore.  She finished her medication a few weeks ago for the URI,  The shelter we got her from said that they tested her for everything.  Yet they let us take her home with an Infection.  I give her both wet and dry food.  The dry food stays out all day in case she wants to graze on it.  She gets wet food only at night.  She allows us to hold her, she's very scared at first but after about a minute or so she is comfortable and purring.  After she's comfortable she's like any other loveable little kitten, she curls up on you and rubs her head against you.  

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since she's eaten? lt sounds like she saw a vet when she was sick with the URI but not since. l would strongly recommend a vet visit immediately.

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She eats every day for the most part.  Not always a lot.  But always at least some.  If there isn't someone watching over her so she can't run away she'll eat.  If not she takes off.  I make sure everyday that at least something goes into her.  Even if she only drinks the dish of Milk replacer... My vet told us that after the medication that she wouldn't need to go in again until she was large enough for us to get her fixed. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She eats every day for the most part.  Not always a lot.  But always at least some.  If there isn't someone watching over her so she can't run away she'll eat.  If not she takes off.  I make sure everyday that at least something goes into her.  Even if she only drinks the dish of Milk replacer... My vet told us that after the medication that she wouldn't need to go in again until she was large enough for us to get her fixed. 
It sounds like she needs some intensive socialization and possibly different foods that interest her.  Can you take a picture of her, both profile and one from above looking down at her when she is standing not sitting or lying?

rebeccalynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help. I'm very thankful. But with a heavy heart my vet and I chose that putting my kitten down was what was for the best. She had destroyed all her muscle and tissues and began to eat away at her organs. Againn thank you very much for your help and support

Status
Not open for further replies.