My senior cat has started dreaming when she sleeps..........

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone have knowledge of what this is about?

I put it in the health forum because knowing cats the way I do, despite my lack of experience with old cats,  I think something might be up with her health.

I realize it's time for a full blood panel to be done.

Simone has been a picture of health since rescuing her about 9 or 10 years ago. At that time I took her straight to a vet for exam and fiv/felv testing, checked for spay and she had been.

We couldn't determine so accurately how old she might be, her teeth were as clean as a kitten's, however knowing she had lived off of rodents, etc for at least a year and likely more, (it had been a year that I had seen her now and then when feeding my colonies) so vet said maybe 3-5 yrs old then, which makes her 13-14 now.

I suspect she may have been a little bit older even since her hind legs have a bit of arthritis going on this past year or so.

She's the same as always but doesn't jump like she used to, sleeps more which is common for aging cats.

But the past few weeks now, she makes sounds in her sleep, dreaming type sounds. Not pain sounds. Little peeps and mews, hard to describe, but it really doesn't seem to be from pain.

She is napping in my dresser drawer right now and just did it again, so I thought I'd ask others who have senior cats if they have any idea what this is about.

As I said, it is time for a vet visit, I will get her in sometime this next week likely.

I had an idea on this, I wonder if it is happening because lately her sleep seems to be a deeper sleep, which would allow her to dream...

This is Simone.

This is her napping in my drawer :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As my Callie got older, she did the same thing.  She used to sleep on a big "ball" type bed next to my side of the bed and sometimes at night would wake me up with her noises.  I'd gently rest my hand on her and she'd calm down.  I think that as they get older, the just sleep deeper. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As my Callie got older, she did the same thing.  She used to sleep on a big "ball" type bed next to my side of the bed and sometimes at night would wake me up with her noises.  I'd gently rest my hand on her and she'd calm down.  I think that as they get older, the just sleep deeper. 
That's pretty much what I am concluding, I hope that's what it is.

I do the same, softly put my hand on her for comfort, and to bring her back from her dream state :)

Thank you.