My semi feral cat has disappeared

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To all of the wonderful people on this thread: I hope I got all of you listed here but if I missed you I include you too. I want to thank you all so much for your unending support this year. You provided the advice, experiences, and encouragement that kept me going in the time I needed it most. You helped me get my Redford home. I hope you all have a blessed holiday season, and that 2017 brings you and your furbabys much happiness. I have learned so much from you all, shared your joys and challenges, and I am so grateful to each and every one of you. I hope we can continue sharing, hoping, and learning from our experiences, and our gorgeous creatures. Thank you for all you do.  Alex134.

To

@Norachan, @ZedXyzed  @JMarkitell, @kittychick, @ShadowsRescue

@CalicosRSpecial

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex134,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful message. That really means so much.

Thank you for all you have done to save the lives of cats. Redford is one lucky guy.

I wish you and all your family a Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous new year. You deserve all the goodness one can have.

If you ever need anything I am sure we will all be here for you.

All the best.

CRS

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks,

Callie has disappeared again, which he has for the last 3 years around this time. He usually re-appears in March or April..hopefully he will come by sooner than this. I'd like to know where he goes to when he disappears like this. I fattened him up a little before he left again, but I hope he comes back sooner than later. Redford seems like he is settled in for the duration...I wish all the folks and all of the kittys a great and warm holiday!

Jim

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again,

This is just an update on the end of March. Callie hasn't returned yet from his winter absence, although he often doesn't show up until mid April. I'm always worried that he won't return but he has for the last 4 or 5 years. I wish he would stay for the winter, but Callie is a true feral and lives by his own rules. I'm hoping he shows up soon! How is Redford doing? I haven't heard any updates from our other missing ferals and hope that they are all in good shape and coming home again.

CALLIE COME HOME!!

Jim M - Calico Less

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing Callie comes home very soon!!  I know how hard it is to wait.................  Good luck!!

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks,

It has been quite a while since I have seen Callie, who usually returns from his winter vacation by April at the latest. He was last seen in the fall but I'm losing hope that he will return. I have said this every year since we met, but this year seems to be different. I was reading over some of the older posts and thinking of Redford and Gin ...two other ferals that have disappeared. Lets hope everything works out for everyone...nothing is worse than not knowing how our independent cats are doing!
CALLIE COME HOME!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear he's not back yet jmarkitell jmarkitell

:alright:

Gin kun will have been gone for 1 year in July. I still think of him every day and keep a look out for him when I go on my walks. It's a big forest, so who knows? He could still be out there somewhere.

Vibes for Callie and all our other absent friends.

:vibes:

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jmarkitell jmarkitell , sorry Callie is not making his usual appearance. He MUST be getting support somewhere else. He know what he is doing. So hard to wait, I know.
Thanks for asking after Redford. He is doing fine, still very standoffish, but likes his friend Figaro. They have a third floor apartment in my house. The woman who cared for Reford while he was lost all those weeks is having problems with neighbors regarding her care of several ferals. I am trying to help her figure out something. Please, if anyone has any advice on relocating ferals, i would love to hear it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
jmarkitell jmarkitell , sorry Callie is not making his usual appearance. He MUST be getting support somewhere else. He know what he is doing. So hard to wait, I know.
Thanks for asking after Redford. He is doing fine, still very standoffish, but likes his friend Figaro. They have a third floor apartment in my house. The woman who cared for Reford while he was lost all those weeks is having problems with neighbors regarding her care of several ferals. I am trying to help her figure out something. Please, if anyone has any advice on relocating ferals, i would love to hear it.
Do you need help finding a place to relocate them to or help on getting them to settle in to a new location?

Maybe you could start a new thread about them? Give us all the details you can, it will help us think of something.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you need help finding a place to relocate them to or help on getting them to settle in to a new location?

Maybe you could start a new thread about them? Give us all the details you can, it will help us think of something.
Hello Norachan Norachan , Thank you for the excellent suggestion. I will start a new thread and put in all of the details. We need to find a place to relocate the cats.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Folks,
Its mid July and Callie has not returned from his winter absence. I'm hoping he is still in the area, but with all of the new homes being built around my formerly rural area, there is no shortage of potential food sources for the old boy! I hope that he shows up just to let me know that he is OK, though. All of my other cats are doing well, although my 19-20 year old girl, Moose, is getting thin and has some arthritis. She is still a good eater and enjoys company, so I think she has a few good years left. Thats about it for my collection.
I'm glad to hear that Redford is still included in the family...stand-offish or not :). Its good to hear positive news about other cats, Redford being one I can identify with, and Gin, who is in the same boat as Callie. Take care, everyone!

Jim

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Folks,
Its mid July and Callie has not returned from his winter absence. I'm hoping he is still in the area, but with all of the new homes being built around my formerly rural area, there is no shortage of potential food sources for the old boy! I hope that he shows up just to let me know that he is OK, though. All of my other cats are doing well, although my 19-20 year old girl, Moose, is getting thin and has some arthritis. She is still a good eater and enjoys company, so I think she has a few good years left. Thats about it for my collection.
I'm glad to hear that Redford is still included in the family...stand-offish or not :). Its good to hear positive news about other cats, Redford being one I can identify with, and Gin, who is in the same boat as Callie. Take care, everyone!

