My Scratched Scratched My Eye Lid.

Clawsout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have had my cat for a little over two months. She is handful to say the least because she constantly meows. The vet thinks she is part Siamese because of her bird like meows 24/7. Well she is a very active 2 year old. I play with her at least 6 times a day for 15-30 minutes. But she still always wants more. That's okay though I don't mind in fact I try to play with her a lot because the more I play with her the day before the more I get to sleep in the next day.

That brings me to the scratch. So a couple weeks ago she started doing this thing where she rubs up against me when I'm sleeping trying to get me to wake up. It's all cute and fun until I open my eyes and if I don't get up instantly she will start biting me. (This alarm clock will not let me hit snooze) It's not a hurtful bite in fact she bites a lot when you play and don't have a toy she doesn't mind using hands as toys. But it never breaks the skin. Also, I stop playing with her and grab a toy so she knows not to play bite. But the problem is when she wants attention in the morning she has been getting more aggressively playful. Last week I woke up with a scratch on my knee and this morning I have a few on my arm and two by my eye. One that's actually on my eyelid.

She only likes to play when someone is there with her. She won't play by herself. And she is not food motivated I got her a treat toy and she won't play with it at all. She has an automatic feeder and water fountain so there is no need to wake me up for that. Is there anything I can do so she stops playing with me in my sleep?

catlover1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Was she a stray/rescue? If she was a stray she would have been outside all the time so maybe you could buy a harness and take her on walks to burn some energy. When I rescued my cat 8 years ago, she was a stray. I felt bad about keeping her cooped up in a house, so I started taking her on little walks. She LOVED it! But, if you live in a neighborhood watch out for people walking their dogs. And, of course, be prepared for some strange looks from other people;) . Just remember it takes time to get some cats adjusted to a harness and if she doesn't want to go outside don't force it. O yeah, one more thing: try getting some pheromones like Feliway. I bought some of the spray and the cats slept the whole day:lol:. Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clawsout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat lover!

Yes she was stray! I do take her for walks daily around our complex. She loves it almost too much though because she constantly wants out and will try to escape when I get home from work. Maybe I can take her out more though for longer though.

I will definitely try the pheromones though that sounds initeresting. Thank you so much for the advice!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can teach your cat not to try to wake you. First with a warning like "stop", "no", "down", then you put her on the floor and if she comes backs and continue use you shut her out of your room for a while. If you do this consistently and don't allow her to come continue her behavior, she will learn that the only way to stay in your bed is to leave you alone.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi clawsuit, I just wanted to say that I had the same problem with my cat Cucumella until I did exactly what susanm9006 advises you to do and it worked. At the time I was afraid she would accidentaly get a claw in one of my eyes. I think it was putting her out of the room that helped the most. I would find her in the morning lying behind the door. I'm sure it ill work for you. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clawsout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! I will definitely try that tomorrow morning and see if that works!