My roommate is allergic to my unscented cat litter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has allergy-caused asthma and reacts badly to many things. I use unscented Arm & Hammer but it does have a smell even just from the package. I’m pretty sure it’s the culprit. We have one elderly cat with no litter box problems. Is there a good basic clumping litter with absolutely no scent? All suggestions welcome!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know which litter you can use but I have experience with "unscented" products.
I have a skin condition that is worsened when I use soap or laundry detergent that contains fragrances and colorants. If I avoid using products with fragrances in them, the problem goes away.

I tried using "unscented" products with limited success. After some research, I found out that there is a difference between "unscented" and "fragrance-free" products.

"Unscented" products DO have fragrances in them. They are put in to counteract the naturally occurring scent of the product's ingredients. The fragrances mask the smell of the product in order to give it a neutral scent.
That's why products that are labeled "unscented" don't work for me.

"Fragrance-Free" products have NO fragrances or scent masking substances in them, at all, but that doesn't mean that they are unscented. (i.e. have no smell.) They have a normal smell but it's because of the product's ingredients without the masking fragrances.

I like to use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap to wash with. It doesn't exacerbate my skin rash. It's a good, environmentally sensitive product and, besides, it's just good soap. Some Dr. Bronner's soaps have peppermint oil or almond oil in them to give them a pleasant smell but if you use the "Baby Mild" version, there isn't anything in it besides soap. You CAN detect the smell of the soap. So, even though it is "fragrance-free," it is not "unscented."

The reason I mention this is because, if your roommate is sensitive to fragrances, using an "unscented" cat litter might not work for you because, even though the package says "unscented" it still has fragrances in it.

I suggest that you look for a cat litter that is FRAGRANCE-FREE instead of just "unscented."

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Morning ! Peanut is allergic to certain kitty litters, I found out. I used an arm & hammer one. She started sneezing, and shaking her head... like she had ear mites ! and scratching . I thought she was sick, until I realized it was only after she used the litter box ! I tossed the litter and bought fragrance free ... viola ! all better ! Chewy has several options available. Dr. Elsey or Natures Miracle brands seem good, but I found just about any one is ok.. better than ones with scent in them ! She would scratch in the litter , then groom herself, and of course the sneezing, head flipping would start...cuz the irritant was in her paws. after I tossed the litter, I washed her paws as well . I even bought store brand ( Target ) and worked fine. as long as its hypo-allergenic. Shop around. You can find all kinds of them. a local pet shop may be of help if you ask for advice. this isn't uncommon. they may be able to recommend one they carry. Good luck !!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's probably not the scent the dustiness of the litter. Most regular clumping litters are very dusty and the dust goes everywhere. Cats can track the dust out of the box and to the rest of the home. Paper based and wood based litters are supposed to be less dusty. You can give those a try.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would something like pretty litter work? It is dust free. I have never tried it though.