Jim
Hello jmarkitell jmarkitell - so sorry Callie is not back. Oh, how I hate the wait! I saw an earlier post with his photo - he looks an awful lot like my Radar - former feral boy, now a full blown house cat. I coaxed him in from the winter weather last December, and while he was in and out for months, I have decided to keep him inside. After his last checkup, he was diagnosed with FIV. I was surprised because the first test he had April 2016 was negative for FIV. The vet explained that it can take up to six months to show up once a cat is infected. He is a sweet wonderful boy, has made such great progress in 6 months and is very bonded to me - I will post a photo when I download them from my phone. I also have a 20 year old - my Dante has been with me since he was 7 weeks old. He is truly my baby. He is getting thin also, and I try so hard to keep his weight up. He used to be quite hefty. Still very feisty, though. Also a good eater. I asked the vet for B 12 supplements for him, and I give him an injection every four weeks. It seems to help him a lot. Dante also gets meds for overactive thyroid. Have you had Moose tested for overactive thyroid? Thanks for remembering Redford - he is who he is and I wouldn't change him for anything. Despite his crankiness I do believe he enjoys being here with us. Be well.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope he has found someone to take care of him jmarkitell jmarkitell

I've started helping a friend to TNR a colony of cats a few miles away from here. I was kind of hoping that Gin might have made his way down there, but he hasn't. It's all ginger boys and calico girls.

Sorry to hear about Radar alex134 alex134 Being FIV positive isn't the end of the world, as long as you take good care of him there is no reason he shouldn't have a long and healthy life.

Give your boys a hug for me.

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope he has found someone to take care of him jmarkitell jmarkitell

I've started helping a friend to TNR a colony of cats a few miles away from here. I was kind of hoping that Gin might have made his way down there, but he hasn't. It's all ginger boys and calico girls.

Sorry to hear about Radar alex134 alex134 Being FIV positive isn't the end of the world, as long as you take good care of him there is no reason he shouldn't have a long and healthy life.

Give your boys a hug for me.
Norachan Norachan , you are absolutely correct about FIV. I now have 2 FIV positive cats. Good luck with the TNR, that is a wonderful thing to do for the colony.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:lolup::lolup::lolup:

This morning my daughter woke me up at 5 AM while getting ready for work. She usually doesn't bother me, especially at 5 AM. She told me to follow her and took me outside...there waiting for me was CALLIE!!!:lolup: I haven't seen him for half a year and had all but given up on him. He ran to me and swirled around my legs and gave copious head butts...it was wonderful!! He was half the size I usually kept him at, but seemed to be in good shape and not emaciated. He quickly remembered his routine and gave his sign that he was hungry...a full can of Friskies and some dry food was served for breakfast. Its now dinner and I think some beef with Gravy would suffice for his return dinner.:) I simply can't believe he has come back, like he never left. This is his way and he has done it for years. Welcome back Callie!!
I still hold out hope for Gin...I feel he is Callie's counterpart from far away and wish him the best. With Callie's return, anything is possible. Callie seemed better socialized than he usually is, so he must have another family that he is dividing his time with. I hope Gin has a homecoming soon!

Jim

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:lolup::lolup::lolup:

This morning my daughter woke me up at 5 AM while getting ready for work. She usually doesn't bother me, especially at 5 AM. She told me to follow her and took me outside...there waiting for me was CALLIE!!!:lolup: I haven't seen him for half a year and had all but given up on him. He ran to me and swirled around my legs and gave copious head butts...it was wonderful!! He was half the size I usually kept him at, but seemed to be in good shape and not emaciated. He quickly remembered his routine and gave his sign that he was hungry...a full can of Friskies and some dry food was served for breakfast. Its now dinner and I think some beef with Gravy would suffice for his return dinner.:) I simply can't believe he has come back, like he never left. This is his way and he has done it for years. Welcome back Callie!!
I still hold out hope for Gin...I feel he is Callie's counterpart from far away and wish him the best. With Callie's return, anything is possible. Callie seemed better socialized than he usually is, so he must have another family that he is dividing his time with. I hope Gin has a homecoming soon!

Jim
I read this and am doing a happy dance for you jmarkitell jmarkitell - sooooooo happy for you and for Callie. What a great surprise you got this morning. Well deserved for all of your worry these months. You never gave up hope.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I checked on him several times last night and gave him a snack around 3AM. He got his can of Friskies and some dry food this morning for breakfast...a happy cat!! I worry that he will leave again, which he has done before. Since he is so skinny, at least compared to his former beefiness, I'm trying to get him plenty of calories and protein to build up a little fat before winter returns. It just SO great having him re-appear like this...I'll try to get some pictures of him before he disappears again, although I'll do whatever I can to convince him to stay around. Any ideas are appreciated!

alex134

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jmarkitell jmarkitell , is there any way you could coax him into a trap? If I recall you said he was not neutered. That would certainly help to calm him down and maybe encourage him to stay around. All that good food he missed for so long should also help to keep him in place for a while. Catnip and fresh roasted chicken or baby food as a treat is very appealing as well. Where does he stay at night? Do you have outdoor shelters? Look forward to seeing some pics. Meanwhile, you two friends enjoy your reunion.