my rescue cat ran away 4 weeks ago. is she dead?

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I rescued a cat about 2-3 months ago. she was coming and going but it was hard for her to trust me. after I gained her trust I let her in but I didn't force her to stay. she left the other morning and came back at night. she did that for a month. I realized she wanted to stay with me. I decided to adopt her. was planning to get her spayed and microchip her but about 4 weeks ago she ran away and I haven't seen her yet. she had all the symptoms of a cat in heat! did she runaway cz she was in heat? is she alive or dead?
Thank you,

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If she wasn't spayed she has probably run off to look for a mate. If you were providing her with regular food and a safe space to stay she will most likely come back once she has mated. You should go ahead and get her spayed as soon as she comes back, in order to prevent her from having an unwanted litter. Are there a lot of cats in your neighborhood? Feral cat colonies tend to stay together, so you could look for her where the other cats usually are.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ye, the chances are she left looking for a mate. She still may show up. She may have been so involved she got lost or chased far away from home. you might circle the neighborhood in ever-widening circles and look for other cats to see if she has joined them. If you are on Facebook it is a great place to post a lost cat. If you have a picture, post that or describe her. Many pets have been found that way. If you haven't found signs of death, the chances are good she is OK, make sure you also leave a description at your local humane society. Recrute neighborhood kids too, offer a reward, they are great for scouting the area. Please come back and tell us what happens, we always wonder.....

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is even possible for them to hide out while pregnant so don’t stop feeding her. The chances or her coming back are great. She may be coming when she thinks no one can see her right now. If she does have kittens, she will probably, slowly start to bring them to eat when they are old enough. You may see little furred ones later so keep looking! The sooner you get the female, the better. Please do keep us updated and try not to get discouraged. She is probably nearby but as mentioned, keep looking and spread out the search area. You already gained her trust so she will be very likely to want to come back to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she wasn't spayed she has probably run off to look for a mate. If you were providing her with regular food and a safe space to stay she will most likely come back once she has mated. You should go ahead and get her spayed as soon as she comes back, in order to prevent her from having an unwanted litter. Are there a lot of cats in your neighborhood? Feral cat colonies tend to stay together, so you could look for her where the other cats usually are.
Thank you for helping me. I hadn't have the chance to spay her. it was a short time that I knew her. my worry is it's been 4 weeks she has been gone.

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ye, the chances are she left looking for a mate. She still may show up. She may have been so involved she got lost or chased far away from home. you might circle the neighborhood in ever-widening circles and look for other cats to see if she has joined them. If you are on Facebook it is a great place to post a lost cat. If you have a picture, post that or describe her. Many pets have been found that way. If you haven't found signs of death, the chances are good she is OK, make sure you also leave a description at your local humane society. Recrute neighborhood kids too, offer a reward, they are great for scouting the area. Please come back and tell us what happens, we always wonder.....
I walked all the way around the neighbourhood and put flyers everywhere. posted on Facebook and next-door. I check the local shelters every 2 h!! I feel she is alive. I think she might not be close to this area as well. thank you so much.

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is even possible for them to hide out while pregnant so don’t stop feeding her. The chances or her coming back are great. She may be coming when she thinks no one can see her right now. If she does have kittens, she will probably, slowly start to bring them to eat when they are old enough. You may see little furred ones later so keep looking! The sooner you get the female, the better. Please do keep us updated and try not to get discouraged. She is probably nearby but as mentioned, keep looking and spread out the search area. You already gained her trust so she will be very likely to want to come back to you.
my feelings are telling me she is alive. I hope she comes back. I did everything I could. I posted flyers. called the shelters. posted on Facebook and next-door. put food outside. walked all the way around the neighborhood several days. talked to feeders in the area... last hope: trying to find feral cat colonies. I saw her with some feral cats once, playing around. I think she might be with them. thank you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she knows the sound of a can of food being opened or a bag being shaken, that may draw her out. Looking for her after dark with a flashlight can cause her eyes to reflect very brightly abd you might spot her. A female in heat may hide to avoid other cats. Look under low things like buildings, look up at things like roof tops. IF she does get pregnant, she will probably be looking for a good place to stash kittens. Interior of garages, outbuildings and anywhere she can keep babies safe. She would probably keep them well hidden until she must find them solid good. That means really keeping watch for small movements by little ones. Late at night is often when I saw feral or skittish kitties moving about. When all the world is quiet and still they are more confident. Even mid morning can count because humans have left for work and car traffic is less. Just don’t give up. When she comes out of heat she will be hungry and this may be when she returns. A male might accompany her since mates often protect the females. Watch for Tom cats too. They may be a clue. I have had many females seem to vanish, only yo have them show back up or show up much later with precious babies. The earlier you befriend the babies, the better. Mom cats may try to play hide and seek when letting any creature see the babies but babies often disobey and make themselves known. Lol Babies befriended early will not be as skittish and often are not feral with early human contact. It could take some patience but I am thinking she is very, very close. :alright: One other thing, if you have children in the area that like cats, ask them. Kids often notice before adults.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of another tip. Look at the neighborhood birds. They usually put up a squeak to alert each other to people, dogs, cats and other things that annoy them. Watch and listen. Sometimes it is the sounds that tip us off. When birds are up for the day, start watching them.

