My Roommates Insist On Using Air Fresheners

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yes tell them you are getting migraines from their dumb chemical things. Personally i can't stand any chemical smells even from make up and hair spray which I don't use. The cats come first. And someone suggested talking separately to each roommate and that sounds like a good idea. You can set out the baking soda box behind a box in the livingroom to give it some relief from smells but yeah cats don't smell! Unless they get into something stinky. It is so hard to stand up for yourself and your heart will be pounding but you will feel so much better after it's done. So use this as practice. I find if i use myself as the reason its easier to advocate for. Because no one likes being sick. So it is not too late to change your story. You can say it now affects you.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I were stuck with the roommates I would ask them what exactly is the smell issue. Maybe you can compromise. Some people see a cat and they automatically smell cat, even if a neutral observer would smell nothing, because they've been conditioned to think cats smell. On the other hand, some animal owners are completely unaware that their living space smells like a zoo (not saying this is you). I have one cat, two litter boxes, and once I got a litter that itself didn't smell I have no odor except SOMETIMES after a big poop. Litter boxes in this day and age don't have to smell, so that's fixable if they have a problem with litter boxes.

In return for you working on whatever their issue is, their keeping smell devices out of common areas and well out of range in non-common areas seems fair. Remembering that with a cat(s) the whole house is a common area to them. I like aromatherapy stuff and I have managed to find things that aren't too strong and that can be put out of reach. And my cat's a climber.

At bottom line, they did move in knowing you had cats. It just helps you keep the smell chemicals to a minimum for your cat's sake if you do address, as much as possible, whatever their issues are.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, you are absolutely right! Some people just have no appreciation of the finer things in life!
There is actually a (currently inactive) thread here for Cat Huffers. You should read it. It's hilarious.

And then the house smells like a salad!
Not so much as one would think, actually. It isn't bad at all. Or, not after the first hour or three.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You obviously love your pets protecting them from chemicals is a good thing. I use pellets for litter NO odors, less chance of being accused for being nose blind, also using a fan nearby 24/7 is a huge benefit if you have no air conditioner...fingers crossed that a happy medium is found with your roomates.

Thanks for the replies. For more detail, the situation is they moved in with me, I was pretty desperate to get roommates because my sister abruptly left and I don't have a lot of income in a really expensive city, so I was really happy when these two new roommates agreed to move in very fast. They were really nice and close to my age. I told them first thing that I live with cats and they're important to me, and they said cool. I didn't know they never had pets.

Honestly, I don't have the guts to tell them to leave, plus the rent here is too much for me, I'm thinking I should be the one to leave, if it comes to that. But I'd rather them just. Not use their stupid chemicals.

I just hate when people expect cats to be like cute decor, like they aren't really part of the home so they shouldn't have to accommodate for them :(

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think your roommates sound awful. To be honest I would be looking for other room mates. Talking about you behind your back to other ppl, you sound to me as you are a caring cat mummy. I would have told them like you did reminding them no air freshners if they carried on disrespecting I'm afraid they would be out along with the disgusting air freshners, they are taking the mickey out of you, knowing full well you won't stand up to them, they moved in with you and it sounds like they rule the roost. You're health n the health of your cats are paramount. I hate to see people bring taken advantage of, you and your cats deserve to live in a calm environment,

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It can be really difficult talking over living space issues with people you share with, esp when it is a pretty new arrangement and when to stay there your self you need someone to share rent with. What I think the biggest risk here is is not having at least some level of open conversation about what is happening. It may not even be the 'cat smell' that they are wanting to mask, or it could be a specific aspect of living with cats and their special fragrances that is bothering them. Either way something is bothering both you and them so in the interests of any chance of a happy and relaxed home a way to talk about what's happening is needed.

It doesn't have to be all confrontation and conflict. It can be polite and respectful of flat mates to ask what products they are using and what their purpose is, even to say directly you are worried they find some of the 'life with cat' smells unpleasant. If that's the case you can check out what those smells are and maybe, as others have said, it could be something you have become nose-blind to. You might even find that it has nothing to do with your furry flat mates but some other odour in the apartment which you have become used to. Sharing living space is about sharing and compromise and it can be really hard.

With regards to products they are using, if something irritates you or affects your health in some way then it seems reasonable to let them know about this and check if there is something else they like which might be better. Essential oils are only poisonous if they are ingested as far as I am aware so if they are in a drawer or other place the cats can't get in to then there may not be an issue other than if you intensely dislike the smell. As for air fresheners, some people use them routinely and have no issues with their health or their cats' and believe it is fine to do so while others worry about long term effects. Personally I don't use air fresheners regularly but do keep one handy in case of nasty niffs coming from one of the sinks in my apartment which happens occasionally and have been known to give a room a good blasting after some particularly 'fragrant' litter tray deposit has been made and scooping hasn't been adequate to clear the air. I figure the room spray is less of a health hazard than the naturally produced toxic gas one of the cats currently resident here seems to produce... (Mouse's poop smells like perfume of course)!