My roommates are neglecting their cat

Yournextdoorshaman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Y’all my roommates have been neglecting their cat so I started caring for him. He was super underweight and in the 4-5 days I’ve been hiding him in my room so that they don’t throw him outside ( I live in Florida) they haven’t bought him food or taken care of his poo box. Their reasoning to throwing him outside is because he had shit in the tub & they blame him for accidents around the house when I think it’s their dog because he peed on my bed too. We’ve hinted at them letting us take him and even though they treat him like garbage my roommates husband is “attached” so they don’t want us to take him when we leave. I have no idea what to do and he clearly has disabilities but instead of changing their shitty attitude they get angry at him. I have no idea what to do or how to even approach them about neglecting their cat. I know they’ve noticed me taking over his care but they haven’t said anything other than “oh thanks for doing that, you didn’t need to” Have any advice? 🥺😭 It’s absolute BS that they are treating him this way. Even our neighbors noticed and were concerned.

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Intervention. Call animal protective services. Adopt him when he's in their custody...or take him when you leave. Don't look back. Meanwhile take care of him while you can...they don't deserve him. He has litterbox issues because he's stressed out. Are your roommates on drugs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yournextdoorshaman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No not at all. It’s crazy to me because they treat their dog perfectly fine. I definitely think we’re going to catnap him when we move out. He’s such a sweet guy

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he gone outside of the litterbox since you've had him in your room? If not then you are most likely correct that it's not from him. It's actually rare for Cats to defecate outside of a litterbox, and if they do it's because they're extremely stressed or can't get to the litterbox.

And if you really want to take him with you when you leave, then this is the best way to go about it:
Intervention. Call animal protective services. Adopt him when he's in their custody
If you just straight up take him with you when you leave then your roommates have legal grounds to press charges since he would be considered their property and it would be considered theft. Well, at least if they take him to the vet and pay for medical care. If they don't then yeah, you can just say "No we haven't seen him" if they eventually try to contact you asking about it after you move out. If they put him outside there's all kinds of things that can happen like being killed by a predator or hit by a car, and they'd have no evidence that you took him with you unless they see you loading him into your vehicle.

Of course, how far you are moving is also a factor. If you're moving to another state you'd be pretty safe just taking him with you since they're probably not going to stop by your new address to check. Even better if they don't know where you are moving to.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he gone outside of the litterbox since you've had him in your room? If not then you are most likely correct that it's not from him. It's actually rare for Cats to defecate outside of a litterbox, and if they do it's because they're extremely stressed or can't get to the litterbox.

And if you really want to take him with you when you leave, then this is the best way to go about it:

If you just straight up take him with you when you leave then your roommates have legal grounds to press charges since he would be considered their property and it would be considered theft. Well, at least if they take him to the vet and pay for medical care. If they don't then yeah, you can just say "No we haven't seen him" if they eventually try to contact you asking about it after you move out. If they put him outside there's all kinds of things that can happen like being killed by a predator or hit by a car, and they'd have no evidence that you took him with you unless they see you loading him into your vehicle.

Of course, how far you are moving is also a factor. If you're moving to another state you'd be pretty safe just taking him with you since they're probably not going to stop by your new address to check. Even better if they don't know where you are moving to.
25+ years working in law enforcement I can tell you, unless the cat is worth $200, it's a misdemeanor and extradition would only be in state only. That said if you are moving out of state, you are golden. ;)

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
No not at all. It’s crazy to me because they treat their dog perfectly fine. I definitely think we’re going to catnap him when we move out. He’s such a sweet guy
From what you describe about their dog peeing in the house and your bed, it really does not sound like they treat their dog perfectly fine.

These people should not own animals. Even if you take the cat, I’d still report them.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise

If she takes him to a vet, can provide receipts for food, photos/video of her sheltering him, of how dirty the litterbox his owners had was on various days, and of how thin he was before she took over his care, plus she was the one currently in possession of him - then an argument could be made. She’d have a really good shot of winning too.

At least in Texas, we’ve had a lot of luck working on cases like these.

That’s a lot of hassle though, of course. But on the up side, it might be too much hassle for the “owners” to want to pursue (owners like these nearly always drop the charges, especially if the other person has evidence of neglect and of providing care for the animal).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yournextdoorshaman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I figured I’d log back on and give everyone an update on Chello! He has been with us over 6 months now, and when we left his previous owners didn’t even ask about him. He’s put on weight and loves his new home, and his new siblings. It’s been a journey but we love this little guy. He even initiates play with my dog. It’s awesome watching is personality come out.

Attachments