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she knows the sound of a can of food being opened or a bag being shaken, that may draw her out. Looking for her after dark with a flashlight can cause her eyes to reflect very brightly abd you might spot her. A female in heat may hide to avoid other cats. Look under low things like buildings, look up at things like roof tops. IF she does get pregnant, she will probably be looking for a good place to stash kittens. Interior of garages, outbuildings and anywhere she can keep babies safe. She would probably keep them well hidden until she must find them solid good. That means really keeping watch for small movements by little ones. Late at night is often when I saw feral or skittish kitties moving about. When all the world is quiet and still they are more confident. Even mid morning can count because humans have left for work and car traffic is less. Just don’t give up. When she comes out of heat she will be hungry and this may be when she returns. A male might accompany her since mates often protect the females. Watch for Tom cats too. They may be a clue. I have had many females seem to vanish, only yo have them show back up or show up much later with precious babies. The earlier you befriend the babies, the better. Mom cats may try to play hide and seek when letting any creature see the babies but babies often disobey and make themselves known. Lol Babies befriended early will not be as skittish and often are not feral with early human contact. It could take some patience but I am thinking she is very, very close. :alright: One other thing, if you have children in the area that like cats, ask them. Kids often notice before adults.
Thank you, will do and let you guys know

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a funny and stupid question. is it possible instead of her coming back the boyfriend shows up and tries to make me follow him to her place???!!!!!!!!! I saw a big size male cat coming close to my place and wouldn't leave! just sitting there and watching my place. I am not sure if it's the neighbor's cat or a lost cat. just asking :/

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything is possible with cats! It is not a stupid question at all! I am wondering if your female has been leaving a scent trail that he is there to follow. I would not be at all surprised if she has walked there recently and could even been hiding nearby. Watch that male! Is he a neutered male? If not he could very well give away her location. Keep an eye on him! This could be a good sign. He may stick around because he knows where she is! Are you putting food out? Watch everything closely and listen too. One thing o did when desperate to find out if my female was eating was to put very fine sand around so that she left footprints. You may get other footprints too but it might work for you.

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if he was neutered or not. I am gonna wait and watch for him..may be follow him. I think she might be close as well

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anything is possible with cats! It is not a stupid question at all! I am wondering if your female has been leaving a scent trail that he is there to follow. I would not be at all surprised if she has walked there recently and could even been hiding nearby. Watch that male! Is he a neutered male? If not he could very well give away her location. Keep an eye on him! This could be a good sign. He may stick around because he knows where she is! Are you putting food out? Watch everything closely and listen too. One thing o did when desperate to find out if my female was eating was to put very fine sand around so that she left footprints. You may get other footprints too but it might work for you.
I don't want to lose hope but the area I am living in has some coyotes (1-2). I know that she is smart. I know she wouldn't go next to danger. she has been living on the streets for a while I guess. when I found her. she was hungry and dirty. at first she didn't let me touch her. then she became comfortable very fast. I bathed her. I fed her. she would sleep on my bed. I was not even a cat person. I had a bird who died last year after 14 years of being in my life. I think I fell in love with this kitty!
can pregnant cat jump? can she get herself easy to my place?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep looking for her. I just trapped Zena after nearly two years. He vanished if the first showing up right after being dumped, for maybe 3 to 4 months, and then I saw him on security cams, it was an on and off again thing but he was coming to eat that whole time but he got scared off by my other cats who use the shelters. I also was sure another kitty one of the first, little cat, had died and then I saw her after over a year eating outside on the patio. Unfortunately I have not seen her for another year and I think she has passed this time😿 I feel so sad I was not able to get her inside and keep her inside. I had her in once for TNR but she just didn’t seem to be able to adapt, I wish I had tried harder. She had already been tnr as well but nobody seemed to be able to figure it out because they thought her ear was injured.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much I can add that hasn't been addressed except ask if she was feral or not? 4 weeks is not a long time and like Jcatbird Jcatbird said she may be hiding. If she was very friendly she may have found a new caretaker. Hang in there and don't give up

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can get up much higher than we think. They can jump and then sink their claws into things to pull themselves up even higher. I had a very small female that I thought was missing but she was actually living on my roof! I finally got a ladder and started putting food there for her until I could get her. We have lots of predators here but cats are very, very smart. Look high and very low.

FFFMMM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there used to be more cats at the area I am living. even one day she came with another cat and I swear to God she went and said good bye to the other cat. the other one left and she came home. like kids after school..."hey my mom is calling me I am going see you tomorrow" I swear! now it's only one or two!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally believe and even wonder if she waved at the kitty. Lol The cats here watch movies together and have slumber parties. So far they haven’t shared a box of popcorn (:lol:) but do share kitty treats. :popcorn: The relationships and interactions are amazing.